XF 1.2 Direct your browser to the install directory

Connection failed. Like before.

Well, I guess I need to install some other things before I can use Xenforo.
Maybe php and mysql. Tomorrow I ll ask my hosting company.

Connection failed. Like before.

Well, I guess I need to install some other things before I can use Xenforo.
Maybe php and mysql. Tomorrow I ll ask my hosting company.
Uh... if you don't have php or mysql installed it's not going to work anyway... especially with no php.
Is this a shared hosting provider or a VPS/dedi?

I did. Put the php file to the root directory too. And it didnt work. It is VPS.
I am a totally new beginner. It must be a stupid failure of mine, I am sure but I cannot find until now what I am doing wrong.

I did. Put the php file to the root directory too. And it didnt work. It is VPS.
I am a totally new beginner. It must be a stupid failure of mine, I am sure but I cannot find until now what I am doing wrong.
Simply putting the PHP file in the directory won't cut it. you have to install the latest version of PHP on your server as well as mysql (or Percona).
Debian or centOS based VPS?

centOS.

I downloaded php to install it, just to look if that is the case, but I don't know how to install it either.
When I asked my hosting company, they said, yes yes, xenforo works fine. I thought everything is pre-installed by them. I guess this is my mistake here.
There are a lot of folders in vps directory, so I don't know what is what. Can not check anything. Totally new to this stuff.

centOS.

I downloaded php to install it, just to look if that is the case, but I don't know how to install it either.
When I asked my hosting company, they said, yes yes, xenforo works fine. I thought everything is pre-installed by them. I guess this is my mistake here.
There are a lot of folders in vps directory, so I don't know what is what. Can not check anything. Totally new to this stuff.
Not that familiar with centOS (I use Debian myself) so I'm not going to be much help. I just set up @psx's Debian server for him and I have a test bed centOS but haven't done much with it.
A VPS is not going to come configured for you (unless you have a managed one) so you will have to either learn to do it yourself or hire someone to do it for you (or hope you can find someone that will set it up for free for you).

Last edited:
Just fyi, I am just using filezilla until now. No other softwares. Maybe that's it?
I want it to do it myself, better, have no problem with it. Just I feel like an idiot. I did not inform myself correctly. Thought every server comes with standard things, you just need to upload, and thats it. Bad idea.
Before I begin with xenforo, I should get knowledge about webservers and such.

@Jeremy
Exactly I uploaded all the files in /root.
First with upload folder too in /root/myhomepage/community.
Then I thought I did a mistake, I should not upload the upload folder, just what is in it. So I cut all files in this upload folder and paste it to the /root folder.

Top Bottom