XF 2.0 E-Mail from Facebook - Login with Facebook Problem

sbj

I received this e-mail from Facebook 4 days ago.

Hi,

In working to create a great Platform experience for everyone, we ask developers to ensure the apps they build comply with our Platform Policies. Your app xxxxx (AppId: xxxxxxx) doesn't comply with the following:

Platform Policy 8.3: Use a clearly branded "Login with Facebook" button and follow the Facebook Brand Guidelines: https://www.facebookbrand.com/.

Your Login button doesn't properly reference Facebook. To fix this issue, you should always use our official SDK for Login. For more information on Login best practices, check out the Login section of our developer documents: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/facebook-login/best-practices#buttondesign.

You can access the full list of our Platform Policies here: https://developers.facebook.com/policy/.

Please make the requested changes by 2019-04-10 at 12:00 PST.

Let us know when you've updated your app by replying to this email. If we do not hear back from you, your app will be subject to enforcement. If you have outstanding questions, respond here and we'll do our best to help.

Thanks,

xxxxx

What can I do? I replied to them asking what the specific problem is, no answer yet (I replied yesterday, so it may take time).

Hi,

In working to create a great Platform experience for everyone, we ask developers to ensure the apps they build comply with our Platform Policies. Your app JoyFreak doesn't comply with the following:

Platform Policy 8.3: Use a clearly branded "Login with Facebook" button and follow the Facebook Brand Guidelines: https://www.facebookbrand.com/.

Your Login button doesn't properly reference Facebook. To fix this issue, you should always use our official SDK for Login. For more information on Login best practices, check out the Login section of our developer documents: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/facebook-login/best-practices#buttondesign.

You can access the full list of our Platform Policies here: https://developers.facebook.com/policy/.

Please make the requested changes by 2019-04-15 at 12:00 PST.

Let us know when you've updated your app by replying to this email. If we do not hear back from you, your app will be subject to enforcement. If you have outstanding questions, respond here and we'll do our best to help.

Thanks,

Luka

Has anyone got this email before? The connected accounts is a feature part of XenForo and I have not made any customizations. So does that mean we can no longer use Facebook connected accounts due to this?

While it is possible that Facebook is generally taking exception to the way we have implemented the Facebook log in button in the software, there are actually some key differences on your site that they may be picking up on.

The default look of the connected accounts section on XenForo looks like this:

xenforo.com_community_.webp

On your site it looks like this:

www.joyfreak.com_forums_.webp

While there isn't much discernible difference here, if I had to guess, they may be referring to the different "f" icon.

In other words, you should be using this icon:

Instead of this:

This may not be something you have changed yourself, so it might be worth it if we ping @Mike Creuzer on this as if I'm correct, this may affect multiple styles/customers.

Just merged the two threads. I only saw the most recent one.

@sbj the same may apply to you - you are not using the proper Facebook icon. If it's what I think it is, then you both need to be using the icon named fa-facebook - not fa-facebook-square and seemingly definitely not fa-facebook-f.

Just merged the two threads. I only saw the most recent one.

@sbj the same may apply to you - you are not using the proper Facebook icon. If it's what I think it is, then you both need to be using the icon named fa-facebook - not fa-facebook-square and seemingly definitely not fa-facebook-f.
I am using the default XF style (only color changes and minor css changes like adding border).
How do I change those icons?

@Chris D

Can I get the correct css code to fix it? What should be the hover color?

Code:
.button.button--provider--facebook > .button-text::before, a.button.button--provider--facebook > .button-text::before {
    content: "\fa-facebook";
}

.button.button--provider--facebook > .button-text::before, a.button.button--provider--facebook > .button-text::before:hover {
    color: white;
}

Not sure if correct. Testing is a pain cause I have to login and logout to test it.

XF 2.0 did use the f icon, but really the extent of our recommendations at this point are to simply upgrade to XF 2.1 which would solve the problem with the icon automatically.

Not sure if upgrading would solve the hover colour or not, but worth a try.

• Haha
Reactions: sbj
:LOL:

So you want me to upgrade to 2.1 (which I had to delay because of absence of addon devs), which will cause me a lot of problems, so just I can get the right Facebook icon?

I mean, I am using the default XF style, so all 2.0 XF installations will have that issue. Not sure how feasible the solution is.

Anyway, if you can tell me what the right hover color is, I might get it done by using css?

That's my official recommendation because XF 2.0 is no longer supported and will not be receiving any further updates.

You can post a thread in the "Styling and customizations" forum if you want help with your style.

I thought the end of life was for the 1.5 release, not for 2.0. Did I miss any announcements?

And by the way, according to the inspector tool, 2.0 does use the correct fa icon :

which is 199871

But alright, sooner or later I had to switch, it just is so funny that the reason for that is a Facebook icon. I'm laughing my soft parts off :D.

That's where it gets kind of interesting, and I wonder if Font Awesome had some foresight here.

f09a is the f icon in FA4 but in FA5 it is the correct "official" f icon (as you pictured above).

In 2.0 you probably want to use f230.

So if you go down that route, you may not need to upgrade to 2.1 but it is still the latest, stable and supported release so will still be my advice.

I thought the end of life was for the 1.5 release, not for 2.0. Did I miss any announcements?
1.5 is a special case - bigger and much more considered changes required before upgrading so it has had a much longer support term.

However, in every other release we've ever done, the previous second point release release becomes unsupported when the new second point release is released.

So XF 2.0.x became unsupported the moment XF 2.1.0 was released.

A similar thing happened with PHP coincidentally. PHP 5.6 was supported officially by PHP for longer than PHP 7.0 was.

Reactions: sbj
Top Bottom