XF 1.4 Email bounces not going to bounce email

dethfire

I get lots of bounce errors in admin, but not a single bounce email is going to my bounce email box. Is there something I should be doing or a setting I overlooked? My bounce box works and I plug it into email settings. What else is there?

To prevent duplicates, the system removes the bounce email.
Hi Jeremy! Thanks for your reply. I am a little confused. Xenforo has a function to send bounces to an email account, but you're telling me the system deletes these emails? I don't have a single bounce email in my box when I just sent out a newsletter last night and I know 20% are bad emails.

What server errors have you received?

As for the bounced emails, if you are seeing them within the bounced email log, then the system is working perfectly. It accesses the proper account, reads the emails, reacts and deletes them from the account. So manually checking the account will show an empty inbox.

What's the error? While this could imply the email was bouncing, normally the SMTP server would accept the email and separately contact the destination server. XenForo only supports that model.

What server errors have you received?
previously hard-bounced

The bounce handler isn't even running because I still haven't figured out the right host name to put in, but that is a separate issue.

Maybe I should test and take out the bounce email option. Then all bounces should go to my main box, right?

previously hard-bounced
I presume that's from your SMTP server, but since you haven't provided the full error (along with backtrace) it's hard to guess. As such, basing on that...

It's as I said above. That's your SMTP server refusing to even accept the mail which is not the common pattern and is not what XF handles. Errors such as this usually indicate something is wrong with the sender not the receiver. The XF system assumes the hand off to the mail handler is successful which means that the mail handler is then responsible for delivering the bounce. For errors such as this you will need to manually change the user's state or use a different mail handler.

So, is this supposed to work while using Sendgrid as the Email Transport Method?

I just can't get it to work with it.

The bounces show up in Sendgrid, but nothing shows up in the Bounced Messages log whether I was forwarding the bounced emails from Sendgrid to the account I specified to handle the bounced emails or not.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

If your SMTP server is rewriting the return path of the email, then XenForo won't be able to automatically handle bounces. If the bounces are showing up in Sendgrid, that almost certainly means they're doing their own thing with the return path.

Quite likely not. The bounces need to be returned to your return path email (which is the bounce email, though potentially modified in VERP). If you're seeing bounces but they're not in your bounce email account, then that will be the problem. You can verify the return path by looking at the raw email source of an email delivered to you from the forum -- it should be your bounce email address; if not, then Sendgrid is modifying it.

Top Bottom