Lack of interest Editor: Allow tab character

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
It would be useful to be able to use the tab character (in some fashion) in the editor.

With TinyMCE, Shift+Tab would generate a tab character. Redactor doesn't do this.

Interestingly, if you have moderator permissions then actually with TinyMCE Shift+Tab would select the previous inline-mod checkbox so this user experience would be inconsistent depending on your permissions.

But if there was a suitable key combination (Such as Shift+Tab but ensure that it can't be used to tab focus backwards to a checkbox) then that would be ideal.

Not sure whether the Shift+Tab thing was just a Chrome thing or a feature in TinyMCE.

It's definitely useful to have some sort of tab character. I know white space is preserved now, and 4-5 spaces would achieve a similar result, but some other shortcut would be perfect.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Shift-tab means move backwards 1 input, tab moves forward. Try it on the create thread page.

As such, I don't think it's a good thing to steal by default in the editor.

I use tabs religiously for navigating between inputs.

Definitely tab forward would be something that remains useful, e.g tab and space to activate the post reply button.

But shift tab is less useful in a thread but noted about its usefulness to tab back to the thread title on the create form.

Ctrl + Shift + Tab?

Or any other ideas...?

Top Bottom