[DigitalPoint] PWA

[DigitalPoint] PWA 1.2.3

No permission to download
Is anyone having the issue where you fat finger while making a reply and it takes you elsewhere (such as a members profile page) and you have no way to get back to the reply screen? I end up have to close the site and re-enter and navigate back to the thread I was responding to. That’s the only negative using the app I have found.

Is anyone having the issue where you fat finger while making a reply and it takes you elsewhere (such as a members profile page) and you have no way to get back to the reply screen? I end up have to close the site and re-enter and navigate back to the thread I was responding to. That’s the only negative using the app I have found.
This addon shouldn't affect that at all.

That being said, swiping can be used as a "back" and there's also a back button at the bottom of the screen that shows up that works too.

See:

I just discovered that swiping works but thanks. Can’t believe we hadn’t figured that out before now. Can’t view the back arrow I assume because our chatrooms app occupies that space. Actually, even without the chat enabled I don’t see a back button
of any kind, at least not my iPhone.

@digitalpoint What do you think it would take to make it so that guests can also sign up for push notifications? Obviously this would not be for account related notifications, but it would be extremely useful to be able to subscribe viewers who are coming onto the site briefly off of Google, and to then be able to manually send them push notifications with a link to an interesting thread here and there, in order to encourage them to come back on the site.

We used to run our Blog on Wordpress and we used OneSignal to subscribe viewers. We had something like 40k subscribers eventually and we were able to drive a ton of traffic this way. XenForo needs a way to subscribe guests.

What do you think it would take to make it so that guests can also sign up for push notifications?
It would need a lot of internal changes to XenForo because the push subscriptions are stored by user ID (which guests don’t have).

Besides the fact it would take a complete rework of how XenForo’s push notification system works, I doubt we would ever see it. At the end of the day what purpose would it really serve? Just a way to spam people that didn’t like the site enough to register for an account about things that isn’t relevant to them (blasting out a push notification to 40k unregistered users about a random thread is literally the definition of spam, imo). So if it was up to me, a feature like that wouldn’t make its way to XenForo core. Maybe useful for some vertical market that I’m not aware of, but I can’t personally think of any site that I didn’t want an account at, but I did want them to send me push notifications about stuff not relevant to me.

It would need a lot of internal changes to XenForo because the push subscriptions are stored by user ID (which guests don’t have).

Besides the fact it would take a complete rework of how XenForo’s push notification system works, I doubt we would ever see it. At the end of the day what purpose would it really serve? Just a way to spam people that didn’t like the site enough to register for an account about things that isn’t relevant to them (blasting out a push notification to 40k unregistered users about a random thread is literally the definition of spam, imo). So if it was up to me, a feature like that wouldn’t make its way to XenForo core. Maybe useful for some vertical market that I’m not aware of, but I can’t personally think of any site that I didn’t want an account at, but I did want them to send me push notifications about stuff not relevant to me.
Thanks for your response. When we used to use it, we were clear about what they were signing up for: "Want to get notified about new blog posts?". So users who signed up generally at least had interest in that at some point. We would do the same and I an confident it would provide us, and other site owners, value. We derived great value from it, bringing back users who otherwise forgot who we were. I do understand some of the points you make, but they are not how I would describe our scenario.

Ya, it probably makes more sense for a blog where the site has readers that come back on a regular basis without registering. That definitely makes more sense to me.

Ya, it probably makes more sense for a blog where the site has readers that come back on a regular basis without registering. That definitely makes more sense to me.
Yes, and we run a blog where we highlight the best threads on the site. We used to run this in WP, now we do it within XF.

@digitalpoint is there any way to show an avatar for the user when they receive a push notification? I have tested it but currently it only shows a "W" generic avatar. Wondering if I missed something.

@digitalpoint

We currently use this addon for live conversation and alert counter updates.

Automatic refresh of badge counters when app is loaded/brought to front (this also applies to the site when being used in a normal browser)

Does this mean we no longer need that addon (for any devices)?

For those of us who are not very tech savvy - I have your add-on installed and working great on 2.3. What is the benefit of doing this latest update?

I am on version 2.3 without issues, so that's why I asked if there were any real benefit to updating (or downside to not)...

Yes. I visited this thread courtesy of my flux capacitor. Sorry about that! Been reading up on 2.3 so much, it must be imprinted on my brain.

Nevermind :)

gilda radner snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

but does this application only need to be installed or are there options to configure it somewhere?

Top Bottom