Does xenforo support thread prefix?

How do Thread Prefixes help a forum ?

They allow you to categorise threads within a single forum. The forum user can see from the thread title what the topic is related to without having to delve further into the thread. I don't use them that often but where I do they are invaluable e.g. a sub forum on one of my forums is dedicated to router trouble shooting. Posting the router type as a prefix to each thread title directs the expert help to the hardware they are familiar with. The alternative would be to create multiple sub forums but thread prefixes provide a far more elegant solution.

They allow you to categorise threads within a single forum. The forum user can see from the thread title what the topic is related to without having to delve further into the thread. I don't use them that often but were I do they are invaluable e.g. a sub forum on one of my forums is dedicated to router trouble shooting. Posting the router type as a prefix to each thread title directs the expert help to the hardware they are familiar with. The alternative would be to create multiple sub forums but thread prefixes provide a far more elegant solution.

It's like Tags, but in the Title. Your example is very useful.

I notice people manually do it here ... ie. [Bug] [Solved] [Implemented]

I bet having the router name in the title is very good with Google Search spiders. (it forces important content).
It avoids 256 threads like this: Help my router won't work !

Are thread prefixes a core thing in vBulletin or an Addon ?

They are a core feature of vBulletin and quite nicely implemented e.g. there is support for HTML mark up so you could for example colour code your prefixes.

It's certainly a feature I would like to see in XenForo and looking at the code Brogan posted it looks like it's planned.

Any news about the thread prefixes?
Is it worth start coding a add-on for this, or will there be the same "bad surprise" as with the feed poster?*g* (time frame? wait till the next relese, 1/2 year / 1 year, no we don't want to implement them)

We all have different uses for thread prefixes.
I have a classifieds section where members choose what state [US] they have something for sale.

My current forum I am trying to start has too many forums.
I could combine them by using thread prefixes.
Once the forum gets popular (hopefully), I can separate those prefixes into their own forum.

I think the use of thread prefixes depends on what kind of forum you run...

For our forum they are invaluable in marking threads as a way of warning the members of what kind of content is in that thread. For people who might find particular content upsetting, adding a particular 'warning' using thread prefixes really helps members to practice good self-care. (Very important on a forum like ours!) :)

Hope it's sooner rather than later, this is the only thing holding us back from moving to XF right now :) (already purchased, and test upgrade of a pretty big board complete)

With our car forum, it makes peoples lives a lot easier to see what car a thread is about first

Based on the popularity of the suggestion, it's pretty clear that people want them, thus it's a safe bet that it'll appear in a future version.

I was hoping this was going to be implemented on the stable release :/, but can't complain, good job with the stable release!! Hopefully the bug count will stay down and allow futher implemation of suggestions like this!

(y)

I was hoping this was going to be implemented on the stable release :/, but can't complain, good job with the stable release!! Hopefully the bug count will stay down and allow futher implemation of suggestions like this!

(y)
Me too. I need to hold off relaunching one site until there are thread prefixes.

Top Bottom