Cannot reproduce duplicate posting messages

Robby

Hello,

Since we are on 1.3 i've got several complaints on xenforo keeps not posting correctly.
I mean, when you enter a message, it takes sometimes long before posting. Then after it is posting twice? I know their was a similar problem in previous editions.
Does anyone has the same problem.
My server response is fine so...

yep and the strange thing is it's bot all the time.
I self seen it just a couple of times but folks are complaining about it...

I've seen this in previous editions as well. I was thinking it's an add-on or server configuration problem, but I didn't bother debugging it since it occurred once in a while.

You'd need to be able to reproduce it and view a network trace (such as via Chrome's dev tools) while it's happening. I suspect it's a situation where the connection is terminated for some reason while processing, but the post has gone through.

You'd need to be able to reproduce it and view a network trace (such as via Chrome's dev tools) while it's happening. I suspect it's a situation where the connection is terminated for some reason while processing, but the post has gone through.
Wouldn't a network trace be available only after a page refresh? When refreshing the page, the first comment already appears, so the problem is "solved".

The network trace would be needed for the ajax request itself (which is available from Chrome's network tools, though the dev tools need to be logging before it happens). The console may have some data as well, and that can be brought up after the fact.

Hello,

Since we are on 1.3 i've got several complaints on xenforo keeps not posting correctly.
I mean, when you enter a message, it takes sometimes long before posting. Then after it is posting twice? I know their was a similar problem in previous editions.
Does anyone has the same problem.
My server response is fine so...

I suspect what might actually be happening is that occasionally after you click the Post Reply button it will, as you said, take several-plus seconds for the post to complete. Sometimes people will get impatient and click the post reply button a second time to try to hurry it along and the end result is a post that has actually been submitted twice. I just did this myself a day or two ago and ended up with a duplicate I had to delete.

If the theory is correct whereby a timeout occurs, or it's a case of a user being impatient, then a possible method to alleviate this might be to alter the behaviour of how buttons are disabled on form input. When a form is submitted, a number of buttons are disabled, but they are only disabled for 5 seconds. So after 5 seconds they become active again. This may give users the wrong impression that their post hasn't gone through, or maybe they didn't submit the post properly.

If the buttons remained disabled until the reply was inserted, this may stop this issue cropping up. But I think there's a flip side where if some other issue occurs and the post isn't inserted, then it leaves the buttons disabled on the page permanently until the page is refreshed.

Well, I'd prefer if the posts were inserted quicker more often, but that might be a solution. :cool:

I think part of the problem is you do sometimes also get those long delays when doing other things on the forum, such as maybe just clicking on the Alerts link or some other menu item and in those cases sometimes clicking a second time does produce quicker results, with the unfortunate consequence that people become conditioned to just try clicking things a second time.

one way to reproduce is when you post a reply to a thread, then the loading bar on top right is loading, but you are not redirected, but you click reply one more...

I just experienced something similar to this on my own site when posting a thread. And it sort of confirms my earlier suspicions. It seems to be a behaviour born out of impatience when the page takes too long to load and no indications that the thread has already gone through when it hasn't.

I was simultaneously posting the thread I had just written and I had opened up a new tab. The loading of both hung for maybe 30 seconds or so. I went off into another tab to do something else. The tab I opened up had loaded. The other tab was still on the Create Thread page, it still had the thread I had written, the Create Thread submit button was enabled, and there was no sign of any AJAX loading.

So the natural thing to think is that the thread didn't go through so I posted again. The thread submitted instantly and the end result was two identical threads.

People need to try and attempt to explain the specific steps leading up to the error really. At the moment as many details as possible are required if there's any chance of it being diagnosed.

People need to try and attempt to explain the specific steps leading up to the error really. At the moment as many details as possible are required if there's any chance of it being diagnosed.
I'm trying also but it's not easy. I discover this once on maybe 100 times...

And questions were asked that you didn't ever answer.

I'm just trying to get people to give as much thought into this as possible as if it can ever be reliably reproduced or perhaps discovered that the cause is actually local to the user eg a script blocker or an add on then it can be settled once and for all.

It's not just you. It's a lot of people that just say "I get this too" and it's just not going to help in my opinion.

Top Bottom