1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 Email notifications filtered as SPAM in gmail! HELP

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by NeoCHI, Aug 20, 2014.

1. NeoCHI

NeoCHI Active Member

I've recently migrated my server to a new hosting company and now my email notifications don't work. Anyone have any ideas how to resolve this issue?

2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Sending emails is the domain of the server itself -- at least if you use the standard email system which sends them through PHP. Your host should be able to provide guidance.

If they can't sort it, you can flip to use an external SMTP server.

3. NeoCHI

NeoCHI Active Member

This was their response:

Look like your forum app is not generating mails or its from address is different. I suggest to check with the application developer to find the root cause.

Anyway I can resolve this myself?

4. Mike

Presumably they've identified something based on the "from address is different" comment, but they're not being clear on what it is -- or specifically, what restrictions they have in place.

You may need to look at using SMTP instead.

5. NeoCHI

NeoCHI Active Member

They've just responded with:

I believe the issue is being caused by the SMTP_BLOCK feature of the CSF firewall.

When SMTP_BLOCK is enabled, the firewall prevents non-privileged users from sending mail via SMTP over TCP. This is enabled by default on our VPS's as an anti-spam measure, but we can disable it at your request.

To address the issue, you might be able to configure Xenforo to use the "PhpMail method" to send mail via the sendmail command-line interface.

Alternatively, we can probably address this without modifying Xenforo's configuration by disabling SMTP_TWEAK. Would you like me to do this now?

What should I have them do?

6. Mike

Wait, so you're using SMTP already? (This is something you would have configured in XenForo yourself.)

7. NeoCHI

NeoCHI Active Member

Email Transport Method is set to default.

8. Mike

In that case, you're already using the method they recommend ("PhpMail method"). They should be able to look at the server logs to see why mail isn't being sent (or to confirm that it is).

9. NeoCHI

NeoCHI Active Member

They've just replied:

But within Xenforo I clearly have Default Email Address set to my email (valid). Any idea what's going on here. This is driving me nutts...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  10. NeoCHI

NeoCHI Active Member

Something else that's weird is emails are shown to be sent (Message accepted) successfully to one of my emails in the Mail Delivery Reports in WHM but I'm not actually receiving them...

11. Mike

Well, deliverability of emails to host.mysite.com would be their issue. It's a configuration in their system that appears to be rejecting emails, likely based on the envelope sender (which is ok but rather strict, especially as the values for this are set, by default, based on their server configuration).

That said, I'm guessing you don't have the -f parameter enabled in XF? Try enabling that. Make sure your default email address is set correctly as well.

12. NeoCHI

NeoCHI Active Member

Here's the latest from them:

Anyone know why these messages would be sent as spam? When I open one of these notification emails it contains a Report phishing link...

13. NeoCHI

NeoCHI Active Member

Here's some more from my hosting service:

Is what they're saying accurate? What do I need to do? Why wasn't this an issue on my old server then?

14. NeoCHI

NeoCHI Active Member

So I've setup my email settings to use SMTP from an email account I created on my server and my SPF and Authentications look good now:

Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of admin@mydomain.com designates 67.222.158.146 as permitted sender) client-ip=67.222.158.146;
    Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
    spf=pass (google.com: domain of admin@mydomain.com designates 67.222.158.146 as permitted sender) smtp.mail=admin@mydomain.com;
    dkim=pass header.i=@mydomain.com

This finally got rid of the "Report phishing" link from my notification emails but their still getting filtered as spam in gmail...Please anyone know what's causing this?

15. NeoCHI

NeoCHI Active Member

I've thought about using Mandrill but looking at my servers Mail Delivery Reports I'm sending about 10k emails a day...making it quite expensive a month for me to use Mandrill.

PLEASE I NEED HELP!

16. NeoCHI

NeoCHI Active Member

Has no one experienced this? I desperately need help...

17. Mike

Email deliverability is a complex topic. There are a ton of variables, many of which aren't publicized. If you're having problems, you need to ensure that as many things are setup correctly (SPF, DKIM, reverse DNS) and that you have a good reputation for your IP -- the IP listed in the last message is in at least one spam block list.

NeoCHI likes this.
  18. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

19. NeoCHI

NeoCHI Active Member

My SPF, DKIM and reverse DNS are all setup. It's just my IPs apparently have bad reputation from the server's previously owner. That's why I'm on that blacklist but I'm working on getting off it.

I have done everything in that guide.

I guess question now is how long does it take to build good reputation?

20. Biker

Biker Well-Known Member

This is one of the reasons why I've kicked everything Google to the curb. After years and years of receiving my server notices and log reports, Google changed something and they started getting rejected over a year ago. Even after using their supposed "automatic" form to clear things up (https://support.google.com/mail/contact/bulk_send_new?rd=1), my emails from the server continued to be rejected. I switched to Outlook and haven't had an issue since then.

I watch my mail logs like a hawk. There are still times when Google gets stupid and notices from the forum start getting rejected. I then spend a good 2-3 days fighting with them to fix things on their end so the emails go through.