Do you use one space or two?

unless i am in a legal setting or a place where i am otherwise required to have a stick up my butt...i often don't caps the first letter of the sentence or the letter I , double space, use correct quotes or any of that

if i ever planned on publishing my book i might go through and fix all of those corrections needed but chances are just like in this situation where i am typing it doesn't even matter as long as I make my point really

Only ever one.

The second is completely superfluous in the modern day. Professional typographers agree. The best practice has been one space for over 100 years. What caused the two space practice to creep back in was, of course, typewriters and early computers/printers. Monospaced lettering needed an extra space to improve readability.

Now it is never needed and should never be used. But unfortunately there's a large portion of people who have been taught that double spaces are correct and sadly there are people who still assert it as best practice. But it isn't.

Only ever one.

The second is completely superfluous in the modern day. Professional typographers agree. The best practice has been one space for over 100 years. What caused the two space practice to creep back in was, of course, typewriters and early computers/printers. Monospaced lettering needed an extra space to improve readability.

Now it is never needed and should never be used. But unfortunately there's a large portion of people who have been taught that double spaces are correct and sadly there are people who still assert it as best practice. But it isn't.

Technically it is still best practice for someone who works with 'copy' in mind rather than 'content'.

The first gave birth to the later and therefor the 'content' formatting is an amendment to what the original standards are...which still holds true for printed material...just look at a newspaper.

I only ever use one. In fact, I always use correct spelling and grammar when typing (in regards to capitals and spacing etc. at least).

It annoys me when people use more than once space... (or put a space before a punctuation mark, ARGHHH, that really annoys me!).

Liam

I'm in the English field, which adheres to MLA standards, and they specify one space. I've been taught for ages that two spaces is correct, so it's an on-going struggle to change my typing behavior. Most websites (like XF, I believe) will strip out extraneous spacing so I'm safe there... school assignments are another story.

Top Bottom