XF 2.2 Can I give banned users access to "support" thread/node only?

BubbaLovesCheese

Hi,

Is there a way to give banned user access to only 1 specific thread or node?

I would like to have a "support" thread that only banned users can access or see, while blocking off the rest of the forum.

Thanks.

I can't think of a reason why you would want that. Sure I can see why a ban appeal to mods or admins makes sense.

I guess I was speaking backwards. The description made me think it allows conversations with everyone, which is what I wouldn't want to happen. I was hoping it would be with only mods or admins.

It only allows them the ability to reply to existing conversations.

Thanks. I was looking for a way to allow banned players to "appeal" their cases to an admin or mod only. I don't want them still to have a forum to speak to (pun unintended) ;-)

Here is what we do in case it's of help.

Prior to a full ban, we place the user into a secondary UserGroup (we call it "Suspended" - your choice of title). We do that typically by issuing a Warning with an associated action to add the UserGroup. It can, of course, also be added in the AdminCP.

The secondary user group has almost all of its permissions removed, so it can't interact with the forum. Except:

We have a node set up with permissions such that only the Original Poster (thread starter) and certain team members can see any threads in it. We allow Suspended members (along with those selected team members) to start a thread and reply. Other members (who have never started a thread there) see an empty forum.

Thus, the ONLY place a suspended member can interact is inside this forum. He can negotiate his position there as required. The team members can judge and respond. And restore or ban as determined.

All done without add-ons.

Here is what we do in case it's of help.

Prior to a full ban, we place the user into a secondary UserGroup (we call it "Suspended" - your choice of title). We do that typically by issuing a Warning with an associated action to add the UserGroup. It can, of course, also be added in the AdminCP.

The secondary user group has almost all of its permissions removed, so it can't interact with the forum. Except:

We have a node set up with permissions such that only the Original Poster (thread starter) and certain team members can see any threads in it. We allow Suspended members (along with those selected team members) to start a thread and reply. Other members (who have never started a thread there) see an empty forum.

Thus, the ONLY place a suspended member can interact is inside this forum. He can negotiate his position there as required. The team members can judge and respond. And restore or ban as determined.

All done without add-ons.
We do pretty much the same thing. Our old board software (IGN SnowBoards) had an "unban request" system which was essentially a rudimentary ticketing system where a banned user could submit a request and communicate with the admins to negotiate their return to the forums.

Since XF1 didn't have a similar feature, we set up an Unban Requests node only visible to admins and users added to a Banned usergroup. Those users have all their permissions removed other than access to this one node where they can only see and reply to their own threads.

We thought about using conversations for this instead, but conversations are private and can't be easily accessed and referenced later by other staff members.

The main caveat with this system is that other than spammers, most of our bans are of this temporary type where we allow access to the Unban Request node, which means for the most part we don't use Xenforo's banning system and instead manually add users to the Banned usergroup. Only if a user is deemed permanently banned with no chance of returning will we add them to the regular ban list.

It would be great if a banned user could still have permission to communicate with staff via a special node.

Top Bottom