XF 2.2 I want to make a node private to only the thread starter (registered user for example and moderator or admin ?

spirogg

hello I have a node that I want to make private to only the user who starts a thread and the moderator - admin to reply back n forth.

so I went to groups & permissions > node permissions > selected the node I want to use as support.

I saw this setting : View threads by others : is this the only setting I need to select NO too ?

Will this then allow a registered user / any user group (other than mods and admins) to start a thread and only mods / admins can collaborate back n forth with that user and only the OP can view that thread no other user or user group ??

( basically I want 1 node for customer support - complaints or just any kind of support one on one.)

But I don't want other users to be able to view the support request & replies, by any other users or user groups.

would this be the correct way to do this ?

thanks.

Spiro

Last edited:
AdminCP >> Groups & permissions >> Node permissions >> {name of node}

Set the permissions for that node for Registered Users as follows:

registered-node-permissions.png

Then make sure that Admins and Moderators have full permissions for the node.

Ha! I type than slower than @Brogan but then I have screenshots. :D

View attachment 240970

will this still allow the user who started the support thread to reply back n forth to the moderator / admin answering them? just making sure ?

also you said - we have to set to YES for moderator and admin

so this would basically mean: for all the NO's that I set in registered users group I have to manually set YES in admin and mods - correct?

This is because the inherit setting in moderators/admins - is actually inherited from the registered user group - so we need to manually set them to YES

I'm New and learning, so I just want to make sure I understand why also :)

thanks so much @Brogan @djbaxter

View attachment 240970

thanks again for your reply @djbaxter - but I think these settings you gave would only allow moderators and admins to talk?

I need to be able to have users talk to moderators and admins but no other user can see the thread of that user.

so I think @Brogan has the correct answer..

But YES you did help me with another question I would of asked about moderators and admins only talking to each other

So I do appreciate your reply and screenshot :) my friend.

so this would be the correct reason why we need to change from inherit to YES in moderators and admins permissions?
also you said - we have to set to YES for moderator and admin

so this would basically mean: for all the NO's that I set in registered users group I have to manually set YES in admin and mods - correct?

This is because the inherit setting in moderators/admins - is actually inherited from the registered user group - so we need to manually set them to YES

It depends on what your current permissions are for Admins and Mods. Inherit may be fine.

And yes if you want the thread starter to ber able to talk to admins and mods, then change the permissions for his/her threads only, not for the entire node, i/e. can post a thread AND can reply to own threads.

@Brogan Can you assist me one more time?

- why do all the threads and replies from users in the node I just created for support node - require approval always ?

they can post in other nodes without approval only in this support node they all require approval ?

is that the workflow of xenforo?

because for registered users I have set the permission so they do not need approval to post in a node, but this one is private so is there a way to change this or no ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom