DragonByte Tech add-ons not coming to XF anytime soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did too!

Where's a good 'schoolyard bully gets called out for preaching do as I say, not as I do and then claiming everyone else is wrong except him' emoticon when you need it?

It's OK, I'll go bake some more bread in the kitchen again - you can recommence your tit for tat without me again now.

Great. Thanks. I guess you don't comprehend the difference in *****ing and trashtalking. Either way. Enjoy your baking.

I think you lack vision.

You either get in on the ground floor or someone else will.

No one is saying you need to replace your current development. As a business man, you should know not to put all your apples or eggs in 1 place. You can very well continue to produce for vBulletin and add XenForo as a growing market for early adaptation.

If your company can't afford that or properly plan that... You're either not doing as good as you say or don't know how to manage your company.

Thanks for the input - I generally find those with the most to say about how to run a forum software company are the ones with no experience actually running one though :) It's very easy to sit and say "if you do X, Y will happen. If not then Z!" if you have no experience of what's actually involved in X, Y or Z.

If you have some research you can show me with projections about the size of the xF mod market, the average spend on current mods per mod, the income of the most successful developers currently and some statements about the profitability potential from developers who ran successful (six figure) software companies for vB and now are part of the xenForo market I would very much appreciate seeing that research though. It would help me make those calculations you seem to have made already :)

Unrelated: How did this thread end up being the home to an argument between 3 or so completely different people, utterly unrelated to the subject at hand? Seriously guys, in a thread where one of the main points is "is the xF community oddly hostile" you're attacking each OTHER, let alone us. Come on now, not the best time/place for it.

I guess you don't comprehend the difference in *****ing and trashtalking.

trash-talk(tr
abreve.gif
sh
prime.gif
tôk
lprime.gif
)

intr.v. trash-talked, trash-talk·ing, trash-talks
To speak disparagingly, often insultingly or abusively about a person

*****(b
ibreve.gif
ch)

n.
2. Offensive
c. A man considered to be weak or contemptible. Generally accepted to be depicted by stewart1champ

Unrelated: How did this thread end up being the home to an argument between 3 or so completely different people, utterly unrelated to the subject at hand? Seriously guys, in a thread where one of the main points is "is the xF community oddly hostile" you're attacking each OTHER, let alone us. Come on now, not the best time/place for it.

I replied to Adam Howard. The rest naturally comes. I think DBT would have a better experience here.

you're attacking each OTHER, let alone us.
The thread was a WOTAM beforehand, now it's just some good fun mudslinging (ooops, best I go wikipedia and dictionary that one, in case I don't know the difference between that and ummmm, baking). Don't worry, stewart1champ and mike edge will want to give me a kiss and have a threeway in the morning :)

Some people live this. Please excuse them and pay no mind to their insane ramblings. We need you on Xenforo!!!

You'll see this elsewhere. I've seen my fair share of it over at vBulletin as well. To say that the XF community is, in whole, hostile is just plain exaggeration.

If you have some research you can show me with projections about the size of the xF mod market, the average spend on current mods per mod, the income of the most successful developers currently and some statements about the profitability potential from developers

Were not developers, but I launched xF Host in late Jan of this year. I will not give an exact client figure but since then we have grown to now hosting over 100 xF installations in less then our first 6 months open. That includes several xF communities with 1m+ posts. Our prices are premium level with smallest package starting at 14.95 per month, slightly less then the premium prices URL Jet gets for vB hosting solutions.

Thanks for the input - I generally find those with the most to say about how to run a forum software company are the ones with no experience actually running one though :) It's very easy to sit and say "if you do X, Y will happen. If not then Z!" if you have no experience of what's actually involved in X, Y or Z.

If you have some research you can show me with projections about the size of the xF mod market, the average spend on current mods per mod, the income of the most successful developers currently and some statements about the profitability potential from developers who ran successful (six figure) software companies for vB and now are part of the xenForo market I would very much appreciate seeing that research though. It would help me make those calculations you seem to have made already :)

Nice cop out.

I can clearly see we'll get only talk out of you and no follow through.

