[EAE Add-ons] Thread preview widget

[EAE Add-ons] Thread preview widget 1.3

No permission to download

Lawrence

Lawrence submitted a new resource:

[EAE Add-ons] Thread preview widget - Displays a preview in article format in a Page node of recent threads or new posts.

This add-on adds a widget that will display new threads, or threads with new posts, within an admin selected Page node. The list of threads are displayed in article format and can be set to be displayed above the Page node content, or below. The Page node selected should have the option Advanced mode checked.

This add-on inserts two new widget positions: [EAE] Page view: Above content, and [EAE] Page view: Below content, which can be utilised by...

Read more about this resource...

Great addon! Seems to be a small bug in Chrome on a mobile device. The scroll line down the right hand side works, but when you change to landscape view it changes as it should with a spacer inbetween, when reverting back to portrait view the line stays about a cm indented from the side so it looks a little off. I wasn't able to replicate this all the time, just sometimes. Seems to be no issue in Safari.

Great addon! Seems to be a small bug in Chrome on a mobile device. The scroll line down the right hand side works, but when you change to landscape view it changes as it should with a spacer inbetween, when reverting back to portrait view the line stays about a cm indented from the side so it looks a little off. I wasn't able to replicate this all the time, just sometimes. Seems to be no issue in Safari.

Thank-you. Can you try to replicate that here in the Have you seen... forum? The add-on uses the same message.less used by Articles here, so it stands to reason that the same should happen when viewing the Have you seen... forum.

Thank-you. Can you try to replicate that here in the Have you seen... forum? The add-on uses the same message.less used by Articles here, so it stands to reason that the same should happen when viewing the Have you seen... forum.

Yes I was able to replicate it. The XF 'bug' shows a much shorter bar. When it happens via your addon the bar is basically from the top to bottom of the screen. I PMed you a video you can view for reference too.

Below is on my iPhone in XF Have you seen forums.

IMG-2235.webp

I'm still trying to reproduce this, but no luck as of yet. What device are you using?
I am using an iPhone 11 Pro Max with iOS 14. Could be an iOS bug? v14 is still fairly new. Maybe chrome hasn't updated something yet.

Definitely sounds like it. I still can't reproduce, but I'll keep trying. Hopefully others with the same setup will report the issue too, then we'll know for sure if it is an iOS bug, because if not, I want it fixed as soon as possible.

I couldn't reproduce this on my Samsung Note 10 or Lenovo tablet. Works fine on a windows tablet and my wifes iPad too.

I have used @CinVin addon to create a homepage tab, and add widget positions. Like so

1602278320156.webp

I'd like to utilise this addon, and I tried by adding it as a widget to the positions provided by the above mentioned addon, then I realised that this can be only added to page nodes. Is that correct? Any way I can add this to my position on this front page?

Would love to have these addons working together. Hope you can help. I can share my settings on the widget if needed.

Greg

I have used @CinVin addon to create a homepage tab, and add widget positions. Like so

I'd like to utilise this addon, and I tried by adding it as a widget to the positions provided by the above mentioned addon, then I realised that this can be only added to page nodes. Is that correct? Any way I can add this to my position on this front page?

Would love to have these addons working together. Hope you can help. I can share my settings on the widget if needed.

Greg
Greg, I'm taking a look at this one. I may be misreading this widget's description in regards to it being restricted to only appearing on node pages or not so I'm testing it out.

Greg, I'm taking a look at this one. I may be misreading this widget's description in regards to it being restricted to only appearing on node pages or not so I'm testing it out.
@btmgreg The 'short answer' is that, yes, this widget is hard-coded so that it will only appear on 'page' nodes.

For a quick & dirty solution, modify the file /src/addons/EAEAddons/ThreadPreviewWidget/Widget/Thread.php and look for this section of code around line #33...
Code:
        if (!$this->options['context'] || key($this->options['context']) != 'page')
        {
            return '';
        }
... and then in front return ''; insert two forward slashes so it looks like //return '';.

Now you should be able to add the [EAE]: Thread preview widget to any of the CinVin Home widget positions. NOTE: If you have page nodes then it'll show up on them also. If that applies, let me know and I'll write-up up different workaround method for you in the interim.

Longer term... I'm not sure why this would be restricted to just page nodes and is something I'll likely end up using myself :D so I'll likely look into updating CinVin Home to see if I can add an option to have it identify itself as a page node for these kinds of scenarios.

Does it work with Uix styles ?

The layout for the add-on is based off of the article preview template, and uses the same less as articles, so there should be no issues. If there are, the creators of UIX will have to address those.

Yes, designed from the ground up to be used only with Page nodes. The two Page widget positions were added as Pages do not have any positions, and they were needed for this add-on to work. The upside is that other widgets can use those new positions, even if you delete the widget from the widgets page.

The add-on was designed to be used as a landing page, but you can also use it to display new threads on the forum list page.

Just installed, and doesn't appear where I set it up. Any ideas why?

All options are contained in the widget, :)

The layout for the add-on is based off of the article preview template, and uses the same less as articles, so there should be no issues. If there are, the creators of UIX will have to address those.

Yes, designed from the ground up to be used only with Page nodes. The two Page widget positions were added as Pages do not have any positions, and they were needed for this add-on to work. The upside is that other widgets can use those new positions, even if you delete the widget from the widgets page.

The add-on was designed to be used as a landing page, but you can also use it to display new threads on the forum list page.

All options are contained in the widget, :)

It doesn’t work for me. Tried to add that widget and doesn’t appear .

I'm using featured threads by UiX and would like articles to appear there which seems that doesn’t work

@btmgreg The 'short answer' is that, yes, this widget is hard-coded so that it will only appear on 'page' nodes.

For a quick & dirty solution, modify the file /src/addons/EAEAddons/ThreadPreviewWidget/Widget/Thread.php and look for this section of code around line #33...
Code:
        if (!$this->options['context'] || key($this->options['context']) != 'page')
        {
            return '';
        }
... and then in front return ''; insert two forward slashes so it looks like //return '';.

Now you should be able to add the [EAE]: Thread preview widget to any of the CinVin Home widget positions. NOTE: If you have page nodes then it'll show up on them also. If that applies, let me know and I'll write-up up different workaround method for you in the interim.

Longer term... I'm not sure why this would be restricted to just page nodes and is something I'll likely end up using myself :D so I'll likely look into updating CinVin Home to see if I can add an option to have it identify itself as a page node for these kinds of scenarios.
Works great! Thank you. I will be adding page nodes, unfortunately (for me!) - Any idea on how to use a different work around?

It's fantastic to use both addons together and it seems to benefit me, at least. If it could identify as a page node, I guess that would work well.

@Lawrence Would it be possible to add pagination for this widget? Or some sort of link to the further pages. I have the original node this feeds from in a different view (original thread view), so it would be nice if they could continue to view news on the front page in article view as intended.

Many thanks guys!

@Lawrence Also, feature request - if there is a sticky thread from the node that feeds this widget, could it be displayed as the top position prior to all other posts from desired node. Would look great!

Top Bottom