Earthquake in Spain

I saw this on the news this morning. Honestly I've never heard of so many earthquakes in such a short amount of time.
Or maybe I just haven't been paying attention.

I saw this on the news this morning. Honestly I've never heard of so many earthquakes in such a short amount of time.

Tons all the time I didn't belive there was so many around the world
all shown in the image is in last 24-48hours

(I only have it showing 5+)

We have been seeing fiercer earthquakes causing much more damage than we did last decade, at least so it seems.

Sometimes, earthquakes occur in swarms which is perfectly normal.

Seriously, we are watching seismic activity for just a bit over 100 years now. This is nothing in our planet's history and certainly, a time span of 100 years is not enough to deduce trends or predict future developments about seismic activity. What we are recently seeing and reading about earthquakes on various media outlets is just the usual uninformed media hype.

The quake in Spain was noteworthy for it's shallow epicenter with a focal depth of just about 1km (less than a mile) which is one of the reasons why it produced unusual strong surface shaking for a quake of this magnitude. It also occurred in the middle of a densely populated area.

Seriously, we are watching seismic activity for just a bit over 100 years now. This is nothing in our planet's history and certainly, a time span of 100 years is not enough to deduce trends or predict future developments about seismic activity. What we are recently seeing and reading about earthquakes on various media outlets is just the usual uninformed media hype.

We also have a lot more people with technology capable of passing information very quickly in more areas than ever before, so when it's reported it seems a lot more than what happens regularly.

Sometimes, earthquakes occur in swarms which is perfectly normal.

The quake in Spain was noteworthy for it's shallow epicenter with a focal depth of just about 1km (less than a mile) which is one of the reasons why it produced unusual strong surface shaking for a quake of this magnitude. It also occurred in the middle of a densely populated area.

(y)

Probably because most of these faults have been latent for several decades, and in some cases over a hundred years.

There's also been a lot of seismic activity along the Pacific "rim of fire" in recent months, which while stronger than normal, is the usual activity of the various tectonic plates. Hey and before you ask, I read that and don't have a degree in geology or associated fields.

Latest I've been reading on Yellowstone is the place is settling down a tad, some good news there for North Americans. Damn should never have watched the BBC's Super Volcano :(

Latest I've been reading on Yellowstone is the place is settling down a tad, some good news there for North Americans. Damn should never have watched the BBC's Super Volcano :(
North Americans? I think you mean the world.

When that blows, we're all screwed. :p

What, Yellowstone?

yeah it erupts (scientist predict) every 600 thousand or so years it is due to erupt. Once that does blow I agree we won't have to worry about the petty things in life this will be catastrophic on a global scale.

Top Bottom