1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do You Tell People What You Do For A Living?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Vicky, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Vicky

Vicky Active Member

I used to but now I think its no-ones business.

I'm starting to think though I need to come up with something creative because i keep getting people asking me lol
  2. BlackJacket

BlackJacket Well-Known Member

I tell them I do work for Government programs. Then I walk away...
    Vicky likes this.
  3. borbole

borbole Well-Known Member

Yes, when I get asked about it by someone I usually tell him/her what I do for a living.
  4. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Reason for my existence:
    (1) Try to keep the wife Happy.
    (2) Play the Wii (my son)
  5. John L.

John L. Well-Known Member

If I tell them my title, I will get confused looks. I typically just say "I build web sites."
    0xym0r0n and Brandon Sheley like this.
  6. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Well-Known Member

ditto (y)
  7. kkm323

kkm323 Well-Known Member

I tell them
    "I do many Volunteering" or "currently, I don't have a job" other times I tell the truth. It always depend on who you are talking too
  8. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

9. petertdavis

petertdavis Well-Known Member

I used to say something like that too, but then people started referring web design clients to me and that's not what I wanted so I just tell people that I work for "a startup" instead. Most people can at least get that concept a little bit.
  10. Jaxel

Jaxel Well-Known Member

I broadcast video game tournaments over the internets. Lots of people, for some odd reason, enjoy watching other people play video games online.
    0xym0r0n and Digital Doctor like this.
  11. BlackJacket

BlackJacket Well-Known Member

Thats weird... :D
    M@rc likes this.
  12. Digital Doctor

So you are a Broadcaster ! :)
  13. Jaxel

Jaxel Well-Known Member

Yes, I am setting up right now for a broadcast at: http://twitch.tv/8wayrun
  14. Digital Doctor

I left after hearing "ULTIMATE MARVEL vs CAPCOM 3" for the 100th time ! :)
  15. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

When I worked for The UN (United Nations) I was so very proud of myself and excited to have that job. But I learned that telling people you work for The UN or even placing that on your resume... People think you're crazy or making it up.

The Sum of All Fears --- good movie. One of my favorite cips from it is when he tells his girlfriend who he really works for. Simply put, that is exactly the response I use to get.

0xym0r0n likes this.
  16. Digital Doctor

Heh. Pretty funny stuff.
    Great job.
    I thought the commentators were pretty great !
  17. Fred Sherman

Fred Sherman Well-Known Member

No, they never understand it
  18. 0xym0r0n

0xym0r0n Well-Known Member

I used to tell people I was a DTP (Desktop Publisher) and then went on to Web Developer. I find most of what I've done is not something that most people understand. Even when I sat down with clients to discuss a project - Some of them that I knew C++ or whatever is needed to make actual programs for the computer >.>

Now I mainly stick to saying I'm a simple store manager. I've sort of given up on being a web dev/designer of any sort. Most of what I produce is for hobby and I can't help but wonder wtf half my clients are thinking when they want certain jobs done.... There's a comic somewhere describing what made me quit freelancing.

Some people wanted sites done in a week and at my rate I was like o_O find someone else. I'm not a slave! My fave part was how I was doing all this work in HS while my friends were still surviving off an allowance given to them. They dismissed my job as some sort of ugly chore and now that they're all 'professionals' they want free hook-ups! BAH! So I'm 'retired'.
    Adam Howard likes this.
  19. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

When I managed my own web hosting company and I told people I was a web host ..... Ya, that was a long conversation on how the Internet works.

So I later told them web master and some of them understood that, but still were puzzled. So I told them I made web sites (excluding the title) and most people figured that was a dead end job, with no further, and something only teens in Jr. High School did. o_O:confused:

Ironically, most people (here) still see it that way. :rolleyes:

And yet.... When they want something done who do they call? :ROFLMAO: