Lack of interest Email bounce log - additional functions

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Floyd R Turbo

I love the automated bounce handler. It has been especially good at identifying invalid addresses after a conversion from an different system that did not effectively handle bounces, resulting in a bad reputation. Bad email reputation. Not me, I have a good reputation :)

Anyways, I would like to see the e-mail address in the bounce log be clickable, or have a button/link to take one to the associated user account. Right now, the username pops up in a bubble but to get to that account, you have to copy/paste the e-mail address or remember the username. Lots of extra steps when you have 200+ bounces.

Also, in looking through the original messages, I see that the vast majority of them are 550 bounces with additional detail, but essentially, hard bounces. Yet these are showing up in the log as "unknown". It would be nice if the original message could be brought up within a functional window tied to the user account/xenforo ACP so one could mark the bounce appropriately and have that update the user account. This would considerably reduce the time required to manually update accounts.

Also, in the above suggestion, it would be nice if the window that is brought up could pull information into the system that is pertinent to the decision making process, such as how many thread posts and conversation messages the user has on their account, and when was the last time they logged on, how many threads they are watching, etc. And then have a delete button to just delete their account from that page.

Expanding on this, one could filter the bounce list down using this type of criteria. For instance, I want to delete all users whose email address bounced, that have 0 posts and 0 messages and haven't logged on for 6 months. Take care of it all in one shot. This would be tremendous!

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
The bounce log is mostly designed to be actioned automatically -- you generally shouldn't need to do anything with it (though I don't disagree with making it easier to get to the user in question).

In terms of the bounces being picked up as unknown, that's potentially a bug, though it depends on the specific details of what's in the message. If you can send me the raw output of the email, I can look into getting it handled for the next release.

Regarding deleting accounts, you should be able to customize the criteria as you wish and do this via the batch user updater.

I'll PM you a few of the email headers

As far as batch updates, there isn't an option that I can find to search for users that have an entry (of any kind) in the bounce log...but that would be great if there was

Well an entry in the bounce log isn't meaningful on it own. It depends on whether the bounces are considered permanent, which changes the user state and that can be searched on with whatever criteria you want.

This ties into bounces not being picked up that should.

1.4.7 fixed this issue completely, thanks! I think it would still be nice to have a link to the account affected by the bounce log entry instead of just the mouse-over bubble.

Top Bottom