Dillema - Whether to upgrade 2.0.x or wait for 2.1?

Neutral Singh

Well-known member
Well, its been over six months since I updated my licenses of xF to upgrade my forums to xF 2.0 and bought a few skins. However, after testing for almost 2-3 months and identifying a few essential add-ons roughly costing $300-$500 and almost ready to upgrade to xF 2.0, I read in an announcement (here):

xenforo said:
We have some pretty big plans for XenForo 2.1 and we are working hard towards it so expect some exciting updates on that in the coming months.

And I had to stall all my plans to upgrade as I am curious what are those exciting updates going to be! Are these going to make some relevant add-ons redundant or what? We have no clues yet. Any ideas what those exciting updates could be... :unsure:

I am itching to upgrade but at the same time cannot afford to spend such a huge amount to find that some of the add-ons are now part of the core in 2.1 :X3:

Please advice.
 

Forsaken

Well-known member
Well, its been over six months since I updated my licenses of xF to upgrade my forums to xF 2.0 and bought a few skins. However, after testing for almost 2-3 months and identifying a few essential add-ons roughly costing $300-$500 and almost ready to upgrade to xF 2.0, I read in an announcement (here):



And I had to stall all my plans to upgrade as I am curious what are those exciting updates going to be! Are these going to make some relevant add-ons redundant or what? We have no clues yet. Any ideas what those exciting updates could be... :unsure:

I am itching to upgrade but at the same time cannot afford to spend such a huge amount to find that some of the add-ons are now part of the core in 2.1 :X3:

Please advice.
"Exciting updates" -> news, not actual software updates probably.
 

Neutral Singh

Well-known member
xenforo said:
We have some pretty big plans for XenForo 2.1 and we are working hard towards it so expect some exciting updates on that in the coming months.

And, the curiosity still remains... What then "big plans" translates into, for a layman... How 2.1 would be different from 2.0? :unsure:
 

Martok

Well-known member
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oh well, now, the plot thickens! So, it was definitely worth waiting for 2.1 before upgrading!
It really depends on what add-ons you are using. If they are essential to your site and there are no XF 2.0 compatible versions of these add-ons, then yes you should wait. Though you may still find that once 2.1 is announced, the features that you want aren't part of what is being added, in which case you will be waiting until 2.2 or possibly even later versions. However, if you can live without the add-ons, or there are versions already available for 2.0 then you could upgrade now.
 

Forsaken

Well-known member
They could... and they could not. You'll know once they start being announced. I know with IPS 4.2/3 it eliminated some add-ons. Hazard of doing business.
A lot of add-ons that get added as core functionality are made to fill the void, or have additional features on top of what is added to the core.
 

Tracy Perry

Well-known member
A lot of add-ons that get added as core functionality are made to fill the void, or have additional features on top of what is added to the core.
Yep, and some of those can directly interfere when added to the core functionality of XenForo. I remember a certain deal with smilies and the DB table entry names not following suggested formatting. :p
I just renewed my XF support... not because I'm going to XF 2, but because I use Recaptcha and support for it is being dropped and needed the newest one.
 

Wildcat Media

Well-known member
I'm only waiting for an important add-on (for us) to get out of beta before we can upgrade to 2.0. But I don't hold off for future XF versions otherwise. Two or three months waiting for a future point release means two or three months I could have been using the current version.
 

Tracy Perry

Well-known member
I'm only waiting for an important add-on (for us) to get out of beta before we can upgrade to 2.0. But I don't hold off for future XF versions otherwise. Two or three months waiting for a future point release means two or three months I could have been using the current version.
Once ShowCase is compatible with 2.x then I'll be upgrading most likely... but I REALLY am looking hard at IPS due to their clubs feature. For the site type it is, clubs makes perfect sense, especially with each club able to have their own calendar.

Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 10.19.54 PM.png
 
Top