DragonByte Tech add-ons not coming to XF anytime soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a suggestion for Ian/Belazor...why you don't create a crowfund for few addons like Credits and shop? I see that there are several credits and shop addons on Xenforo, but nothing compared to a fully featured addon like VBCredits...i think that with a crowfund + addon you can easily collect a decent amount of money.

Anyone else notice a trend?
  • Vault Wiki coming here talking about XenForo, but offering only vBulletin....
  • DragonByte Tech coming here, trash talking XenForo's community, but offering only vBulletin....
Are things that bad over there, that some individuals must come here to promote themselves?

Just saying

Yeah, I would imagine it would be difficult to find a customer to pay hourly - very risky business there. That's where project management skills come in and one has to decide how much it would take for him/her to invest the time to develop a particular product. And if the customer agrees, you have yourself a sale.

*nods* What i meant was looking at those projects and dividing the budget by how many hours it would likely take to complete (to say nothing of support), it doesn't look like any of them would be paying the equivalent to a PHP Programmers hourly wage. Generally on vBulletin we charge about $20-30 per hour if we can resell the work later, or up to about $50-60 per hour if we can't (in line with an experienced PHP programmer's hourly wage). I'm mostly curious if the market for that pricing structure exists on xF.

*nods* What i meant was looking at those projects and dividing the budget by how many hours it would likely take to complete (to say nothing of support), it doesn't look like any of them would be paying the equivalent to a PHP Programmers hourly wage. Generally on vBulletin we charge about $20-30 per hour if we can resell the work later, or up to about $50-60 per hour if we can't (in line with an experienced PHP programmer's hourly wage). I'm mostly curious if the market for that pricing structure exists on xF.

That is what I am usually quoted for add-ons. Almost exactly that for a resell (maybe $30-$45). I've never asked for anything "exclusive" myself.

Defensive, possible. Trash talking? I don't think that is what the attempt is. Don't fuel a fire that isn't there.
Lets not get hung up on terminology, you say defense, I say trash talk.

The basic outline is still the same.... Developer who works on vBulletin add-ons comes here to talk more about vBulletin add-ons and less action toward XenForo add-ons.

Question is still valid.... Are things that bad over there, that some individuals must come here to promote themselves?

Lets not get hung up on terminology, you say defense, I say trash talk.

The basic outline is still the same.... Developer who works on vBulletin add-ons comes here to talk more about vBulletin add-ons and less action toward XenForo add-ons.

Question is still valid.... Are things that bad over there, that some individuals must come here to promote themselves?

Actually, there was a huge discussion going on, and they responded. I think it has cleared things up and could possible lead to something in the future. Almost all of the replied DBT has posted, is a comparison of "would it be worth it". I don't see any promotion going on. Not sure what your issue is with them, nor do I care. But I do not think they came here just to promote themselves.

Did they start this topic?

Anyone else notice a trend?
  • Vault Wiki coming here talking about XenForo, but offering only vBulletin....
  • DragonByte Tech coming here, trash talking XenForo's community, but offering only vBulletin....
Are things that bad over there, that some individuals must come here to promote themselves?

Just saying

I can't speak for Vault Wiki but I know a lot of coders interest in xF comes from their respect for Kier and Mike's work, not to mention how likable they are on a personal level. On top of that even though (for us at least) the number of new people buying vBulletin and looking for mods is still higher than the number of customers switching to xenForo, seeing loyal customers switch and ask you to please consider porting their favourite mods over makes you obliged to come and check things out. I'd imagine the Vault Wiki guys have also had a few loyal customers ask them to make their stuff for xF so they've come to take a look see.

A lot of our customers become more than just customers - they become friends and we like those guys and, you know, part of you wants to see if you can't make stuff they can keep using just because of that. Things are fine in the vBulletin market. DBTech had its best week ever exactly 4 weeks ago. Sorry to disappoint.

I can't speak for Vault Wiki but I know a lot of coders interest in xF comes from their respect for Kier and Mike's work, not to mention how likable they are on a personal level. On top of that even though (for us at least) the number of new people buying vBulletin and looking for mods is still higher than the number of customers switching to xenForo, seeing loyal customers switch and ask you to please consider porting their favourite mods over makes you obliged to come and check things out. I'd imagine the Vault Wiki guys have also had a few loyal customers ask them to make their stuff for xF so they've come to take a look see.

A lot of our customers become more than just customers - they become friends and we like those guys and, you know, part of you wants to see if you can't make stuff they can keep using just because of that. Things are fine in the vBulletin market. DBTech had its best week ever exactly 4 weeks ago. Sorry to disappoint.
Not disappointed in the least.

I however don't respect talk as much as I respect action. You say that you want to make your customers, who you claim to be friends, satisfied. Clearly enough of them have gotten your attention or you wouldn't even be here.

So rather than talk about it, do it.

That was neither. That was *****ing. Simple. And I still take that stance. You don't like it, I certainly don't care.

You say cookies, I say biscuits. Certainly read like a trash talking and fire fuel (or worse, starting!) to me. Nor do I care if you don't like my opinion, either. My daddy is bigger than your daddy anyways. Oh yeah, I can cus**** like a rapper too.

:rolleyes:

Not disappointed in the least.

I however don't respect talk as much as I respect action. You say that you want to make your customers, who you claim to be friends, satisfied. Clearly enough of them have gotten your attention or you wouldn't even be here.

So rather than talk about it, do it.

Last I checked it was 4 of them, out of a 4 figure number of customers. Not nearly enough to make me "pay attention" from a financial standpoint, but enough from a "I like these people and I want to find out if there's the possibility of me helping them out without cutting off my own arm" standpoint ;)

You say cookies, I say biscuits. Certainly read like a trash talking and fire fuel (or worse, starting!) to me. Nor do I care if you don't like my opinion, either. My daddy is bigger than your daddy anyways. Oh yeah, I can cus**** like a rapper too.

:rolleyes:

I didn't realize a "female dog" would be considered cursing. I could have put "complaining", but chose what it really was. Moaning might have worked, but the term isn't as dramatic. As I said before, I wasn't trash talking in that post. It was one of the above you see. I still stand by that, regardless of who agrees.

I can roll the eyes as well, but I don't like smilies.

I have a suggestion for Ian/Belazor...why you don't create a crowfund for few addons like Credits and shop? I see that there are several credits and shop addons on Xenforo, but nothing compared to a fully featured addon like VBCredits...i think that with a crowfund + addon you can easily collect a decent amount of money.

That's actually an interesting idea. It's something I had floated around before to offset the risk in extremely large projects for vB. It seems to have more of a history here on xF too, making it more plausible...

If we do pop back over it might well be in that manner. Thanks a lot of the suggestion :)

Well I hope at sometime in the future when and if you feel developing for xenforo is worthwhile as this is the mindset from developers I look at when i purchase. A dev that takes pride in what they do, looks after their customers and enjoys what they do which thus passes onto the customer in the way of quality output.

That's actually an interesting idea. It's something I had floated around before to offset the risk in extremely large projects for vB. It seems to have more of a history here on xF too, making it more plausible...

If we do pop back over it might well be in that manner. Thanks a lot of the suggestion :)

I think you'd get enough funding.

I wasn't trash talking in that post.
Did too!

Where's a good 'schoolyard bully gets called out for preaching do as I say, not as I do and then claiming everyone else is wrong except him' emoticon when you need it?

It's OK, I'll go bake some more bread in the kitchen again - you can recommence your tit for tat without me again now.

Cheers for that image! And let me be super clear about something - When i talk about a vocal minority on xF I do mean exactly that, a vocal MINORITY. By no means am i suggesting the community as a whole is bad, or even that most people, or hell, even that a large number of people are. Just a small number - they just stand out more and have more of an effect on things because the overall community size is still pretty small.

Out of curiosity could you PM me what you normally charge for custom work/get paid for custom work? Usually what people are willing to pay for that is an interesting economic indicator.
In my Review, Xenforo isn't looking too good in the modification scene, you'd greatly improve it. I pay around $100 or less to develop an addon, rarely more than that. Some of those addons end up becoming paid addons, some free.

Last I checked it was 4 of them, out of a 4 figure number of customers. Not nearly enough to make me "pay attention" from a financial standpoint, but enough from a "I like these people and I want to find out if there's the possibility of me helping them out without cutting off my own arm" standpoint ;)
I think you lack vision.

You either get in on the ground floor or someone else will.

No one is saying you need to replace your current development. As a business man, you should know not to put all your apples or eggs in 1 place. You can very well continue to produce for vBulletin and add XenForo as a growing market for early adaptation.

If your company can't afford that or properly plan that... You're either not doing as good as you say or don't know how to manage your company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom