[EAE Add-ons] History [Deleted]

Lawrence

Lawrence submitted a new resource:

[EAE Add-ons] History - Record forum milestones, and past and current events that have shaped your forum.

A lot happens on a forum, or even to a forum, over the course of years. The history add-on helps you to keep track of events and milestones that occur, and when they occurred. This is useful for nostalgic reasons, and informative reasons. You can record an event that may consist of hiring your first moderator, and who it is, or why you let a staff member go, or when you merged with a forum, or even keep track of warnings for troublesome members, etc. And more importantly this add-on may...

Read more about this resource...

Interesting. So for a forum which has been online 20 years, will this go through and build a complete history from the start?

Interesting. So for a forum which has been online 20 years, will this go through and build a complete history from the start?

The anniversary milestone will populate the history automatically (1 year per cron job until the 20 year mark is reached) as it is working off a fixed date that you will enter in the options. The other milestones do not have a past date to work from so they will fire only when the next milestone that is calculated when added is reached. If you know the approximate date (for example messages) when you reached ten million messages you can add your own milestone in for posts, from the front end. You can also add in the 20,000,000 mark as well if you choose, or any other milestone you can recall/take an educated guess when it occurred.

And of course, you may add any event you feel helped shaped your forum, good, bad, or otherwise.

Thank-you for showing interest,
Lawrence

Lawrence updated [EAE Add-ons] History with a new update entry:

Compatibility changes

Changes:
  • changed the route for the add-on from history to site-history to prevent possible conflicts with similar installed add-ons.
  • changed title and navigation tab from History to Site history.
  • renamed a permission that may be commonly used by another add-on.
If upgrading, after uploading the files you may see a non-callable error in your server error log. This is due to the renaming of a permission. After upgrading, there will be no further errors.

Read the rest of this update entry...

I'm actually thinking about implementing this on the next point release. By using a finder (where xxxx_id > current marker -1) I can get the date of that post/thread milestone, and therefore have it populate automatically on each cron run until it catches up (like the anniversary milestone) .

What a nice idea!
Have you considered to add a timeline function to showcase the most important events over the years? Here is an example:
View attachment 222807
Clicking on an event would bring the user to the event.

Thanks, :) I did at the beginning, having a timeline that went vertically. I just didn't think there was enough data to display when clicked (for the milestones themselves, not the added events), to make it worthwhile.

My site exists 17 years. So if we add all events the timeline would be really interesting to see. Especially if we would be able to set which events display on the timeline.

Thank you. I think what this add-on does is unique to Xenforo, as far as I can tell there is no add-on/plugin/add-in like it for any other forum software.

You can add older milestones by going to the ID.

e.g. to find the date of your 100th thread, Just go to /threads/100 to find the 100th member, /members/100

I'm not sure of a way to find posts, other than going through the DB.

You can add older milestones by going to the ID.

e.g. to find the date of your 100th thread, Just go to /threads/100 to find the 100th member, /members/100

I'm not sure of a way to find posts, other than going through the DB.

I been giving this thought for the next update. The problem I have is that of accuracy, due to deleted posts/threads/users. If I don't come up with a way that is fairly accurate and, more importantly, efficient, I'll take this route.

I have v1.1 running on my site. A new widget was added that can be set to display upcoming milestones or recent recorded events/milestones. It also backfills milestones that may have been missed when the add-on was installed. Note: that updating the add-on will remove all milestones; you must re-add them back in from the ACP, when you do all milestone markers that were missed will be filled in.

New features and changes

New features
  • milestones can now be back-filled. AdminCP -> [EAE] History -> Milestone types. When you add each type, it's markers will be checked from 0 to the current count, and each marker that has been surpassed will now be recorded. Note: upgrading to v1.1 will automatically remove all recorded milestones (events are not removed) and you will need to re-add each milestone type you want to keep record of
  • widget. Added a widget that can display upcoming...

New phrases

added phrases for short month names to allow translations.

If you want to display long month names (for example January instead of Jan) on the history page for styling reasons, open the eae_htr_history_index template and scroll down to line 24. Remove _short from each of the 12 phrases, and then save.

Top Bottom