Do You Tell People What You Do For A Living?

Vicky

I used to but now I think its no-ones business.

I'm starting to think though I need to come up with something creative because i keep getting people asking me lol

I tell them
"I do many Volunteering" or "currently, I don't have a job" other times I tell the truth. It always depend on who you are talking too

If I tell them my title, I will get confused looks. I typically just say "I build web sites."
I used to say something like that too, but then people started referring web design clients to me and that's not what I wanted so I just tell people that I work for "a startup" instead. Most people can at least get that concept a little bit.

When I worked for The UN (United Nations) I was so very proud of myself and excited to have that job. But I learned that telling people you work for The UN or even placing that on your resume... People think you're crazy or making it up.

The Sum of All Fears --- good movie. One of my favorite cips from it is when he tells his girlfriend who he really works for. Simply put, that is exactly the response I use to get.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I used to tell people I was a DTP (Desktop Publisher) and then went on to Web Developer. I find most of what I've done is not something that most people understand. Even when I sat down with clients to discuss a project - Some of them that I knew C++ or whatever is needed to make actual programs for the computer >.>

Now I mainly stick to saying I'm a simple store manager. I've sort of given up on being a web dev/designer of any sort. Most of what I produce is for hobby and I can't help but wonder wtf half my clients are thinking when they want certain jobs done.... There's a comic somewhere describing what made me quit freelancing.

Some people wanted sites done in a week and at my rate I was like O.o find someone else. I'm not a slave! My fave part was how I was doing all this work in HS while my friends were still surviving off an allowance given to them. They dismissed my job as some sort of ugly chore and now that they're all 'professionals' they want free hook-ups! BAH! So I'm 'retired'.

I used to tell people I was a DTP (Desktop Publisher) and then went on to Web Developer. I find most of what I've done is not something that most people understand. Even when I sat down with clients to discuss a project - Some of them that I knew C++ or whatever is needed to make actual programs for the computer >.>

Now I mainly stick to saying I'm a simple store manager. I've sort of given up on being a web dev/designer of any sort. Most of what I produce is for hobby and I can't help but wonder wtf half my clients are thinking when they want certain jobs done.... There's a comic somewhere describing what made me quit freelancing.

Some people wanted sites done in a week and at my rate I was like o_O find someone else. I'm not a slave! My fave part was how I was doing all this work in HS while my friends were still surviving off an allowance given to them. They dismissed my job as some sort of ugly chore and now that they're all 'professionals' they want free hook-ups! BAH! So I'm 'retired'.
When I managed my own web hosting company and I told people I was a web host ..... Ya, that was a long conversation on how the Internet works.

So I later told them web master and some of them understood that, but still were puzzled. So I told them I made web sites (excluding the title) and most people figured that was a dead end job, with no further, and something only teens in Jr. High School did. o_O:confused:

Ironically, most people (here) still see it that way. :rolleyes:

And yet.... When they want something done who do they call? :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom