Disable homepage link for guests?

cmeinck

I just migrated another vB site to XF. My first new user was a spammer who set up a shiny new profile pic, status update complete with a spam link in the homepage field. While signature links are easily detected, it's impossible to check every new member's account to see if they simply signed up to spam.

Is it possible to set this profile field so that only registered members see the link?

Is it possible to set it to no-follow?

Thoughts?

I'm a bit confused as to what it is you're trying to achieve with the Postings tab on profiles.

Do you want to just make them not visible to guests?
In which case you can do that with the View user profiles permission.

If you run the Spam Cleaner on the spammer and delete their content then everything on that tab will be deleted.

The trouble is with the new age spammer or "silent spam" as I call it. They sign up, fill their profile with spam links and leave. Moderators cannot detect them. I'd like to make postings always not visible to guests, which would essentially remove any benefit of link value achieved by spamming. If there are not links visible to search engines, there is no value to their efforts, so they'll likely go elsewhere.

If I set default View User Profiles permission, they could always change it back.

I'm a bit confused as to what it is you're trying to achieve with the Postings tab on profiles.

Do you want to just make them not visible to guests?
In which case you can do that with the View user profiles permission.

If you run the Spam Cleaner on the spammer and delete their content then everything on that tab for the spammer in question will be deleted.

That works, but shuts out access to members completely. Is there a way to make this profile accessible, but postings will not be visible to guests. This way, my member accounts are still accessible by guests, but links will not be accessible.

Ideally, I want to make edits, so that links do not appear to guests at all. If there is no public link, the incentive to spam is lost.

I have put some thought into this in the past, on other forum systems. I'm a war-ravaged veteran of phpBB2, which is like the Internet's version of having a "kick me" sign on my back. And you're absolutely right--that is the primary reason for spamming forums: even if a profile is up there and no posts are made, that link in their profile is indexed by Google.

I did go through and disable any links like that--I made profile available only to logged-in members, and did not show the newest member's username unless they had confirmed their email registration (one of phpBB's many flaws). I even removed the "homepage" field from the form during signups, making it available for editing only to logged-in members. I don't know how many dozens of hours I wasted trying to modify phpBB2 to improve on it.

But, it did nothing at all to stop the spam. Here's the reason: how are spammers going to know my phpBB2 forums are different from any other? They won't. They will blindly sign up and enter the information. The same will happen with XF. Spammers aren't going to know or care if we've modified our forums: all they see is the XF copyright at the bottom, and will attempt to spam it nonetheless. They don't have time to worry about any warning I might post about the spam measures in place. If it's a bot, it can't tell anyway, and the human spammers who get paid pennies in third world countries to join and post spam in forums (whether through profile homepage links, signatures or forum posts loaded with links) won't bother reading it either--it slows them down.

I still don't like having member profiles available to guests, so that is still worth securing. I am a big advocate of privacy. :)

The only thing I was able to do to stop the dozen or so spam registrations per day on each of my more popular phpBB2 forums was to institute what was called a "VIP Code" system. The code was given out on a separate page, and members had to type it in to be able to send their registration into the system. It literally stopped the bots dead in their tracks (I worked out sort of a clumsy pseudo-random system that worked), and the human registrations slowed to a trickle.

The saddest part of all of this: nothing is spam-proof anymore. Those of us who have been in the web business for over a dozen years have probably spent hundreds of billable hours playing with email filtering, combatting site spamming via forums, guestbooks and blogs, and just about anything else we can think of. A tremendous waste of time and resources. :(

For an individual profile you're going to need an add-on to do that, as presumably over time there will be other profiles you wish to block.

Or do you wish to block the Postings tab of all members for guests?

Is this any good to you?

This is the default member_view template with a guest conditional wrapped around the Postings and Information tabs content.

This was very helpful. I worked from this and modified my conditionals throughout member_view.

Here's the end result. Keep in mind, this is an example of a spammer that "I haven't found". The first image shows the current modified guest view. The following three images show all the links only seen by members.

Thanks so much for your help and your patience with me. I greatly appreciate it. Great software, supported by great support. That's a killer combo.(y)

Screen shot 2011-04-12 at 5.29.43 PM.webpScreen shot 2011-04-12 at 5.29.34 PM.webpScreen shot 2011-04-12 at 5.29.25 PM.webpScreen shot 2011-04-12 at 5.29.15 PM.webp

I've since removed my modifications, as not to restrict access to search engines. I still get bombarded with profile spam links daily. This weekend alone, one site had over 90 accounts created for this purpose.

Is it possible to make various links with profile and homepage no follow?

To be fair, spammers won't care if they're no followed. The cost of a new registration is so low, such that there's no point in trying to be "smart" about where they register. Makes it a pain as spam registrations will always happen, even though XF isn't really of any SEO benefit to them. (The links in posts are nofollow'd as well.)

I just migrated another vB site to XF. My first new user was a spammer who set up a shiny new profile pic, status update complete with a spam link in the homepage field. While signature links are easily detected, it's impossible to check every new member's account to see if they simply signed up to spam.

I got one of those !

helix.blackhatscene.com.webp

Top Bottom