XF 1.3 Editor Toolbar, Spoiler BB Code and MultiQuote

Today, I'm going to show you a handful of changes in XenForo 1.3 that are all related to posting and editing messages.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View on Vimeo
  • Editor toolbar adjustments
  • [SPOILER] BB Code
  • MultiQuote

Requires scrolling...not user friendly.

I can appreciate the use case when on a touch device or a small screened device like a phone, particularly as some forums like to have more messages per page than others.

If you have 50 messages to scroll past and your swiping with your finger it can get a bit tedious.

Rather than add an additional reply type you could introduce a 'To the bottom' button that moves with the screen. A quick tap of that brings you down to the reply box.

Arty has a very nice implementation in his Elegance Style

Demo - scroll down a bit to activate the buttons, you may need to decrease your browser window size too as this example thread isn't very long

It looks like my custom SPOILER bbcode (which I like more than the built in one), has cleanly replaced the one included with XF1.3...

Not in the default software, no.
Ok thanks, is there a way to remove this little popup?
FPdREfT.png

Concerning a forum and it's reply concept is what I am referring to.

Indeed.

That's what it should be. Actually- there should probably be three buttons.

• Reply ( opens an empty box- which means your replying to the actual thread.)

• Quote ( would do what reply button does now. It quotes the post or thread you want to quote via the quote bbcode.)

• Multi quote + (should do as it does now.)
;)

This is actually how it works in vBulletin 3.x (3.8 where I am still on). Reply is called Quick Reply and brings you straight to the QR box (and it doesn't insert a quote) without having the need to scroll.

In Xenforo the (vB) Quote button has become the Reply button and that means that sometimes I find myself deleting the quotes that the Reply button inserts in the Quick Reply box, because I don't need it every-time.

On the other hand, the software inserting these quotes by default, comes in handy quite a lot, because it gives you the context of what you are commenting on. My short term memory is terrible, so these quotes help me to remember what I am actually commenting on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom