DragonByte Tech add-ons not coming to XF anytime soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
:LOL:

I mean. Seriously.

Now, instead of pointing the finger at this oh-so-hostile xF community, why don't you just say what your true issue is, namely that you and your coders aren't familiar with popular design patterns such as MVC?

We have a couple of coders on the team who are familiar and comfortable with MVC. We didn't have much trouble porting two of our existings mods over to xF when we done it before. :)

Now, instead of pointing the finger at this oh-so-hostile xF community, why don't you just say what your true issue is, namely that you and your coders aren't familiar with popular design patterns such as MVC?
It's not even that they are popular, it's that many of the design patterns that XenForo implements are solid, proven to work, patterns that have been around since the 70's.

If $250,000 is the TOTAL market at IPS for all the devs combined over the lifetime of the marketplace (30 months or so) then I can tell you that it's significantly smaller than vBulletin's. I would estimate vBulletin's paid market to be at least double that size, potentially several times larger. A figure like that regarding xF's market would be really *REALLY* helpful actually, I don't suppose anything like that has been made available? I know I didn't turn up anything like that for XF in my research :(

I know Jaxel's work is very high quality, what would interest me is whether or not he's breaking $25-30k a year with his xF mods (e.g making a living from it.) If he isn't I think anyone would struggle to at this point.
IPS has a figure because they get a percentage and track the sales. Xenforo does not get a percentage or track sales so you won't get a figure unless developers come forward which I doubt because some people just don't want competition and don't want to be forced to work harder. Resources here aren't even checked for quality.

Developers have it easy at Xenforo, that's why so many have switched over from vBulletin. Not only is it easier to create modifications for it (even noobs like me have learned how and I ain't know jack diddly squat two years ago and I am not that smart) but there are some really good trustworthy customers who will defend your addon and business. You won't have to sit here all day argue and back and forth like you are now.

Once you have a loyal Xenforo customer then they will not only defend your product in your thread, they will suggest your product to other customers and even create threads of praise about your product and business. They do that here now even with products and services I know are GARBAGE.

I agree, vBulletin is a much larger market. I have spent hundreds of dollars on modifications there, more so than I have at Xenforo, but unlike vBulletin, there are alot of modifications on Xenforo that we simply don't have that we are very willing to pay for the development of, which would fit your business perfectly because you already have a lot of stuff worth buying.

We're a company, of course profit is one of our motivations - if our motivation was to not make profit we wouldn't be a company, we'd be out of business.
Many good companies make good products and provide good support, making a tidy profit and handsome living. Profit is a very low motivation, if at all. They draw a wage and lead a nice life, making and supporting a good product for a reasonable and market equivalent price, and providing good after sales service.

I don't know WHY the community is so poisonous and venomous towards developers (especially certain developers) but if someone has an explanation i'm all ears.

Having come from the bleachers of vB - watching/reading, rarely vocalising - I find XF quite the opposite. The XF community are intelligent and articulate community managers, having found a superior and relatively stress free product to enable them to focus on the community and not the code or bugs. Because of the experience and articulate nature, and having found the zen with XF :) , they don't accept (or get lost in inexperienced fanboi'ism) direct or 3rd party add-ons, or developers, that bring low grade solutions or blame shifting. They argue with good logic, and accept the truthfulness in most situations and have relatively good BS detectors. DragonByte Tech will likely come to XF one day, if someone doesn't get in first and leave you with little more to offer, and based on the quality of existing products here and elsewhere probably do quite well in extending it's reputation and ensuring a future with XF. The balls in your court and it's up to you if you see the opportunity, or watch and let it likely be lost due to the entry of top quality alternatives.

I wonder on how many more threads people are going to hate on Jaxel for removing a feature in XenPorta that he will most likely add back anyway..
Only change to the latest that I wish would change back is the one where I had a forum (site news) set so that every post I made there reflected to the Recent News module. Now I have to take an extra step and remember to promote it. Not that big of a deal, just a little extra time. It IS nice though to be able to decide which ones I want - so it's not a change that I can really gripe about and will probably like better.

