Drop IE 6 & IE 7

xF isn't vB.

It's not because vB does something that xF has to do it too.
Else they would be suing themselves, lol..

Anyhow, there are close to none bugs in xF for IE 6 and 7, so why discontinue it? If one small error shows up, they can just fix it :)

xF isn't vB.

It's not because vB does something that xF has to do it too.
Not sure where I implied that.
Anyhow, there are close to none bugs in xF for IE 6 and 7, so why discontinue it? If one small error shows up, they can just fix it :)
There will still come a point in time when they'll stop fixing those bugs (do they still fix IE4-5?), just wondering if they already have those plans (a date or release).

I can't see an issue with the devs fixing anything that arises with the ie6 &7 browser if and when it arises. To me, it shows they care about making fixes.

If they implement a fix for say IE7 that takes a few minutes for them to do where is the harm in that?

vB is late. In our company IE6 is ignored in tests in the last 6 Months. And my Forum skin also is not tested in IE6. It's not worth to spent more than one minute for less than 1% of all users.

Anyone here know how much code can be removed or improved by removing Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Explorer 7 support? Maybe interesting for some here to look into that. ;)

Anyone here know how much code can be removed or improved by removing Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Explorer 7 support? Maybe interesting for some here to look into that. ;)

I don't think that will even give a speed difference, nor a difference of any kind.
That would be.. A waste of time :O

I don't think that will even give a speed difference, nor a difference of any kind.
That would be.. A waste of time :O

I'd have to disagree.

Old and obsolete code has a habit of causing future issues down the line. Cleaning up such code can indeed make for a speed and over improvement.

For fun... I and a few others striped phpBB of most of it's older code (was one hell of a project) and cut the source by over 1/2. Removing un-needed queries, templates, and general code. On a large site with many members and high traffic, this is felt right away.

XenForo is still young and obviously doesn't have so much embedded code as phpBB or as an example vBulletin. So doing so would not be as time consuming as you would believe.

Reactions: DBA
I'd have to disagree.

Old and obsolete code has a habit of causing future issues down the line. Cleaning up such code can indeed make for a speed and over improvement.

For fun... I and a few others striped phpBB of most of it's older code (was one hell of a project) and cut the source by over 1/2. Removing un-needed queries, templates, and general code. On a large site with many members and high traffic, this is felt right away.

XenForo is still young and obviously doesn't have so much embedded code as phpBB or as an example vBulletin. So doing so would not be as time consuming as you would believe.

Well, feel free to do so, I'm not holding you back :)
What I said above was just my opinion.

They should offer support (In so much as to make sure there are no major issues), but not to cater to older versions.

Dropping support completely is ridiculous, especially as XenForo degrades well enough for there to be no reason to do so.

I'd have to disagree.

There is a minimal amount of code used for IE6-IE7, all of which is CSS and all it does is override previous declarations by using something like _border:0;.

They should offer support (In so much as to make sure there are no major issues), but not to cater to older versions.

Dropping support completely is ridiculous, especially as XenForo degrades well enough for there to be no reason to do so.

There is a minimal amount of code used for IE6-IE7, all of which is CSS and all it does is override previous declarations by using something like _border:0;.

I'm wondering however if a simple way to cheat is to, well, make older browsers such as IE6 or IE7 have some functionality or limited functionality in a mobile type theme?

I'm wondering however if a simple way to cheat is to, well, make older browsers such as IE6 or IE7 have some functionality or limited functionality in a mobile type theme?

Whats the point of doing that? It isn't hard to support IE6/IE7 if you code semantically and keep in mind the need to degrade gracefully.

It would be much more work to create a whole new design just for IE6/7.

I haven't even seen it working right in IE7.
Only things like box-shadow, text-shadow, border-radius and a few other minor things wouldn't work, and those all degrade fine in older browsers.

Top Bottom