[EAE Add-ons] Thread preview widget

[EAE Add-ons] Thread preview widget 1.3

No permission to download
I'm using featured threads by UiX and would like articles to appear there which seems that doesn’t work

If featured threads are within a Page node, it should work, if not, then that's beyond the scope of this add-on, and sorry about that.

Would it be possible to add pagination for this widget? Or some sort of link to the further pages.

It was made to display the most recent threads (or threads with recent posts), so pagination wasn't even considered. If enough members request it I could include it, or a "Load more" button.

@Lawrence Also, feature request - if there is a sticky thread from the node that feeds this widget, could it be displayed as the top position prior to all other posts from desired node. Would look great!

It'll take another query, but it's something I can add in the next release. It would take sticky threads from every selected node though.

It was made to display the most recent threads (or threads with recent posts), so pagination wasn't even considered. If enough members request it I could include it, or a "Load more" button.

It'll take another query, but it's something I can add in the next release. It would take sticky threads from every selected node though.
A load more button would be fantastic. If there wasn't much more interest in this from others, how much would you consider charging to add this? I'd pay for this addon if it was priced, but so grateful that it's free.

Would it not be possible to take sticky threads from the node being displayed via the widget? For example, within my news node, I have a 'featured' thread, as a sticky which is just a featured story, therefore staying at the top.

Thank you for your swift reply :)

If featured threads are within a Page node, it should work, if not, then that's beyond the scope of this add-on, and sorry about that.

Thanks. They don't work as page. So that'd why doesn't appear.

I'm using featured threads by UiX and would like articles to appear there which seems that doesn’t work
This widget, as it is currently, will only work on "Page" nodes and won't work if added as a standard widget. It's the same item Greg is running into. To get it appearing in other spots, like TH's "Featured Threads" addon, you'll need to make the same edit I posted earlier.

This widget, as it is currently, will only work on "Page" nodes and won't work if added as a standard widget. It's the same item Greg is running into. To get it appearing in other spots, like TH's "Featured Threads" addon, you'll need to make the same edit I posted earlier.

Alright, so this will work with TH featured addons ?

I will be adding page nodes, unfortunately (for me!) - Any idea on how to use a different work around?
If you want to use this a standard widget and don't need it to be automatically added to a page node, just go into the widget and uncheck (turn off) "[EAE] Page view: Above content" and make the code change. At that point you should be able to check (turn on) widget positions for CinVin Home or TH's Featured Threads or the stock XF positions.

Note: Making the code edit will result in a modified file warning in the ACP which can be ignored and you'll need to redo the edit when you update the addon in the future.

Yes, designed from the ground up to be used only with Page nodes.
If you don't mind a suggestion... add an option in the widget setting for placement mode. If true (you could default it as true) then it behaves the way it does now but if false then the conitionals that check the context values are skipped. That way the widget could work as it does now (being added to page nodes) or it could be used as a standard widget and placed anywhere.

I like this addon. I wish we could just manual set thread (or more then 1) that we would like to display in article mode and they never change until you change it. Then place the widget on the homepage, so it can be a landing page widget that is linked to exciting threads. I guess if i set sticky threads they could display like this or am i wrong?

If you don't mind a suggestion... add an option in the widget setting for placement mode. If true (you could default it as true) then it behaves the way it does now but if false then the conitionals that check the context values are skipped. That way the widget could work as it does now (being added to page nodes) or it could be used as a standard widget and placed anywhere.
That would be great! Please op!

That's something I can add for the next release (it won't support simple view though as it would make the add-on appear redundant).

I like this addon. I wish we could just manual set thread (or more then 1) that we would like to display in article mode and they never change until you change it. Then place the widget on the homepage, so it can be a landing page widget that is linked to exciting threads. I guess if i set sticky threads they could display like this or am i wrong?

The add-on only looks for threads that are new, or has new replies, so being sticky or not won't make a difference. So what you are asking for is to pin a thread so it always appears in the list of threads being displayed in article preview? Looking for sticky threads, or pinned threads, would cause an additional query, so that is something I'll have to think about adding (I don't like causing additional queries for any of my add-ons, if it can be helped).

That's something I can add for the next release (it won't support simple view though as it would make the add-on appear redundant).

The add-on only looks for threads that are new, or has new replies, so being sticky or not won't make a difference. So what you are asking for is to pin a thread so it always appears in the list of threads being displayed in article preview? Looking for sticky threads, or pinned threads, would cause an additional query, so that is something I'll have to think about adding (I don't like causing additional queries for any of my add-ons, if it can be helped).
Forgive my ignorance, but when an article forum node type is displayed, it displays stickied threads at the top. Does that also utilise more than one query, as per your addon if you took that direction? I imagine it's just a completely different method, but wanted to ask anyway :)

Yes, a pin is basically what i was looking for. Could, if needed also be set in admin page. I like to have chosen threads on the homepage (in article fors like your addon is doing) for a set time, then exchange them. So i was wondering if this addon could do it.

Yes, a pin is basically what i was looking for. Could be set in admin page to. I like to have chosen threads on the homepage (in article fors like your addon is doing) for a set time, then exchange them. So i was wondering if this addon could do it.
I've resorted to the idea of just creating a banner and utilising a notice, or perhaps using a banner system such as ad manager lite by @Siropu

It would, however, be nice for this feature to be baked in.

Yes, a pin is basically what i was looking for. Could, if needed also be set in admin page. I like to have chosen threads on the homepage (in article fors like your addon is doing) for a set time, then exchange them. So i was wondering if this addon could do it.

It doesn't right now, but I could add that for the next release.

Forgive my ignorance, but when an article forum node type is displayed, it displays stickied threads at the top. Does that also utilise more than one query, as per your addon if you took that direction? I imagine it's just a completely different method, but wanted to ask anyway :)

The query to retrieve the list of threads (standard XF way of doing so), is one with the query to include sticky = 1, and the next to include sticky = 0. Both results are then merged together.

After adding this, my site is running so slow both on phone and desktop

I can't see how this would slow your site down as it is only retrieving 18 threads (9 threads * 2) defaulted. Have you you selected a large number of individual nodes to retrieve threads from? Try setting it to retrieve threads from one node for testing.

I can't see how this would slow your site down as it is only retrieving 18 threads (9 threads * 2) defaulted. Have you you selected a large number of individual nodes to retrieve threads from? Try setting it to retrieve threads from one node for testing.
I choosed only one subforum

Are the images viewable to all, including guests for that sub forum? If they are not it will generate an additional query to check the permission for each attachment (image).

That's good question. I haven't checked for guests. For for members does load very slowly.

Are the images viewable to all, including guests for that sub forum? If they are not it will generate an additional query to check the permission for each attachment (image).

Alright , checked permissions and they are all viewable. But still loading very slow on mobile phone .

Top Bottom