DragonByte Tech add-ons not coming to XF anytime soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which vBulletin Add-ons were those? We have only ever discontinued one product out of over 50.

RPG Inferno was Inferno Tech - of the entire DBTech team (currently sitting at about 7) only one member of it (Iain/Decado) was ever involved with Inferno Tech. By that logic any time someone leaves the vBulletin team any new job they have is actually just a new version of vBulletin. I guess XenForo Ltd used to be Jelsoft Ltd?

Is that based on anything? The polls and surveys we've conducted among our customers all come out very positively in terms of our support. Is "DBTech have too much to support" just conjecture based on what YOU think a team of 7 can support? We're a company, of course profit is one of our motivations - if our motivation was to not make profit we wouldn't be a company, we'd be out of business. Our products, even though there are so many of them, overwhelmingly receive feature updates more often than the product you're using right now - XenForo. Do KAM have a bad business model in that case? They must since they don't manage to develop their work as much as we develop ours by your logic.

For all the talk of how the community at XF has changed, when we pop over here this is the sort of stuff we see. People claiming DBTech is Inferno Tech to discredit us. People claiming we discontinue a bunch of products. People claiming we don't support our products. Basically people lying and spreading false rumors - that's the impression you guys give of the XF Community so... thanks for that, I guess. I don't know WHY the community is so poisonous and venomous towards developers (especially certain developers) but if someone has an explanation i'm all ears.
Nice overreaction?

Obviously the community hasn't changed, and people who have said so are the same that cover their eyes and ears and pretend nothing is wrong. However that doesn't have much to say in your response to jmurrayhead or I.

He was a customer of Inferno Tech and when Decado moved over to DBT he had to re-purchase a mod. He dislikes your site (I can't blame him, nor will most people probably) and he didn't outright criticize anything but your site.

My post was only in relation to Inferno Tech. Nothing to do with DBT because I could find replacements for all of your add-ons or do them in house (y).

jmurrayhead even stood up for you at the top of this page, so honestly I don't see why your getting so defensive. And rather than getting emotional and argumentative just point out facts and address the worries of people, otherwise you'll just ruin most chances of you actually getting a start on XenForo.

Which vBulletin Add-ons were those? We have only ever discontinued one product out of over 50.

RPG Inferno was Inferno Tech - of the entire DBTech team (currently sitting at about 7) only one member of it (Iain/Decado) was ever involved with Inferno Tech. By that logic any time someone leaves the vBulletin team any new job they have is actually just a new version of vBulletin. I guess XenForo Ltd used to be Jelsoft Ltd?

Is that based on anything? The polls and surveys we've conducted among our customers all come out very positively in terms of our support. Is "DBTech have too much to support" just conjecture based on what YOU think a team of 7 can support? We're a company, of course profit is one of our motivations - if our motivation was to not make profit we wouldn't be a company, we'd be out of business. Our products, even though there are so many of them, overwhelmingly receive feature updates more often than the product you're using right now - XenForo. Do KAM have a bad business model in that case? They must since they don't manage to develop their work as much as we develop ours by your logic.

For all the talk of how the community at XF has changed, when we pop over here this is the sort of stuff we see. People claiming DBTech is Inferno Tech to discredit us. People claiming we discontinue a bunch of products. People claiming we don't support our products. Basically people lying and spreading false rumors - that's the impression you guys give of the XF Community so... thanks for that, I guess. I don't know WHY the community is so poisonous and venomous towards developers (especially certain developers) but if someone has an explanation i'm all ears.
lol i think you over-reacted a lil man. I'm on here very often and the only negative thing I've seen mentioned about DBTech is the copyright in footer. Calm down and come on over homey, we're ready for ya.

Our products, even though there are so many of them, overwhelmingly receive feature updates more often than the product you're using right now - XenForo. Do KAM have a bad business model in that case? They must since they don't manage to develop their work as much as we develop ours by your logic.

KAM's business model is not based on quantity as your's apparently is.

As a developer I have never felt any more welcome than I did here. So I guess the reason for what you're experiencing must lie somewhere else.

Basically people lying and spreading false rumors - that's the impression you guys give of the XF Community so... thanks for that, I guess. I don't know WHY the community is so poisonous and venomous towards developers (especially certain developers) but if someone has an explanation i'm all ears.

Generally, from my observations, I feel the only time this happened is when you had individuals who has a particularly elevated status from the VB days, who then came here with an expectation that the "former glory" they had entitled them to some sort of special treatment. It's quite apparent when you look at people who made a lot of noise and demanded special treatment, got none, and have now left the community.

