XF 2.2 Email classification as 'Promotions' in Gmail

Miri

After switching my website to XenForo, I've encountered an issue where Gmail categorizes my site's emails under the 'Promotions' tab. Previously, when I used a different system, this issue did not arise.

Interestingly, in some other forums using XenForo, where I am registered, their updates are delivered to my main email inbox instead of the 'Promotions' tab. This observation makes me question if there's a specific configuration that I am missing.

I am also utilizing 'DKIM email authentication', but it hasn't resolved this classification challenge.

Can't say I've had this issue... and I don't think it's a specific configuration that you can just change. From what I understand about their classification system, it just judges the content (HTML, Images, Links, Socials...) of the messages and classifies it based on content, user habits, sender reputation, etc. In other words, it's Google's mysterious algorithm at work...

That all said, I have that whole system turned off because it's wrong most of the time except when it comes to spam (for whatever reason).
Users have not mentioned it and we do have instructions on our email policy on how to assure that our messages are delivered, which people seem to pay attention to.

From what I understand about their classification system, it just judges the content (HTML, Images, Links, Socials...) of the messages and classifies it based on content, user habits, sender reputation, etc. In other words, it's Google's mysterious algorithm at work...
I see, so it's more of a Google decision on how to classify emails? Just for information, I'm talking about emails that the system sends by default and are not personalized.
I have that whole system turned off because it's wrong most of the time except when it comes to spam (for whatever reason).
Sorry but I didn't understand correctly, do you mean the DKIM function or the entire XenForo email system?

I think he means he has disabled inbox labels on his own Gmail account. It's same for me. I prefer a single unified inbox with manually configured filtering into labels.

Ah ok, yes well, I turned it off too but most people don't. Yet, I believe there is something in my XenForo installation that triggers Google email sorting

Ah ok, yes well, I turned it off too but most people don't. Yet, I believe there is something in my XenForo installation that triggers Google email sorting
No, there's not. Google is just taking a swing (and a miss) at guessing where your site emails belong. The only thing you can really do is further customize your email templates. We don't use stock XF email mailers & keep content in emails to a minimum. We customize the content in the templates as well as the email subject lines to be unique to our site.

Sorry but I didn't understand correctly, do you mean the DKIM function or the entire XenForo email system?
The other poster was correct - I just simply disabled the tabs in my personal Gmail because so many of the emails are sorted incorrectly. (Nothing to do with XF, talking about every other email that I get for various other businesses & personal reasons.) Google thinks they know what you want, but they really don't. :ROFLMAO:

There are guides online about how to tailor the emails and tips on how to avoid it, stuff like:
  • Send emails from a person not a generic (john@yoursite not info/no reply)
  • Make sure your reply-to is the same as the sender
  • Try to use real names where possible
  • Reduce number of images and links in email body
Note that this isn't any guarantee - as mentioned above it's Google best guess and sometimes they're wrong.

I use the same requirements that I used with the old system.

Perhaps it's something related to the XF installation, or maybe it's the way XenForo structures outgoing emails. But on second thought, this can't be the reason either, as the emails I receive from other XenForo sites (even though they use the same default structure) are not classified as Promotions.

I might agree, however, with the idea expressed by @ENF, that it's Google deciding with its SUPER COMPLEX AND VERY SECRET 🙄 algorithm.

I just can't seem to find a solution.

Top Bottom