Discourse

Semantics?

A site which works for the large majority of its users doesn't seem like semantics.

Information laid out in a way thats great for your users to find and read doesn't seem like semantics.

The ability to handle large to massive threads in some organised way doesn't seem like semantics.

Then again, I guess if a site is a hobby site and not a commerical one, such "semantics" probably don't matter. I've yet to find anyone running a large commerical forum who thinks discourse is anything but website suicide if they were to switch.

But seems your sold on it, let me know how your community does on it in 6 months time (y)

Semantics: the use of words with novel or dual meanings to achieve a desired affect on an audience.

Yes, SOE certainly isn't a large commercial entity. I'm also sure not one of the 560+ people who have forked the project, or the 3,600+ who have starred it on GitHub run a commercial site, and yes, I'm sure they probably consider it "website suicide", as well. Yeah, I can do the whole snarky thing too.

I'm not sold on anything, other than the idea that traditional forum software has stagnated, and there's room for improvement and others to give a fresh take on it. But, that point was largely lost. Like I said, I'll agree to disagree.

Discourse allows users to sign up for an account in a pop-up:

screen-capture-1.webp

I feel this is a small but important feature xenforo lacks. Being able to quickly sign up for an account removes many subtle barriers for a potential member.

They have:

As Standard, I think any modern forum should have these options as core

It is new i think, open source but it serves its purpose for a simple looking forums. I think they might implement pagination later.

One thing i like about this forum is the live replies like Disqus :) Xenforo should put this feature in mind without causing high server load.

Last edited:
I hate infinite scroll... especially on Facebook. Facebook puts the link to their Developers page on the footer... but you can never get to the footer because infinite scroll keeps pushing it away.

I would rather just have a "load more" button at the bottom.

Fugly and full of itself. It's also (IMO) taken the wrong choice, using Ruby. If you want to take on forums you need to be using PHP, simply for the fact that anyone can set a site up in minutes - it's piss easy. Ruby is not.

Well, this is the creator of StackOverflow and Stack Exchange, so there is some reputation going on for him.

Let's analyze the features, since I believe that XenForo can learn from other packages and steal/implement the best features.

Infinite Scroll

You don't like it? I kind of do. I think the navigation breaks the engagement. You could be browsing a single page, then ... as you approach the bottom, more response load in.

The main issue to solve in here is the quick reply issue, since the infinite scroll kills it. But this is easily solvable, one click on "Reply" on the post and you go to the quick reply. There is some other usability challenges but I will say that most forums would like the increased time spent into the forums.

Reply while you read

Kind of cool, in theory. But I tried vBulletin 5 at the point at which it loaded the reply box just in the post that you were at (hit reply, a box comes for you to write the reply, no need to go to any quick reply section... hit send, and .. the reply goes to the bottom .. what?)

I could never get used to it.

Replies down the page

I find this ugly. vBulletin tried this actually, remember "replies to a post", or "post comments"? What is the feature actually called? The problem is that this is enforcing a hierarchical model on a flat designed forum, and it completely breaks. It just feels .. unnatural to me. If you notify the user now you need to scroll to the comment .. inside the reply. And now there is no way to reply to that or quote it. Ugh.

Links automatically expand

This is kind of cool actually. XenForo does it with media by expanding links to youtube and other media sites. I don't see why not this could be extended to expand Wikipedia and create snippets of pages.

Real time updates

Yeah, we kind of need this. The XenForo devs need to let go the "it would be too server intensive", and just give me an AJAX call with the new content while I'm on the page.

As apps advance, we are getting used to this. Twitter puts a message (10 new replies, load them?), Facebook just keeps refreshing the News Feed. At this rate people are going to forget the refresh button exists.

Paste to share images

How do they do it? I would love if this worked flawlessly

Why, oh... why, does XenForo does NOT have this?
This is ridiculous, if they provided Facebook login might as well go all the way and implement Google and Twitter too

The login is the one thing too fragile I have trouble just using an add-on. It is way too important. If the login is messed up the whole site is messed up.

Moderation that scales with the community

I kind of like the social moderation, though I don't think most of the forums would use it. This is increasingly important as the community grows to the thousands. Finding new moderators every month is not an easy task.

.... etc

.... some things XenForo already has so I won't even discuss them
  • Remembers your place - thread read dates
  • Notifications - XenForo got them
  • Reply while you read - save draft ?
  • Search
  • Responsive design

One thing i realized, Discourse is terrible SEO wise. Google can't grab and have a cache copy of any topic made using Discourse forum and that is terrible.

Paste to share images
How do they do it? I would love if this worked flawlessly
Doesn't Xenforo 1.2 have this ? I can paste from the Windows Clipboard very easily.
Why, oh... why, does XenForo does NOT have this?
This is ridiculous, if they provided Facebook login might as well go all the way and implement Google and Twitter too
Definitely needed.

One thing i realized, Discourse is terrible SEO wise. Google can't grab and have a cache copy of any topic made using Discourse forum and that is terrible.
Is that true, though? They use a lot of AJAX, but each topic seems to have it's own URL.

I just noticed something really cool
Go to this topic: http://try.discourse.org/t/fascinating-wikipedia-articles/89

And try scrolling down, see how the URL is updated to
http://try.discourse.org/t/fascinating-wikipedia-articles/89/2
or
http://try.discourse.org/t/fascinating-wikipedia-articles/89/3

depending on the scroll position

Why does it go ... 2 ... 3 .... 6 ?

Image Handling : http://blog.discourse.org/2013/07/improved-image-handling/

It's creating a permalink to the post location. It works, you scroll to that position if you type the url. XenForo actually achieves that with the hash portion

e.g.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/discourse.44195/page-4#post-636903

or
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/discourse.44195/page-4#post-636989

But it's not the post number, but rather the post id. It's just that XenForo does not update the URL as you scroll.

separate comment, I tried the "paste image" function and it does work really nice, it gets uploaded as an attachment

That's not true. Not sure what made you think that.

Edit: For anyone that wants to check this out for themselves, you can try browsing http://bbs.boingboing.net/ (selected since it's currently the busiest Discourse forum in the wild), and try searching for some of the topics on there.

Top Bottom