On the contrary, when you look at people starting to do development, or want help working with XF, you often see multiple people trying to help them out and point them in the right direction.

As for "lying and spreading rumors", to be honest, all I see is people posting incorrect information, which, if thats the case, rather than come out with accusations that they've done it in a malicious way, why not just just correct them instead?

DragonByte Tech does make some cool add-ons. I will give them that.

But they're not always coded nicely & they have the habit of blaming everything & everyone under the sun when something goes wrong.

Their "attitude" toward people is also what I would classify as "hostile" as demonstrated in this thread (the clear overreacting toward the smallest things).

But if this wasn't enough, their add-ons are normally associated with not 1 copyright, but rather 2 - 4 links on every page, per add-on. So if you install 2 of their add-ons you end up with 2 copyrights with 4 - 8 links.

Forsaken pretty much took the words out of my mouth, so I don't need to touch base on that.

Regardless, instead of complaining about the community here, I would focus on capitalizing on an opportunity. Surely, getting all defensive and attacking the community can't be good for possible future business, right? Who knows how much longer vBulletin will stay afloat? Do you really want all of your eggs in one basket?

Claiming the community didn't change is a lie. Communities always change. For example, in the past we had one hard working moderator who was basically the chief cook and bottle washer of this site (if you catch what I'm saying) and today we have a bunch of good moderators. In the past people talked trash about xenforo's developers and the moderator leaving, today all is good. In the past XenForo's community wasn't that big as it is now. In the past Mike didn't get to shine. Today he is proving on a daily basis why he is the best.

Bottom line is, the community changed to the better and is still changing.

Nice overreaction?

Obviously the community hasn't changed, and people who have said so are the same that cover their eyes and ears and pretend nothing is wrong. However that doesn't have much to say in your response to jmurrayhead or I.

He was a customer of Inferno Tech and when Decado moved over to DBT he had to re-purchase a mod. He dislikes your site (I can't blame him, nor will most people probably) and he didn't outright criticize anything but your site.

My post was only in relation to Inferno Tech. Nothing to do with DBT because I could find replacements for all of your add-ons or do them in house (y).

jmurrayhead even stood up for you at the top of this page, so honestly I don't see why your getting so defensive. And rather than getting emotional and argumentative just point out facts and address the worries of people, otherwise you'll just ruin most chances of you actually getting a start on XenForo.

The mod you're referring to (vBShout) was re-coded from scratch and shared only a name with the Inferno Tech version. Despite this all former ITech customers were given a discount equal to Decado's (my) cut of the vBShout Sale. No one involved in Inferno Tech got any money from Inferno Tech customers for the DBTech version of vBShout. The only person paid was the coder who had written vBShout from scratch and who had 0 involvement in Inferno Tech.

Regarding the site layout.. -shrugs- everyone has their own opinion of what does and doesn't look good. The layout tested well and got good feedback in surveys and polls. As long as our customers like it that's good enough for me.

Generally, from my observations, I feel the only time this happened is when you had individuals who has a particularly elevated status from the VB days, who then came here with an expectation that the "former glory" they had entitled them to some sort of special treatment. It's quite apparent when you look at people who made a lot of noise and demanded special treatment, got none, and have now left the community.

On the contrary, when you look at people starting to do development, or want help working with XF, you often see multiple people trying to help them out and point them in the right direction.

As for "lying and spreading rumors", to be honest, all I see is people posting incorrect information, which, if thats the case, rather than come out with accusations that they've done it in a malicious way, why not just just correct them instead?

You could be right, I just find it strange that no one ever posts incorrect information that swings in the opposite direction - that makes us sound better rather than worse. A little further down the thread we have more misinformation from a person who holds a grudge against us because we asked him to stop removing and then editing our copyright without paying for it from our free mods he was using. Do I think it's a coincidence that someone with a grudge is posting misinformation that makes us look bad? Especially misinformation that could have been verified in 5 seconds by visiting our site and looking at the footer? I have my doubts.

The truth is people posting negative comments are hardly going to have good intentions, so when those negative comments also happen to be factually inaccurate it raises suspicions.

DragonByte Tech does make some cool add-ons. I will give them that.

But they're not always coded nicely & they have the habit of blaming everything & everyone under the sun when something goes wrong.

Their "attitude" toward people is also what I would classify as "hostel" as demonstrated in this thread (the clear overreacting toward the smallest things).

But if this wasn't enough, their add-ons are normally associated with not 1 copyright, but rather 2 - 4 links on every page, per add-on. So if you install 2 of their add-ons you end up with 2 copyrights with 4 - 8 links.

