XF 1.5 DNSBLs

PaulB

In XenForo_DnsBl, the necessary code for three blacklists exists:
  • Spamhaus
  • Tornevall
  • Project Honey Pot
The method for Spamhaus isn't referenced anywhere, so that leaves Project Honey Pot and Tornevall. This is what the control panel says on those:

1528356885449.webp

Looking at the code, that description is kinda-sorta accurate. Here's what that looks like, in friendly table form:
Code:
╔═══════════════════╤═══════════════╗
║     Enabled?      │ DNSBL Queried ║
╟─────┬───────┬─────┼───────┬───────╢
║ SFS │ DNSBL │ PHP │ Tnvl  │ PHP   ║
╠═════╪═══════╪═════╪═══════╪═══════╣
║ No  │ No    │ No  │ No    │ No    ║
║ No  │ No    │ Yes │ No    │ No    ║
║ No  │ Yes   │ No  │ Yes   │ No    ║
║ No  │ Yes   │ Yes │ Yes   │ Yes   ║
║ Yes │ No    │ No  │ No    │ No    ║
║ Yes │ No    │ Yes │ No    │ No    ║
║ Yes │ Yes   │ No  │ No    │ No    ║
║ Yes │ Yes   │ Yes │ No    │ Yes   ║
╚═════╧═══════╧═════╧═══════╧═══════╝

That means Tornevall is only queried if SFS is disabled. Is that intentional? It seems to be, but it's kind of odd. Also, Tornevall doesn't have a privacy policy, so it can't possibly be GDPR-compliant.

If Stop Forum Spam is enabled, only Project Honey Pot can be queried. The DNSBL toggle is exclusively for Project Honey Pot, which doesn't seem all that intuitive. If not Project Honey Pot key is provided, then the DNSBL toggle has no effect.

Am I understanding this correctly? Is this behavior intentional?

As a side note, both Tornevall and Project Honey Pot seem to be in pretty bad shape. PHP doesn't even support login over HTTPS at the moment, which is a red flag. Stop Forum Spam appears alive and well.

SFS shares data with Tornevall so we only need to query that if SFS is disabled.

That checkbox in options by the way will disable all DNSBL checks.

Got it, thanks. The DNSBL checkbox doesn't seem to disable SFS, though I don't think XF queries that via DNS, but rather HTTP. (They do have a DNS interface, I believe.)

That's correct, the SFS integration is entirely through their HTTP API and you can only enable/disable it using the "Stop Forum Spam" option.

Top Bottom