1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Earthquake in Spain

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Sadik B, May 12, 2011.

1. Sadik B

Sadik B Well-Known Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13371472

2. soloarquitectura

soloarquitectura Active Member

3. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

I saw this on the news this morning. Honestly I've never heard of so many earthquakes in such a short amount of time.
    Or maybe I just haven't been paying attention.

4. Wuebit

Wuebit Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Tons all the time I didn't belive there was so many around the world
    all shown in the image is in last 24-48hours

(I only have it showing 5+)

mrGTB likes this.
  5. Sadik B

Sadik B Well-Known Member

We have been seeing fiercer earthquakes causing much more damage than we did last decade, at least so it seems.

6. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

Probably because most of these faults have been latent for several decades, and in some cases over a hundred years.

7. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Yes we have.

and that's in this last 24-48 hours?
    Holy cramminies... o_O

8. bambua

bambua Well-Known Member

Check out: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/

Tons of earthquakes all the time, big ones small ones, it's just that most of them either don't do damage or people just don't live there.

Will keep the folks of Spain in my thoughts though.

9. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

That is wild.

10. Wuebit

Wuebit Well-Known Member

Sorry no only 24 hours crazy huh

11. SilverCircle

SilverCircle Well-Known Member

Sometimes, earthquakes occur in swarms which is perfectly normal.

Seriously, we are watching seismic activity for just a bit over 100 years now. This is nothing in our planet's history and certainly, a time span of 100 years is not enough to deduce trends or predict future developments about seismic activity. What we are recently seeing and reading about earthquakes on various media outlets is just the usual uninformed media hype.

The quake in Spain was noteworthy for it's shallow epicenter with a focal depth of just about 1km (less than a mile) which is one of the reasons why it produced unusual strong surface shaking for a quake of this magnitude. It also occurred in the middle of a densely populated area.

Shelley, Peggy and Forsaken like this.
  12. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

We also have a lot more people with technology capable of passing information very quickly in more areas than ever before, so when it's reported it seems a lot more than what happens regularly.

Steve F and Peggy like this.
  13. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

(y)

14. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

There's also been a lot of seismic activity along the Pacific "rim of fire" in recent months, which while stronger than normal, is the usual activity of the various tectonic plates. Hey and before you ask, I read that and don't have a degree in geology or associated fields.

Latest I've been reading on Yellowstone is the place is settling down a tad, some good news there for North Americans. Damn should never have watched the BBC's Super Volcano :(

15. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

North Americans? I think you mean the world.

When that blows, we're all screwed. :p

16. Forsaken

Not as much as I will be :cry:.

17. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

What, Yellowstone?

18. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

yeah it erupts (scientist predict) every 600 thousand or so years it is due to erupt. Once that does blow I agree we won't have to worry about the petty things in life this will be catastrophic on a global scale.

19. Forsaken

20. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

Yes.