Drawing people to upgrades

=MGN=RedEagle

Hey guys,

One of my pet-peeves with XF 1.0 is that forums locked to certain groups (such as donors only) are only visible to donors.

Is it the same way in XF 2.0?

I'd love people to see what they are missing out on.

Invision did this well with the whole "You need to upgrade to see these threads" warning when you click on certain forums.

One of my pet-peeves with XF 1.0 is that forums locked to certain groups (such as donors only) are only visible to donors.
You can tweak this with permissions and let non-donors view the node but not the threads inside. With a template edit and a conditional statement, you can then tweak the text to display what you like.

Couldn't you just allow them to see the nodes and threads but not the content then throw up a notice in that node saying they need to upgrade?

Wouldn't that be covered by these three node permissions?

1516729135513.webp

"View node" displays the node in the node listing.

"View threads by others" show the usual listing of thread titles, but clicking on those titles leads you to a "You do not have permission to view..." error message if you set "View thread content" to "No".

That is how I would do it, and would also put up a notice within that node saying that donors are able to read the threads.

Top Bottom