MG 1.1 Do i need to install FFMPEG?

I am testing the MG 1.1 on my test forum.

I tried to upload a video but i got this message

Security error occurred. Please press back, refresh the page, and try again.
1.webp
40 mb video (.mp4)

I was able to download the 6mb dinosour video chris uploaded here and that worked good.

Then i went into my MG settings and i noticed that there is no settings for FFMPEG and it's not even enabled

Capture.webp

I am assumming that's why it's not working?
I thought i wouldn't have to install anything. I remember reading that in the HYS thread.

Anyways..

So i think these are the steps that i have to do in order to get the video working?

#1 install FFMPEG
#2 enable it in settings,
#3 click on Generate video thumbnails

That's all?

Do i have to click on Transcode videos and do i have to put something in PHP Binary Path?

Also, Transcode Limit, i don't understand this, should i keep it at 1?

Did i miss anything?

Last edited:
There are no prerequisites for being able to upload video and that's true because you've been able to upload the dinosaur video.

If you want thumbnails too that requires ffmpeg.

Those steps are correct. Install it, enable it by specifying the path where it was installed, click generate video thumbnails.

If you want to transcode videos to be able to accept more formats then you will need to enable that option. There's a queueing system for transcoding videos. 1 is the maximum number of videos that will be processed at a time. This is recommended unless you know your server can handle more. It's a very intensive process.

Sorry, completely forgot to address the other issue in your post...

The "Security error" you experienced is actually likely down to server configuration and file uploads. You need to make sure upload_max_file_size and post_max_size are of a sufficient size.

e.g. if you want to allow video uploads up to 100MB then you need to set the value of both of these to "100M".

You can change those values in php.ini.

Oh i see .. that was the problem. I had changed the upload_max_file_size but i didn't know i had to change the post_max_size as well. I changed it and it worked! Just missing the thumbnails

I was able to install FFMPEG. Now i just need to install the FFMPEG PHP EXENTION to get the thumbnails working.

Thanks for all the info!

ah.. Then i must of installed it wrong? It seemed like it worked.

I even restarted mysql and apache and the thumbnails still don't work.

I typed in which ffmpeg and which php and i got my answers and pasted them in the settings.

2.webp

If you can type /usr/bin/ffmpeg -version at a shell on your server and you get some version and other details then it should be installed correctly and it should be working correctly.

Is it safe to paste a screenshot here? It's got a bunch of secret information.

But it starts out with FFmpeg version 0.6.5

Im guessing the version is too old?

I installed ffmpeg via yum, using Dag repo.

I think Dag repo installs an older version of ffmpeg.

Actually,

I just read this thread:
FFMPEG & PHP Binary Path

And i just read your post. So now i know the problem.

I will upgrade my FFmpeg and report back here.

joey here reporting!

I did what you said to do in the other thread. Just replace that ffmpeg file and it didn't work at first but i waited 30 minutes (maybe cache) and it works!

Now the thumbnails show up! and video is working!

Mission Success! thank you sir for help! Mission Accomplished.

When i try to save the settings i get this error message

Server Error

exec() has been disabled for security reasons

1. XenForo_Application::handlePhpError()
  2. exec() in XenGallery/Helper/Video.php at line 458
  3. XenGallery_Helper_Video->_runFfmpegCommand() in XenGallery/Helper/Video.php at line 86
  4. XenGallery_Helper_Video->setFfmpegPath() in XenGallery/Helper/Video.php at line 17
  5. XenGallery_Helper_Video->__construct() in XenGallery/Option/Transcoding.php at line 27
  6. XenGallery_Option_Transcoding::verifyOption()
  7. call_user_func_array() in XenForo/DataWriter/Option.php at line 346
  8. XenForo_DataWriter_Option->_validateOptionValuePreSave() in XenForo/DataWriter/Option.php at line 211
  9. XenForo_DataWriter_Option->_preSave() in XenForo/DataWriter.php at line 1446
  10. XenForo_DataWriter->preSave() in XenForo/DataWriter.php at line 1385
  11. XenForo_DataWriter->save() in XenForo/Model/Option.php at line 572
  12. XenForo_Model_Option->updateOptions() in XenGallery/ControllerAdmin/Option.php at line 113
  13. XenGallery_ControllerAdmin_Option->actionXenGallerySave() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 347
  14. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 134

update: i needed to enable exec on my server. issue resolved

Last edited:
This from my server help.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

Due to a sudden influx of tickets, there has been a delay in resolving your issue. Since FFMPEG is not supported on the shared hosting platform, it is not possible to install it in the account. However, you can install FFMPEG in the VPS Hosting. You can signup for the VPS Hosting at http://www.netfirms.com/netfirms/vps.bml .

Thank you!

Steven D
Customer Support

Top Bottom