Does anyone use phpFox?

DRE

A member on my site made a site using phpFox software.

Check it out here: www.phpFox.com

I checked out his site to see what was so great and I really like the profile page features of phpFox. Looks way better than xenforo's. Xenforo still has a superior forum software though.

I don't see any advice here. Just one person says they don't like it, and another suggests there's a security flaw.
Neither comment is useful to anyone else without more specifics.

It's quite possible that what one person doesn't like "wouldn't use" looks very different to another.
It's even possible that a security flaw that matters on one board is less important on another, or might be worth patching IF it was clear what it is.

Guys secrets don't suit advice giving.

I have also been thinking about using phpfox for one of my projects but the demo site feels sluggish and slow to me and site speed is very important to me.

Free advise? You didn't give any. You never answered any of his questions.

I've given the advise that I wish to give. Enough for a smart man / women to understand.

It is not my responsibility to detail it further, though I'm sure you could argue it as preferred...

I see no reason to support, explain, assist, debug, fix, or offer a solution to a 3rd party product, who's development has been made aware of the issue (repeatedly) & has not acted to resolve it.

I could simply stay shut and allow people to unknowingly jump into such a mess. Would you preferred that I had?

I've given the advise that I wish to give. Enough for a smart man / women to understand.

It is not my responsibility to detail it further, though I'm sure you could argue it as preferred...

I see no reason to support, explain, assist, debug, fix, or offer a solution to a 3rd party product, who's development has been made aware of the issue (repeatedly) & has not acted to resolve it.

I could simply stay shut and allow people to unknowingly jump into such a mess. Would you preferred that I had?
What's this issue that they haven't resolved?

Out of all the social networking scripts I've seen, it's one of the coolest. I won't use it myself but if someone asks me what's a good social networking script I'll link them to phpFox. Would be great to know what the issue you have with it is so that I can pass the word.

Pretty much, yeah, you added nothing to the thread.

TheVistor is being smug and unhelpful, but it doesn't take much to find the concerns. Here are just two very current examples.

http://www.phpfox.com/forum/phpfox-troubleshooting-and-problems-55/security-issues/
http://www.phpfoxcamp.com/topic/1951-security-concern/

A little more digging shows it has a long history of security problems. They aren't isolated events. If I had to put a finger on the biggest issue, its the same problem you'd expect with a very long in the tooth codebase that evolves over time. It becomes dated, bloated and insecure.

The flip side is they do a good job of releasing updates when vulnerabilities are found, but they are found often.

phpfox v3 is awesome for small/medium sites. NOT LARGE, there isn't any large phpfox site without problems.
SE is for large social networks.

Also, I prefer an Xenforo Forum than it, Xenforo is also social, it doesn't have the capacity they have and the systems for do things, but it works just fine. I would like see more "social" things in Xenforo, without need to be only the forum basic systems, let people have more things for do in our site than read topics and post. :)

Also, I prefer an Xenforo Forum than it, Xenforo is also social, it doesn't have the capacity they have and the systems for do things, but it works just fine. I would like see more "social" things in Xenforo, without need to be only the forum basic systems, let people have more things for do in our site than read topics and post. :)

Back in the day when vbulletin 3.8 was around, a photo plugin from the core crew was simply missing. So I decided to use a third party photo plugin (http://www.photoplog.com). This went fine for a while, but as my traffic grew, the photo plugin kept on locking my database tables. That's why I decided to migrate from vbulletin to a company who takes care of the forum software and the photo plugin.

And nowadays (5 years later) I am surprised that people still think that images are not important within a forum software.

Top Bottom