1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does xenforo support thread prefix?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Member 3639, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Member 3639

Member 3639 Active Member

Does xenforo support thread prefix like "[released] version 1" sort of thing, can't find the option.
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Thread prefixes are planned but not yet currently implemented.

3. Member 3639

Member 3639 Active Member

Ah right fricken sweet, can't wait to use them :D.

Here's to hoping they give us a little christmas present with a new version before christmas to play with then :D
  4. Russian

Russian New Member

So much needed feature
    xFan likes this.
  5. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

How do Thread Prefixes help a forum ?
  6. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Well-Known Member

They allow you to categorise threads within a single forum. The forum user can see from the thread title what the topic is related to without having to delve further into the thread. I don't use them that often but where I do they are invaluable e.g. a sub forum on one of my forums is dedicated to router trouble shooting. Posting the router type as a prefix to each thread title directs the expert help to the hardware they are familiar with. The alternative would be to create multiple sub forums but thread prefixes provide a far more elegant solution.
    erich37, gldtn, Edrondol and 2 others like this.
  7. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

It's like Tags, but in the Title. Your example is very useful.

I notice people manually do it here ... ie. [Bug] [Solved] [Implemented]

I bet having the router name in the title is very good with Google Search spiders. (it forces important content).
    It avoids 256 threads like this: Help my router won't work !

Are thread prefixes a core thing in vBulletin or an Addon ?
  8. zappaDPJ

They are a core feature of vBulletin and quite nicely implemented e.g. there is support for HTML mark up so you could for example colour code your prefixes.

It's certainly a feature I would like to see in XenForo and looking at the code Brogan posted it looks like it's planned.
    Russian likes this.
  9. Russian

Russian New Member

ZappaDPJ described the purpose of it really well, got my "like" for it =) nothing to add to be perfectly honest.
  10. ragtek

ragtek Guest

Any news about the thread prefixes?
    Is it worth start coding a add-on for this, or will there be the same "bad surprise" as with the feed poster?*g* (time frame? wait till the next relese, 1/2 year / 1 year, no we don't want to implement them)
  11. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Based on the popularity of the suggestion, it's pretty clear that people want them, thus it's a safe bet that it'll appear in a future version.
    erich37, aculate, Sar and 7 others like this.
  12. zappaDPJ

Thanks, that's good to hear :)
  13. steven s

steven s Well-Known Member

We all have different uses for thread prefixes.
    I have a classifieds section where members choose what state [US] they have something for sale.

My current forum I am trying to start has too many forums.
    I could combine them by using thread prefixes.
    Once the forum gets popular (hopefully), I can separate those prefixes into their own forum.
    bobs409 and erich37 like this.
  14. Jo.

Jo. Well-Known Member

I think the use of thread prefixes depends on what kind of forum you run...

For our forum they are invaluable in marking threads as a way of warning the members of what kind of content is in that thread. For people who might find particular content upsetting, adding a particular 'warning' using thread prefixes really helps members to practice good self-care. (Very important on a forum like ours!) :)
  15. PVO_Dave

PVO_Dave Active Member

Hope it's sooner rather than later, this is the only thing holding us back from moving to XF right now :) (already purchased, and test upgrade of a pretty big board complete)

With our car forum, it makes peoples lives a lot easier to see what car a thread is about first
  16. gldtn

gldtn Well-Known Member

I was hoping this was going to be implemented on the stable release :/, but can't complain, good job with the stable release!! Hopefully the bug count will stay down and allow futher implemation of suggestions like this!

17. steven s

steven s Well-Known Member

Me too. I need to hold off relaunching one site until there are thread prefixes.
  18. Tigratrus

Tigratrus Well-Known Member

We also use them for a "For sale or trade" type forum. Very helpful feature. :)