Our copyright lines tend to have two links - one back to our homepage and one back to the distinct product page for the product in question. There is also a completely optional third link which can be turned off in the ACP and exists only in our Lite versions. We have a copyright condenser to prevent the every addon taking up its own line and having its own set of links. It makes the copyright link read as:

"Site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)"

Where the first link ( vBulletin Mods & Addons) leads to our homepage and the second (Details) to a page displaying details on all of the installed mods on the site. This is easily available information that anyone can see simply by visiting our website and looking at the copyright footer. I am happy to be able to clear up this information for you.
Forsaken pretty much took the words out of my mouth, so I don't need to touch base on that.

Regardless, instead of complaining about the community here, I would focus on capitalizing on an opportunity. Surely, getting all defensive and attacking the community can't be good for possible future business, right? Who knows how much longer vBulletin will stay afloat? Do you really want all of your eggs in one basket?

Honestly whether or not there is an opportunity remains to be seen. The truth is that a hostile community makes it much more difficult to convince our coders to code for xF and support their mods on xenforo.com. It also makes it difficult to build a market when misinformation is spread and there are large sections of the community who have major issues with things like copyright (an historical example of that can be found here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/powered-by-page.6301/). The market as it stands is many times smaller than the vBulletin market and it would be a risky investment to spend time and resources on a growing product in the hope it one day develops into the market leader. When that's the case you have to take everything into account, and the reception your work is likely to get from the community is vitally important when that community is also the primary source of "advertising" for modifications. Because xF is still small (relatively speaking) a vocal minority who are happy to spread untrue information or publicly attack developers rather than simply voting with their wallets have a disproportionately large voice.

To everyone who feels we may have overreacted please accept my apologies. The truth is it's difficult to go from hearing DBTech customers ask us to come over to XenForo and talking about the positive changes in the community to coming over here hoping it's true to find that even in our absence people are spreading incorrect information discrediting us, whatever the intention behind that may have been.

The truth is that unless my calculations are very wrong somewhere, it's highly unlikely to be financially beneficial coming over to XenForo at this point. The fact a few of our most loyal customers have switched to xF and that we really like Kier, Ashley and Mike and the work they do is what has me seriously considering us investing some more time to give it another shot. The hostility of vocal parts of the community is what gives me - and the half dozen coders at DBTech - pause.

Regards,

Iain

Because xF is still small (relatively speaking) a vocal minority who are happy to spread untrue information or publicly attack developers rather than simply voting with their wallets have a disproportionately large voice.
This is true. I wish they'd stfu cause I want some DBTech mods. I don't mind paying extra for copyright removal. That also goes down here with Jaxel's modifications and you don't see anyone complaining. I think you should just ignore those loud complainers man cause Jaxel's making a killing off his copyrighted addons to the point that he can pull some Sony Other OS stuff and remove features that originally came with the product.

This is true. I wish they'd stfu cause I want some DBTech mods. I don't mind paying extra for copyright removal. That also goes down here with Jaxel's modifications and you don't see anyone complaining. I think you should just ignore those loud complainers man cause Jaxel's making a killing off his copyrighted addons to the point that he can pull some Sony Other OS stuff and remove features that originally came with the product.

I'd be really interested to see Jaxel's figures, any thoughts on whether or not he'd be likely to let me see them if I asked nicely? :)

Iain

Our copyright lines tend to have two links - one back to our homepage and one back to the distinct product page for the product in question. There is also a completely optional third link which can be turned off in the ACP and exists only in our Lite versions. We have a copyright condenser to prevent the every addon taking up its own line and having its own set of links. It makes the copyright link read as:

"Site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)"

Where the first link ( vBulletin Mods & Addons) leads to our homepage and the second (Details) to a page displaying details on all of the installed mods on the site. This is easily available information that anyone can see simply by visiting our website and looking at the copyright footer. I am happy to be able to clear up this information for you.

Regards,

Iain
I'm glad to see that you've changed it. :)

Its been a while since I used vBulletin or any of your add-ons and at my last knowing, it was as I described. Although personally I think 1 link is good enough.

I'd be really interested to see Jaxel's figures, any thoughts on whether or not he'd be likely to let me see them if I asked nicely? :)

Iain
Okay cool so take a look at this thread: Forum Addons Is At Least A $250,000 Dollar Market

Developers talk about how much they make there. Jaxel has a $200 addon and Rigel Kentaraus has an addon that costs $140 for vanity url blogs and we're buying it, I know I did. People are paying $500 for Forsaken and Miners skins and creating request threads, basically spending money on addons that have already been created and are free but were too lazy to search for it in the Resource Manager. Even I've made several hundred bucks off custom skins, logos and modifications. The money is here man, just come on over!

