[Endless Horizon] Social Share

[Endless Horizon] Social Share 2.2.3

No permission to download
Yep, was just about to update the post with that info... looks like @Chris D may have an issue with it - about to do a fresh install of it.

Hi @BobbyWibowo ,

2.1.2 seemed to work fine but 2.1.3 stops the popup from happening when I click share.

Any ideas ?

[ ETA ] removed the 2.1.3 version then installed 2.1.2 and working fine again

Last edited:
@andybond Was there any error message in the browser's console when pressing the share button? If you were using OpCache, try to clear the cache before upgrading. 2.1.3 merely changed a Template Modification and 2 lines from the PHP file (ref). And those two are supposed to be cache-able by OpCache.

@andybond Was there any error message in the browser's console when pressing the share button? If you were using OpCache, try to clear the cache before upgrading. 2.1.3 merely changed a Template Modification and 2 lines from the PHP file (ref). And those two are supposed to be cache-able by OpCache.
TBH I didnt check.

I just uninstalled , and installed 2.1.2

@andybond Oh well. The most likely cause that I can think of is opcache (either Zend OpCache or anything else). If the share button wouldn't trigger the popup, then the JS file was simply not being attached to the page properly (since 2.1.2 and 2.1.3 uses the exact same JS file, so any fault with the JS can be ruled out). And the one responsible to attach it to the page were those 2 things I mentioned in my previous reply, so yeah.

@andybond Oh well. The most likely cause that I can think of is opcache (either Zend OpCache or anything else). If the share button wouldn't trigger the popup, then the JS file was simply not being attached to the page properly (since 2.1.2 and 2.1.3 uses the exact same JS file, so any fault with the JS can be ruled out). And the one responsible to attach it to the page were those 2 things I mentioned in my previous reply, so yeah.
Ill update again at some point in the future and give you a shout back after implementing your recommendations

Must have been the defer js thingy ?
It's possible actually, if you used DeferJS add-on. Otherwise it's very unlikely.

Yesterday, I stopped using [bd] Cache add-on since I figured out that its "CSS to file" feature wasn't as great as PageSpeed's implementation. PageSpeed can combine CSS files, minify the combined version and store it into memory (using memcached). After that, the combined version can also be served through CDN by rewriting the domain for the particular improved version (built-in feature of PageSpeed as well). But I didn't like PageSpeed's method to defer JS so I used DeferJS add-on for that ([bd] Cache also had defer JS feature, but I didn't need the other extra features).
Everything was working fine last night. It also worked great with my add-on. But this night, after upgrading a particular add-on, for some reason the method I used to improve compatibility with [bd] Cache add-on bit me back while using DeferJS add-on. It broke the "key" thus preventing my add-on to attach settings for the share button (so yeah, it'd end up with similar issue as the one you had with 2.1.3). So I slightly modified the "key" into something that DeferJS should never break (and possibly [bd] Cache as well), then it worked great again.

@Alfa1 Unfortunately I have neither of those add-on. Though considering the way it integrates itself with XenForo, I'd assume it'd work just fine with XFRM. I'm not entirely sure about XFMG though. The "share this page" widget for XFMG seems different, but feel free to try.

This is amazing! Thank you so much!

It works for all threads, resources and events
  • Doesn't show up in via phone unless the screen is in wide mode. I'm sure this is something on my end but...
  • Would be AWESOME if this showed up in XenForo Media Gallery It's beautiful in resources area.
  • I'm trying out the Recons Team Marketplace and wow would it be awesome if this share would work for the store!
Keep up the great work! If this would work in the media and market, I'll for sure donate to this project!

Edit: I donated some for the work you already did, I'll donate MORE if it can work for other areas.

Last edited:
Doesn't show up in via phone unless the screen is in wide mode. I'm sure this is something on my end but...
It's XenForo's default behavior, unfortunately. You'll have to remove these lines from share_page.css template (should be on the very bottom):
Code:
<xen:if is="@enableResponsive">
@media (max-width:@maxResponsiveNarrowWidth)
{
    .Responsive .sharePage
    {
        display: none;
    }
}
</xen:if>
or you can simply wrap them within <xen:comment>...</xen:comment> tags.
Though now that I check again, there was really no need for my add-on to rely on share_page.css template. I suppose I'll remove that dependencies in the next version. For the time being anyway, you'll have to do that change manually.

Would be AWESOME if this showed up in XenForo Media Gallery It's beautiful in resources area.
I actually don't have Resource Manager and Media Gallery, but @andybond confirmed that this add-on appears to be working just fine with both of them (ref).

I'm trying out the Recons Team Marketplace and wow would it be awesome if this share would work for the store!
As long as that add-on uses the built-in Share This Page template (most add-on do), this add-on will seamlessly take over.

Edit: I donated some for the work you already did, I'll donate MORE if it can work for other areas.
Thank you very much for the donation ;) Honestly I was wondering where it came from after I received the email notification, lol

Last edited:
Amazing add-on Bobby thank you so much!

One question, how should I modify the template if I want to make it display as floating on the left side instead of a concrete button?
Something like this : https://www.evernote.com/l/AFqGxlgqfUNLQInE2vUj0VLJb0XaSL_R5r8

That is the ideal setup for me, but if it's not possible or too complicated, at least show 1 square button (with just the icon, no "share this page" text) as floating (follows the scroll).

I would definitely contribute if you can help me out figure this out, as in it's current default state I can't use it on my forum :/

Mehdi

Amazing add-on Bobby thank you so much!
You're welcome!
One question, how should I modify the template if I want to make it display as floating on the left side instead of a concrete button?
Something like this : https://www.evernote.com/l/AFqGxlgqfUNLQInE2vUj0VLJb0XaSL_R5r8
That setup will require various changes to the JavaScript file since the overlay display is being generated by the file on page's load. So yeah, it'll be somewhat too complicated (not impossible though, it'll just take some times).
but if it's not possible or too complicated, at least show 1 square button (with just the icon, no "share this page" text) as floating (follows the scroll).
I actually planned to add this feature a while ago but too lazy to do it. However I have finished it a couple minutes ago since I had a bit of time and it didn't take long. You can try this version: https://github.com/BobbyWibowo/EH_SocialShare/releases/tag/2.1.7. I won't release this version to XenForo Community yet though. There may be small bugs. So feel free to test that version and also please post your feedback.

I actually planned to add this feature a while ago but too lazy to do it. However I have finished it a couple minutes ago since I had a bit of time and it didn't take long. You can try this version: https://github.com/BobbyWibowo/EH_SocialShare/releases/tag/2.1.7. I won't release this version to XenForo Community yet though. There may be small bugs. So feel free to test that version and also please post your feedback.

Thank you for the reply mate !
I installed it, and :

- Floating button doesn't appear on any page.
- Big "Share this page" button appears in permalink Overlay, but :
> now permalink needs to be clicked twice to trigger the overlay
> clicking the "Share this page" button just reloads the page and nothing more.

What infos can I share with you from the code or console to help fix this ?

Last edited:
That's weird. Did you make sure to enable the option? If you uploaded the XML file correctly, then it should have shown the floating button on all pages served by XenForo (excluding Admin pages) after you enabled the option. I checked the code in GitHub and there didn't seem to be any faults.
Also it shouldn't have affected Share This Post button in post's permalink since there was no change to the JavaScript file.
Can you see any error messages in your browser console on page load and when you click on the buttons (both floating if visible and Share This Post in post's permalink)?

Top Bottom