If $250,000 is the TOTAL market at IPS for all the devs combined over the lifetime of the marketplace (30 months or so) then I can tell you that it's significantly smaller than vBulletin's. I would estimate vBulletin's paid market to be at least double that size, potentially several times larger. A figure like that regarding xF's market would be really *REALLY* helpful actually, I don't suppose anything like that has been made available? I know I didn't turn up anything like that for XF in my research :(

I know Jaxel's work is very high quality, what would interest me is whether or not he's breaking $25-30k a year with his xF mods (e.g making a living from it.) If he isn't I think anyone would struggle to at this point.
Regardless of what is stated in that thread, or some others have said in this one, the XF is market is nothing like the vB market (even after years of abuse by IB ownership) or the IPB market. Don't get me wrong, I love XF, but making a decent living from it is still a long ways off (I know of what I speak, I used to own vBSkinworks and Transverse Styles). Whether that fact prevents someone from investing their time and money in it is not up to me to advise, obviously, as here I am. ;)

Many good companies make good products and provide good support, making a tidy profit and handsome living. Profit is a very low motivation, if at all. They draw a wage and lead a nice life, making and supporting a good product for a reasonable and market equivalent price, and providing good after sales service.

Having come from the bleachers of vB - watching/reading, rarely vocalising - I find XF quite the opposite. The XF community are intelligent and articulate community managers, having found a superior and relatively stress free product to enable them to focus on the community and not the code or bugs. Because of the experience and articulate nature, and having found the zen with XF :) , they don't accept (or get lost in inexperienced fanboi'ism) direct or 3rd party add-ons, or developers, that bring low grade solutions or blame shifting. They argue with good logic, and accept the truthfulness in most situations and have relatively good BS detectors. DragonByte Tech will likely come to XF one day, if someone doesn't get in first and leave you with little more to offer, and based on the quality of existing products here and elsewhere probably do quite well in extending it's reputation and ensuring a future with XF. The balls in your court and it's up to you if you see the opportunity, or watch and let it likely be lost due to the entry of top quality alternatives.

Making a wage requires making profit. I'm not sure how much money you think your favourite add-on developers actually make, but i'd bet it's less than you believe. Look at IPB's figures - $250,000 between over 500 coders and IPB's market is several times larger than XFs. Making enough money for a handsome living in the add-on game isn't easy. Outside of DBTech i'm not sure how many people there are actually making enough to live comfortably from forum addons. If it's more than half a dozen I would be absolutely astounded. That's why i'm extremely interested in hearing from anyone who actually is making a good living from the xF marketplace.

Think on it this way, an average mod costs about $30. To make a decent amount of money someone would have to sell one thousand of those - and that's not including costs. At this point selling 1,000 of a mod is a significant percentage of the xF userbase so it's probably not possible. So instead they could sell, say, 10 mods and sell about 100 of each, that's more possible. The problem there is they have to continue selling 100 of each every year and continue to support and improve those mods, which means the next year there is less time to create new mods...

I'm not sure how many $30+ mods in the xF marketplace are selling 1,000 copies a year (or even 100) but i'd be very interested in finding out. I suspect it's a smaller number than you think, since you seem to believe it's easy enough to make a livable wage from mod making without paying very close attention to making those mods profitable. IPB's Market worked out at about 8,300 mods sold at an average of $30 per mod over 30 months. That works out at about 276 mods sold per month. that means each coder, on average, sold about 0.5 mods per month - way less than the 1,000 needed to make a living. And that's in a market that's probably 7-8x larger than xFs. That market has enough money floating around to support about 8 coders. Extrapolating, the xF market has enough floating around to support one or two at this point. If you're not careful about making profit you've got no chance of making a livable wage, unfortunately.

Regardless of what is stated in that thread, the XF is market is nothing like the vB market (even after years of abuse by IB ownership). Don't get me wrong, I love XF, but making a decent living from it is still a long ways off (I know of what I speak, I used to own vBSkinworks and Transverse Styles). Whether that fact prevents someone from investing their time and money in it is not up to me to advise, obviously, as here I am. ;)
That was my suspicion, and I expect the other coders and such on here would say the same (that they're not making $30k a year from their xF work) That's why the other aspects of the decision become so important - because it's almost certainly NOT profitable just now, or for the forseeable future. Going through a lot of hassle and hostility to lose money for probably at least a year or two is why it's hard to convince our coders to give xF a shot. Not, as some have implied, because they can't code "properly".