Honestly whether or not there is an opportunity remains to be seen. The truth is that a hostile community makes it much more difficult to convince our coders to code for xF and support their mods on xenforo.com. It also makes it difficult to build a market when misinformation is spread and there are large sections of the community who have major issues with things like copyright (an historical example of that can be found here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/powered-by-page.6301/). The market as it stands is many times smaller than the vBulletin market and it would be a risky investment to spend time and resources on a growing product in the hope it one day develops into the market leader. When that's the case you have to take everything into account, and the reception your work is likely to get from the community is vitally important when that community is also the primary source of "advertising" for modifications. Because xF is still small (relatively speaking) a vocal minority who are happy to spread untrue information or publicly attack developers rather than simply voting with their wallets have a disproportionately large voice.

Really? How about the requests for custom modifications that are going unanswered because developers here are swamped with other projects? There are addons that are being requested that haven't been ported over from other platforms yet. How is that NOT an opportunity?

Let's talk about this hostile community you keep referring to...Do your feelings get hurt easily? Surely, you've been in business long enough to know that not everyone is going to **** glitter and piss rainbows about your products. Get over it. I was a strong supporter of your addons and was quite happy with the vBshout product. You had a market for people like me who wanted a shoutbox for their xF communities...and you blew it. Now there is a product by another developer who did a great job and capitalized on that missed opportunity.

It also seems like you have a very short-sighted vision on the market. More and more people are leaving vBulletin. FACT. Why? Because it's just not panning out the way they have been lead on to believe over and over again. At some point, there might not be a market for vBulletin and you may be losing any chance of branching off to other platforms by doing what you're doing here. Instead of complaining about a few customers here, take action and prove them wrong. Arguing with people is useless - especially if you want their money.

So really, what I'm getting at is, grow a freaking set of balls and do something that will make people view you in a positive light.

P.S. - yes, your copyright's are/were ridiculous. More and more customers are tired of their web sites being polluted with useless copyright's and links and are looking for alternative ways to make both parties happy. Nothing wrong with that.

I wonder on how many more threads people are going to hate on Jaxel for removing a feature in XenPorta that he will most likely add back anyway..

First, I wasn't even going to say something but DragonByte Tech you keep saying this community is "hostile".....

Sorry but I just have to respectfully disagree with that.

I have and am still a member of VB and there forums are allot worse than what you get here.

Since I have moved over to XF every thread asking for help I have put up has helped me and the community is always willing never anything "hostile".

I am personally over the moon with the amount of help on this community its just outstanding and absolutely blows away what I was getting on the vb forums.

That said, its contradictory to come on here and say its "hostile" and people are "Spreading rumors" when really you are doing the same thing by making these statements.

Again, wasn't going to say anything but I jut don't think its right!

Okay cool so take a look at this thread: Forum Addons Is At Least A $250,000 Dollar Market

Developers talk about how much they make there. Jaxel has a $200 addon and Rigel Kentaraus has an addon that costs $140 for vanity url blogs and we're buying it, I know I did. People are paying $500 for Forsaken and Miners skins and creating request threads, basically spending money on addons that have already been created and are free but were too lazy to search for it in the Resource Manager. Even I've made several hundred bucks off custom skins, logos and modifications. The money is here man, just come on over!

If $250,000 is the TOTAL market at IPS for all the devs combined over the lifetime of the marketplace (30 months or so) then I can tell you that it's significantly smaller than vBulletin's. I would estimate vBulletin's paid market to be at least double that size, potentially several times larger. A figure like that regarding xF's market would be really *REALLY* helpful actually, I don't suppose anything like that has been made available? I know I didn't turn up anything like that for XF in my research :(

I know Jaxel's work is very high quality, what would interest me is whether or not he's breaking $25-30k a year with his xF mods (e.g making a living from it.) If he isn't I think anyone would struggle to at this point.

Honestly whether or not there is an opportunity remains to be seen. The truth is that a hostile community makes it much more difficult to convince our coders to code for xF and support their mods on xenforo.com.

The hostility of vocal parts of the community is what gives me - and the half dozen coders at DBTech - pause.

:LOL:

I mean. Seriously.

Now, instead of pointing the finger at this oh-so-hostile xF community, why don't you just say what your true issue is, namely that you and your coders aren't familiar with popular design patterns such as MVC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom