1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Direct your browser to the install directory

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by sbj, Sep 27, 2013.

1. sbj

sbj Well-Known Member

Hello,

I'm following this guide and now I'm at point 4. But it does not work.
    This is my first installation and first time using a server.
    I put all files in root directory via filezilla. Gave 0777 acces to 2 folders and now I need to install it.
    When I go to www.randomname1234.com/install it does not work, neither www.randomname1234.com
    Can you help me?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

What error does install give you?

3. sbj

sbj Well-Known Member

Nothing. There is no installpage. That is the problem. I can not get to the installpage.

4. Jeremy

Are you receiving a server error in your logs? If you right click, does it give you any type of error?

5. sbj

sbj Well-Known Member

To be honest I do not know where to find my logs. Can't tell you.

6. Jeremy

It depends on your server, but somewhere near /var/logs is a safe bet.

7. sbj

sbj Well-Known Member

There are many logfiles.

8. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

What does it do if you type in yourdomain.com/install/index.php?

9. sbj

sbj Well-Known Member

Connection failed. Like before.

Well, I guess I need to install some other things before I can use Xenforo.
    Maybe php and mysql. Tomorrow I ll ask my hosting company.

10. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Have you run the requirement test script available from the purchase page?

• XenForo System Requirements
      • PHP: 5.2.4+
      • MySQL: 5.0+
      • PHP extensions: MySQLi, GD (with JPEG support), PCRE, SPL, SimpleXML, DOM, JSON, iconv, ctype
      • PHP safe_mode off
      Download the requirements test script.

11. Tracy Perry

Uh... if you don't have php or mysql installed it's not going to work anyway... especially with no php.
    Is this a shared hosting provider or a VPS/dedi?

12. sbj

sbj Well-Known Member

I did. Put the php file to the root directory too. And it didnt work. It is VPS.
    I am a totally new beginner. It must be a stupid failure of mine, I am sure but I cannot find until now what I am doing wrong.

13. Tracy Perry

Simply putting the PHP file in the directory won't cut it. you have to install the latest version of PHP on your server as well as mysql (or Percona).
    Debian or centOS based VPS?

14. sbj

sbj Well-Known Member

centOS.

I downloaded php to install it, just to look if that is the case, but I don't know how to install it either.
    When I asked my hosting company, they said, yes yes, xenforo works fine. I thought everything is pre-installed by them. I guess this is my mistake here.
    There are a lot of folders in vps directory, so I don't know what is what. Can not check anything. Totally new to this stuff.

15. Jeremy

What is the exact path you uploaded your forum to?

16. Tracy Perry

Not that familiar with centOS (I use Debian myself) so I'm not going to be much help. I just set up @psx's Debian server for him and I have a test bed centOS but haven't done much with it.
    A VPS is not going to come configured for you (unless you have a managed one) so you will have to either learn to do it yourself or hire someone to do it for you (or hope you can find someone that will set it up for free for you).

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  17. sbj

sbj Well-Known Member

Just fyi, I am just using filezilla until now. No other softwares. Maybe that's it?
    I want it to do it myself, better, have no problem with it. Just I feel like an idiot. I did not inform myself correctly. Thought every server comes with standard things, you just need to upload, and thats it. Bad idea.
    Before I begin with xenforo, I should get knowledge about webservers and such.

@Jeremy
    Exactly I uploaded all the files in /root.
    First with upload folder too in /root/myhomepage/community.
    Then I thought I did a mistake, I should not upload the upload folder, just what is in it. So I cut all files in this upload folder and paste it to the /root folder.

18. Jeremy

You uploaded it to the wrong directory. You'll need to find your public facing directory (usually named "public_html") and upload it there.