Many good companies make good products and provide good support, making a tidy profit and handsome living. Profit is a very low motivation, if at all.
I don't think we would have the excellent paid addons that we have now if their developers didn't had profit in mind. Profit is always the biggest motivation for making paid add-ons.

I have several $30 mods installed on my site right now and they are all worth it. There are other $30 mods out I haven't installed that are worth it too like bookmarks and social connect. There are free mods on my list that I think are worth $30 but not everyone here is all about profit, for instance, all my addons and styles are free, it's only when people ask me for custom work that I earn anything. But yeah if you see on my list I also have plenty of addons I paid for the development for and several addons that others have pitched in to donate as well. What's missing from this list? Freaking DBTech addons that's what!!! :cool:

8thosAddonsListHistory.webp

That was my suspicion, and I expect the other coders and such on here would say the same (that they're not making $30k a year from their xF work)
I don't really know what a good yearly profit figure for mod creators is, tbh, but I can tell you that $30k a year profit selling skins would have been a crap year for me in the vB world, and I've seen nothing close to that in the XF world...and don't expect to for years to come, still. XF essentially lost the last year (when it hurt them the most) and at the same time, drove many away that are just now slowly returning.

I have several $30 mods installed on my site right now and they are all worth it. There are other $30 mods out I haven't installed that are worth it too like bookmarks and social connect. There are free mods on my list that I think are worth $30 but not everyone here is all about profit, for instance, all my addons and styles are free, it's only when people ask me for custom work that I earn anything. But yeah if you see on my list I also have plenty of addons I paid for the development for and several addons that others have pitched in to donate as well. What's missing from this list? Freaking DBTech addons that's what!!! :cool:

View attachment 45702

Cheers for that image! And let me be super clear about something - When i talk about a vocal minority on xF I do mean exactly that, a vocal MINORITY. By no means am i suggesting the community as a whole is bad, or even that most people, or hell, even that a large number of people are. Just a small number - they just stand out more and have more of an effect on things because the overall community size is still pretty small.

Out of curiosity could you PM me what you normally charge for custom work/get paid for custom work? Usually what people are willing to pay for that is an interesting economic indicator.

I don't really know what a good yearly profit figure for mod creators is, tbh, but I can tell you that $30k a year profit selling skins would have been a crap year for me in the vB world, and I've seen nothing close to that in the XF world...and don't expect to for years to come, still. XF essentially lost the last year and at the same time, drove many away that are just now slowly returning.

$30k a year is what i would peg as a "livable" wage for a coder. Less than that and they're going to, sooner or later, abandon their work and go get a job so they can live properly. We could probably attract/keep a coder working full time on xF if we could guarantee them that, basically.

Out of curiosity could you PM me what you normally charge for custom work/get paid for custom work? Usually what people are willing to pay for that is an interesting economic indicator.
You need only search the Custom Service/Development Requests forum:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/300-for-statistics-of-top-posters-post-ratings-etc.40333/ - $300
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/advanced-image-slider-paid-100-budget.45863/ - $100
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/150-€-cache-xenforo-posts-in-database.36814/ - 150€
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/1-500-for-a-storefront-resource-like-ip-nexus.35686/ - $1,500

It all depends on the addon and the amount of effort to put into it.

I saw those, was wondering if there was a thriving "private" sector though. I know the majority of custom work we take on is from direct approaches. It doesn't look like there's much of a market for custom work paying PHP programmer hourly wages out there just now for xF in the public realm though.

I saw those, was wondering if there was a thriving "private" sector though. I know the majority of custom work we take on is from direct approaches. It doesn't look like there's much of a market for custom work paying PHP programmer hourly wages out there just now for xF in the public realm though.
Yeah, I would imagine it would be difficult to find a customer to pay hourly - very risky business there. That's where project management skills come in and one has to decide how much it would take for him/her to invest the time to develop a particular product. And if the customer agrees, you have yourself a sale.

I don't really know what a good yearly profit figure for mod creators is, tbh, but I can tell you that $30k a year profit selling skins would have been a crap year for me in the vB world, and I've seen nothing close to that in the XF world
I make less than half of that per year :eek:

I'll also add that personally, I have an addon or two in mind that I would pay to have custom made, and wouldn't mind the developer selling it to the rest of the XF community to make more money off of. Some things customers want to be exclusive to themselves, but other things that are more practical they might not mind sharing them so the investment of time would be more worth it for the developer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom