Enhanced Search Improvements

Enhanced Search Improvements 1.3.0

No permission to download

Xon

Xon submitted a new resource:

Enhanced Search Improvements - XFES Improvements

A Collection of improvements to XF's Enhanced Search (Elastic Search). Does NOT work with MySQL search.
  • range_query search DSL
    • allows arbitrary range queries for numerical data
  • Allow users to select the default search order independent for the forum wide setting.
  • Per content type weighting (very hacky, likely to break when used against XF 2.0)

Note; this was a semi-private add-on used for a month before this public release.

Installation

I...

Read more about this resource...

@Stuart Wright this add-on support content type weighting for general searches without requiring re-indexing. It is a bit fiddly getting the weighting right, and I'ld love feed back on it.

How does this improve things? I dont fully understand this.
The range search allows numerical values to be searched for between two bounds (or greater/less than one bound). I use this in my word count search add-on and in the next version of Report Improvements add-on.

This allows you to find all posts with more than 1000 words, or every time a warning with exactly 500 warning points is deleted.

The per-content type weighting allows biasing search results based off content type. For example, I can make conversations nearly always return above posts.

The range search allows numerical values to be searched for between two bounds (or greater/less than one bound). I use this in my word count search add-on and in the next version of Report Improvements add-on.

This allows you to find all posts with more than 1000 words, or every time a warning with exactly 500 warning points is deleted.

The per-content type weighting allows biasing search results based off content type. For example, I can make conversations nearly always return above posts.
I'm none the wiser, I'm afraid. Could you write the description of what this does appropriate for dummies please?

I'm none the wiser, I'm afraid. Could you write the description of what this does appropriate for dummies please?

Besides being the foundation of for some of my other add-ons (word count search for example), it allows you to accomplish this:
We on AVForums want to use ES to weight the search results so that items in our products table are returned with the highest priority, then reviews, news and articles, then user reviews, then competitions, then threads.

Without access to DigitalPointSearch (as it is a paid addon), it is very hard to troubleshoot that.

I also sent them a note on it. It is amazing how a search add-on can take down the entire admin CP. :)

I just wish someone would fix Xenfono EleasticSearch so it does the simple things that it should without all these add-ons needed. ONE add-on would be nice, but Xenfono should already be doing most of it. (IMHO)

Having just moved to Xenfono, Search has been a issue vs what we had.

Just wanted to say that they have not responded to the note of the issue. At this time I have to disable your add-on or I can not get into the admin area.

Thanks. Hoping for XFES support, rather than having to maintain separately.
Attached is a small add-on (which depends on this add-on, Enhanced Search Improvements) which injects "Painless" script support into XFES. If Elastic Search isn't v5, this add-on will just do nothing.

Deploy the .painless script, restart elastic search to get it to load the new script and then install this add-on.

Been working fine on both my sites.

Attachments

It seems that this addon uses PHP syntax unique to 5.5+ (try/finally). It might be good to document this requirement; I started running into random syntax errors and refusal to rebuild the search table.

Top Bottom