XF 1.3 Using own server email account as SMTP

NeoCHI

Anyone doing this? I've recently migrated my dedicated server to KH and apparently the IPs I have on their servers have a bad email reputation in google and yahoo cause all my notification emails are getting automatically filtered as Spam (more details: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/email-notifications-filtered-as-spam-in-gmail-help.81305/)

So currently to fix "Received-SPF" and "Authentication-Results" I've created an email account on each of my account's server and used it's details as each site's SMTP settings. Now both parameters are passing and I don't get a "Report phishing" link from my notification emails but will this result in any issues?

I've just had a look at your e-mail logs, and hotmail isn't rejecting your IP any more, it's now queuing the mails for delivery correctly. It might need a few days for the reputation of the IP to increase once a flow of mails from this IP starts coming through.

I've just had a look at your e-mail logs, and hotmail isn't rejecting your IP any more, it's now queuing the mails for delivery correctly. It might need a few days for the reputation of the IP to increase once a flow of mails from this IP starts coming through.

Yeah Hotmail has delisted my IPs from their blacklist but Gmail and Yahoo are still both filtering my emails as Spam. Currently the only options I know of are:
- use a third party service like Mandrill
- wait and hopefully eventually my IP's email reputation in Gmail and Yahoo will fix itself

I would just use Mandrill but my server sends about 10k emails a day so it would be fairly costly.

I've also asked my hosting company to change my server's IPs, is this a possible fix?

I'm really surprised how easily this can happen when changing servers but how few options there are....and how less it's discussed.

Damn, ok this was cause I changed the bounce email in xenforo to my personal email cause I was getting soo many bounced emails from emails that are still blocking my server like aol.com. I was afraid my server's email account would take up too much space and I would have to keep maintaining it.

I removed the bounce email so that it's back to my servers account email and it's fixed now:

Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of admin@mysite.com designates 67.222.158.202 as permitted sender) client-ip=67.222.158.202;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
spf=pass (google.com: domain of admin@mysite.com designates 67.222.158.202 as permitted sender) smtp.mail=admin@mysite.com;
dkim=pass header.i=@mysite.com
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; q=dns/txt; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=mysite.com; s=default;
h=MIME-Version:Content-Type:Date:Message-Id:From:To:Subject; bh=kA6ZRi3HM8pFFCcZV5+3ZDNhHGpO/bfeNcbu7Rysbvw=;
b=qHu1Ntv9jymVjKzuC3psWf6cbxA4SiOC2SlA7Okq7DlTurSvrrPLvP6Xo3xOq9wDR0A+maPOhEaqcaL5vNu0jnI024jwfTEh2viuHx0C9ZwImP9pDidqQHvreKjVFNnpkAQu0ntkqXOVL08FKCij2MoZuG7cfYs4XLpq0d/bmDE=;

Is it possible have these bounce emails go somewhere not connect to my server's email account? I don't want to was the space on my server and have to maintain it....

Actually, it's because I use Mandrill :(
Code:
Received: from mail132-7.atl131.mandrillapp.com (mail132-7.atl131.mandrillapp.com. [198.2.132.7])
        by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id w33si29521780yhn.203.2014.08.21.09.29.06
        for <me@gmail.com>
        (version=TLSv1.2 cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 bits=128/128);
        Thu, 21 Aug 2014 09:29:07 -0700 (PDT)
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of bounce-md_30235266.53f61e52.v1-5d9ac8b3d2844adc9a325e8907716224@mandrillapp.com designates 198.2.132.7 as permitted sender) client-ip=198.2.132.7;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
       spf=pass (google.com: domain of bounce-md_30235266.53f61e52.v1-5d9ac8b3d2844adc9a325e8907716224@mandrillapp.com designates 198.2.132.7 as permitted sender) smtp.mail=bounce-md_30235266.53f61e52.v1-5d9ac8b3d2844adc9a325e8907716224@mandrillapp.com;
       dkim=pass header.i=@mattwservices.co.uk
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; s=mandrill; d=mattwservices.co.uk;
As you are using cPanel, just create a bounce@yourdomain.com address, and we can add a cron to delete old e-mails if you don't want to manage / monitor the inbox
http://forums.cpanel.net/f43/having-issues-getting-cron-job-work-389492-p2.html#post1570381

I thought I remembered reading that XenForo would delete the bounced emails from the account once it had processed them?
As bounce notifications will be sent to the value you enter for the "Bounced Email Address", you would enter the POP3 or IMAP details for that account here. Once you do that, the system will automatically start checking this account for bounce messages. Note that the emails in this account will be removed after reading so this account needs to be dedicated to bounces from your forum only.

Now, if you get other than bounced processed in there I can see it building up.

Read what? The bounced ones? They get deleted as soon as XenForo processes them.

Any other email sent to that address you would have to delete manually.

That's why I have one specifically configured as ?????_bounced@servinglinux.com, where the ???? are characters.

What do mean by processes them? Currently I'm using an email account I created on one of my servers as my SMTP and none of the bounced emails are getting automatically deleted.

Previously you quoted:
Note that the emails in this account will be removed after reading
That's why I assumed it was deleted after reading.

Top Bottom