1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you use one space or two?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Chimpie, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Chimpie

Chimpie Well-Known Member

Lisa likes this.
  2. ge66

ge66 Active Member

One, didn't even know of the use of two.

Daniel Hood likes this.
  3. Daniel Hood

Daniel Hood Well-Known Member

Same.

4. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

I used to use 2 all the time. Now I trade on and off.

Chimpie likes this.
  5. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Two here as well... but thanks to HTML output rendering it shows as one. It took me a while to accept the two spaces I purposely type being reduced to one.

Chimpie likes this.
  6. melbo

melbo Well-Known Member

2, second tap adds a period :)

Flexin and FredC like this.
  7. EQnoble

EQnoble Well-Known Member

unless i am in a legal setting or a place where i am otherwise required to have a stick up my butt...i often don't caps the first letter of the sentence or the letter I , double space, use correct quotes or any of that

if i ever planned on publishing my book i might go through and fix all of those corrections needed but chances are just like in this situation where i am typing it doesn't even matter as long as I make my point really

8. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Only ever one.

The second is completely superfluous in the modern day. Professional typographers agree. The best practice has been one space for over 100 years. What caused the two space practice to creep back in was, of course, typewriters and early computers/printers. Monospaced lettering needed an extra space to improve readability.

Now it is never needed and should never be used. But unfortunately there's a large portion of people who have been taught that double spaces are correct and sadly there are people who still assert it as best practice. But it isn't.

Mr Lucky, Luke F and FredC like this.
  9. EQnoble

Technically it is still best practice for someone who works with 'copy' in mind rather than 'content'.

The first gave birth to the later and therefor the 'content' formatting is an amendment to what the original standards are...which still holds true for printed material...just look at a newspaper.

10. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

None.Just to be different.

JVCode, Kim, Andrej and 4 others like this.
  11. Gazhyde

Gazhyde Well-Known Member

Been using two since typing lessons at school 26 years ago, so it's second nature for me now.

12. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

I only ever use one. In fact, I always use correct spelling and grammar when typing (in regards to capitals and spacing etc. at least).

It annoys me when people use more than once space... (or put a space before a punctuation mark, ARGHHH, that really annoys me!).

Liam

Chimpie likes this.
  13. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

You should throw a "#" or two in there to be trendy as well. :p

14. EQnoble

15. wedgar

wedgar Well-Known Member

two spaces... Old habits die hard.

Chimpie likes this.
  16. LPH

LPH Well-Known Member

17. mistypants

mistypants Well-Known Member

I'm in the English field, which adheres to MLA standards, and they specify one space. I've been taught for ages that two spaces is correct, so it's an on-going struggle to change my typing behavior. Most websites (like XF, I believe) will strip out extraneous spacing so I'm safe there... school assignments are another story.

wedgar and Amaury like this.
  18. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

Like many others my natural inclination is to use two. If I'm really thinking about it, I'll use one. But for the most part it's two :D

Chimpie and wedgar like this.
  19. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

Why would you use two? It's just wrong... Like a space before punctuation...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  20. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

Kevin and Liam W like this.