Do you use Gravatars ?

Do you use Gravatars ?

• Yes

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • No

Votes: 30 57.7%
  • No, Gravatars ? Isn't that a bad vector graphics video game from the 80s ?

Votes: 4 7.7%

• Total voters
Yes, I certainly do.
It's like having Facebook friends listing, or Tweeting a thread.
It's another third party social interaction to make the social aspect of the community so much nicer.
Social interaction ?
I thought they just hosted your avatar ?
Does your avatar have a page ? Can you disable all "gravatar-interaction" ? I just want them to host the image.

Q: when you sign up with facebook does your facebook avatar follow you ?

Social interaction ?
I thought they just hosted your avatar ?
Does your avatar have a page ? Can you disable all "gravatar-interaction" ? I just want them to host the image.

Q: when you sign up with facebook does your facebook avatar follow you ?
Nope.

What happens is that your facebook avatar is used the first time you signup/login and it will always stay the same, even if you change your profile picture on FB.

xenforo.server.logs.gravatar.webp

I just ditched Gravatar.
Does anyone user Gravatar avatars anymore anyway ?

Yes.

I get mightily annoying when Gravatar is disabled on a XenForo site I register to.

I have to acquire a copy of my avatar and manually upload it. It's too much effort.

Mostly, if Gravatar isn't enabled, I don't use the site (I can't be doing without an avatar, but I'm too annoyed at being made to find and upload it manually).

Liam

Mostly, if Gravatar isn't enabled, I don't use the site (I can't be doing without an avatar, but I'm too annoyed at being made to find and upload it manually).
Liam
Interesting. I like to upload a more custom avatar for each site.
And the Avatar uploading on Xenforo is super great IMO.

My new Ghostery Extension for Chrome doesn't think highly of Gravatar.
Nor do a few people on TAZ.

Since I blocked Gravatar ... I see this for Gravatar folks.

upload_2016-8-21_20-37-34.webp

I was going to suggest Xenforo drop Gravatar ... but it sounds like people use it.

What I would like to see is to allow you to SET your avatar using Gravatar but then it's stored and served locally by XenForo.

In fact that's what I assumed happened until I saw this thread and went and investigated.

So it wouldn't be automatically updated when you update your Gravatar - you have to manually trigger a refresh, which I know kind of defeats the purpose, but at least make it end-user controlled. A checkbox like "Store Gravatar image locally" when you go to edit your avatar would do the job.

That would defeat the whole purpose of Gravatar.

Kind of - but I'm looking at an inbetween option - use Gravatar for easily choosing an avatar when you register (which is the main reason I use it), but I can also choose to have it not auto-update if I subsequently change the Gravatar.

Or perhaps it just works like the image caching elsewhere in XenForo - it caches the Gravatar images locally until expiry at which point it checks the source again and update the cache with the current image - and allow the user to force a cache refresh on their profile image.

Never liked Gravatar, and have always disabled it on my XenForo sites..

If people don't want to take the time to upload an avatar locally, then don't bother taking the time to register. It's a requirement to do so during the registration process on Umbrella Online.

Top Bottom