Someone else will be here to take your place shortly (from the ground floor). Thanks.

You'll see this elsewhere. I've seen my fair share of it over at vBulletin as well. To say that the XF community is, in whole, hostile is just plain exaggeration.

To clarify again (done so earlier in the thread, but for the sake of posterity) I'm not meaning to suggest the entire community, or even most of it, is hostile or unfriendly - just a very vocal minority who seem to pop up everywhere. Because the community itself is relatively small they have a disproportionately large impact though. I know quite a few people here and they're by and large great people. The mods and devs (and Ashley) are also a fantastic group of people. The official side to the xF community is fantastic.

Were not developers, but I launched xF Host in late Jan of this year. I will not give an exact client figure but since then we have grown to now hosting over 100 xF installations in less then our first 6 months open. That includes several xF communities with 1m+ posts. Our prices are premium level with smallest package starting at 14.95 per month, slightly less then the premium prices URL Jet gets for vB hosting solutions.

Cheers for that, Mike. It's appreciated

To clarify again (done so earlier in the thread, but for the sake of posterity) I'm not meaning to suggest the entire community, or even most of it, is hostile or unfriendly - just a very vocal minority who seem to pop up everywhere. Because the community itself is relatively small they have a disproportionately large impact though. I know quite a few people here and they're by and large great people. The mods and devs (and Ashley) are also a fantastic group of people. The official side to the xF community is fantastic.
It's an extreme minority! Every community has village idiots, creepy uncles and pathological liars, doesn't matter where you are in the world, it's a given. Sometimes some are louder than others. Let the awesomeness of Xenforo drown them out. A lot of us will welcome your products and services with open arms.

So why is the hostile community one of the main basis for your argument on doing work for XF? You'll see this everywhere. Especially at vBulletin.com. There are so many good people here, helping out, offering advice, creating free addons, creating free styles, promoting good morale...a few bad apples doesn't scare them off. Why should it scare you off?

Nice cop out.

I can clearly see we'll get only talk out of you and no follow through.

Someone else will be here to take your place shortly (from the ground floor). Thanks.

Not a cop out at all, I'm genuinely trying to gather as much data as possible to help me make accurate decisions on this stuff. You seemed extremely certain about your position on profitability potential and I was hoping that was based on some actual data you would be willing to share and not just on what you figure is probably right in your head.

I don't know WHY the community is so poisonous and venomous towards developers (especially certain developers) but if someone has an explanation i'm all ears.

I'm not meaning to suggest the entire community, or even most of it, is hostile or unfriendly - just a very vocal minority

Now, isn't hindsight and re-sheathing of a broadsword before it's wielded it's over generalisation such a good idea :) If only you'd been that descriptive when you'd first made the statement, stewart and adam might not have had the opportunity to dance and help raise your SEO with XF ;)

I personally didn't use DT's mods, purely because of the amount of links that were added.
Yes one could be turned off (the Hivelocity one), but it was still way overboard imo.
But I did enjoy the products he made, I thought they were very good.
It was nice to see both a lite and pro version, but it would've been nice, if the copyright removal was cheaper for those who couldn't afford the pro version, or, just remove the copyright in the pro versions.

Now, isn't hindsight and re-sheathing of a broadsword before it's wielded it's over generalisation such a good idea :) If only you'd been that descriptive when you'd first made the statement, stewart and adam might not have had the opportunity to dance and help raise your SEO with XF ;)

But I like dancing. Haha. Especially with Mr. Howard.

Either way, I could really see a benefit for DBT to get involved in coding some modifications for XF. Just my personal opinion, but the Signature and Avatar ones I don't think really went well, and were not well received. That was over a year ago though. I could see the case being made for say that Activity mod, or Shop mod, I know the Shop has had many members here at wits end to get one. I think their shoutbox would be a viable competitor to TaigaChat, and when you have competition, in the end, only users benefit.

I do hope they hop on board, at least with one of their major add-ons (Shop), to get their toe wet and test the waters. They would have 500+ downloads instantly, and then they would see what could be done.

Reactions: DRE
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom