Cannot reproduce duplicate posting messages

I know what you saying but after I posted that we then did the XF upgrade and thought it was sorted out. However we have since had a few members mention it has happened to them but also not much info to go on there either. :D

I've just started getting reports of this. If users have bypass flood check enabled they can double post while the first post is hanging there. If bypass flood check is enabled, they get a hanging post, hit reply again and get the warning they must wait 26 seconds or whatever.

This just happened to me.

What happens is when you hit post reply, there is a sort of "busy" dark rectangle with animated white bars at the top right. Normally you don't even notice it as this is only there for a split second, but what happens is it seems to hang and while that is still there, if you hit post reply again while it's still there you get a duplicate.

People with this issue, are you using Adsense?

I am able to reproduce the issue 100% on my test site with certain (responsive) Adsense units enabled. Default Style and no addons.

If any staff are interested, you are welcome to contact me for access to my test site where I think you will be able to see the issue.

I also recently had a rash of multi-posting when my ElasticSearch server was having trouble. Its delayed responses caused new post submissions to hang, and people just kept pressing the button over and over again, sometimes adding dozens of accidental posts to a thread.

The first solution which comes to mind (in addition to @Chris D 's earlier suggestion about disabling the submit button), would be to simply compare each user's post in a thread with their most recent post in that thread. If they are the same (compared through, say, a hash), block the additional posts from going through.

This would make XenForo much more resilient to any type of double posting issue, regardless of the problem (slow network, slow server, slow client machine, etc.).

Our members (and me too) experience this behavior once in a while.

It's impossible to reproduce reliably, as it happens totally randomly.

Basically when you click Post Reply, this damn loading icon keeps on loading indefinitely (even though the post has gone through successfully), and then a member naturally thinks that the post hasn't gone through while it has, and clicks Post Reply again, causing a double post, sometimes a triple post.

Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 23.35.44.webp

would be to simply compare each user's post in a thread with their most recent post in that thread. If they are the same (compared through, say, a hash), block the additional posts from going through.
This sounds like a good solution? Would like to see something like this implemented to avoid this situation.

I am also getting this intermitted double post issue. I have responsive adsense. Not sure if its related?

I have the same as the above post. The loading icon is active. Members then click again on 'Post Reply' making another post. The page then refreshes. It's about 1 in 100 posts.

I found that responsive adsense in the position after post post would cause this every time
I have also after each post but it's not every time. Last weeks again complaints. Sometimes you just can't post. If you click more then once, the message is posted 5 times...

I have also after each post but it's not every time. Last weeks again complaints. Sometimes you just can't post. If you click more then once, the message is posted 5 times...
I imagine it's a combination of whatever resources are used to calculate the responsive size along with calculating the position relative to the 1st post is causing server slow downs. I wonder if throwing more RAM at it would help. However in my case I just stopped using the responsive Google after 1st post.

I've had this several times recently (hence me finding this thread) and my members have described pressing the post button, getting the animated ajax indicator bars (top right) and the screen just stopping there and not clearing as it usually does after a post. They try to post again and it goes through on the second attempt but when it refreshes it shows the first attempt and the second have both been posted.

My quick-fix is to stop and start Apache (not do a graceful restart but a full stop, leave for 30 seconds and start) - but I'm intrigued as to the cause?

I have a fast (over specified) server with 64GB RAM that runs exceptionally well and is generally under a very low load - and when I checked the SQL process queue there weren't masses of waiting jobs, just the usual (expected) delayed inserts.

It sort of presents itself as stalled ajax but that's perhaps just a symptom? Anyway I'll try to pinpoint the start next time it happens and see if there's anything in the various logs to indicate a possible cause or any unusual behaviour.

This continues to be an issue and it seems to manifest on a per-site basis, that is I can have the problem on the cooking forum whilst all others are working okay and not having any double posting issues, and vice versa.

I stop and start Apache and it clears the problem, but it is happening more frequently and I'm wondering what the cause could be and how it can be fixed?

Top Bottom