Discourse

I've decided over the past few months that I am starting to hate "endless" scrolling websites. Pages seem much better to mentally track where you were in a large collection of data. Maybe I am just getting old but after trying to figure out where I am on a page after scrolling for while it reminds me of a cartoon where the character opens a scroll to read to the crowd and it hits the floor and continues rolling down the isle and out the door.

I guess you could add line numbers to everything like a code editor and instead of pages you could say "Scroll to line 10123" when telling someone where to look.

I've been keeping an eye on Discourse every now and then, and to this day I've found two forums in my niche using Discourse..

One feature I like from Discourse is the ability to toggle between Recent Posts and Categories on the home page with AJAX load. In XenForo they're on separate pages by default.

Infinite scrolling - I'm not a big fan of it in general however Discourse seems to have implemented it quite well. The post counter does update nicely on the bottom as you scroll. The page URL does change dynamically as you scroll too.

XenForo in my opinion though looks much more visually pleasing and easier to customise with a much more richer add-on community.

Top Bottom