[DigitalPoint] Better Google Analytics

[DigitalPoint] Better Google Analytics 1.0.10

No permission to download
Sometimes, it can be a simple as a moment of internet connection failure and things like that happen.

Thanks for bringing this most needed addon for free.

digitalpoint updated [DigitalPoint] Better Google Analytics with a new update entry:

Adds support for XenForo's cookie consent system

This version has nothing added other than support for XenForo's new cookie consent system. If you are using a version of XenForo prior 2.2.12, it has no effect. There's also no effect if you aren't using the new cookie consent system.

The only situation where this update would be needed is if you are using XenForo 2.2.12+ and you are using the new Advanced (Beta) cookie consent option.

Read the rest of this update entry...

I am getting this error when clicking on "Client side errors"

Code:
InvalidArgumentException: Please remove pageLocation to make the request compatible. The request's dimensions & metrics are incompatible. To learn more, see https://ga-dev-tools.web.app/ga4/dimensions-metrics-explorer/ in src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/GoogleApi/AbstractApi.php at line 31
DigitalPoint\Analytics\GoogleApi\AbstractApi->makeApiCall() in src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/GoogleApi/Data.php at line 15
DigitalPoint\Analytics\GoogleApi\Data->runReport() in src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/Repository/Reporting.php at line 159
DigitalPoint\Analytics\Repository\Reporting->runReport() in src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/Repository/Reporting.php at line 524
DigitalPoint\Analytics\Repository\Reporting->getExceptions() in src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/Admin/Controller/Analytics.php at line 156
DigitalPoint\Analytics\Admin\Controller\Analytics->actionExceptions() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 352
XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 259
XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchFromMatch() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 115
XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 57
XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run() in src/XF/App.php at line 2483
XF\App->run() in src/XF.php at line 524
XF::runApp() in admin.php at line 13

It looks like the issue with pageLocation has already been reported to Google via their Google Analytics issue/bug tracker by others. There's nothing in the reporting change log that happened since it stopped working, and the API documentation still says it should work. I think we are probably just going to have to wait until Google fixes the reporting issue on that one. :(

From the little bit of testing I did, it appears pageLocation stopped working in conjunction with any other dimensions. Which would make it more or less useless for anything until they fix it.

Do the logs update daily? Looks like GA4 data started rolling in at 11PM last night but I show nothing for today.

The data from Google Analytics should be as realtime as you can see in the normal Google Analytics reporting interface on their website. Is there a specific report you are talking about that you see something in the normal GA reporting interface, but you aren't seeing in XF admin?

Google Analytics shows 9.9K page-views today but that number is really lower considering I have been in the 140K range. The only thing that seems right is the real time users.
Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 2.41.44 PM.webp
Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 2.40.59 PM.webp

Well you can't really compare UA with GA4 if that's what you are trying to do. What I meant by reporting matching is it should match between the same property in XF admin and Google Analytics' interface. It looks like you are comparing a GA4 property in XF admin and a UA property in Google Analytics' interface. If you look at the property in Google Analytics, do the pageviews match there (again, the GA4 property in Google Analytics, not a UA property). This add-on doesn't do anything with UA properties and definitely can't report on data from a UA property.

Well you can't really compare UA with GA4 if that's what you are trying to do. What I meant by reporting matching is it should match between the same property in XF admin and Google Analytics' interface. It looks like you are comparing a GA4 property in XF admin and a UA property in Google Analytics' interface. If you look at the property in Google Analytics, do the pageviews match there (again, the GA4 property in Google Analytics, not a UA property). This add-on doesn't do anything with UA properties and definitely can't report on data from a UA property.
I am still getting use to GA4 (switched yesterday) and thus far I don't fully understand how to pull comparable data.

The report below shows 9.9k page view events today This number has not changed in hours, despite is showing 4,845 events in the last 30 mins. The real-time screenshot above looks correct.

My point with showing UA is that the data appears off. How would I consistently have 600 - 700 users online but only 9.9K page views (which hasn't changed in hours). Why would this add-on show 663 users online in real time but no page views?

Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 3.41.29 PM.webp

Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 3.44.24 PM.webp

If it's a brand new GA4 property, it can take 24-48 hours for data to show up in reports. If you are seeing data under the realtime report, I think it's safe to say that Google is properly receiving data from your property (which is the most important thing). And if it's a new property, give it a day or two before the reports start looking more normal.

If it's a brand new GA4 property, it can take 24-48 hours for data to show up in reports. If you are seeing data under the realtime report, I think it's safe to say that Google is property receiving data from your property (which is the most important thing). And if it's a new property, give it a day or two before the reports start looking more normal.
Thanks, i will do that.

digitalpoint updated [DigitalPoint] Better Google Analytics with a new update entry:

Fix for exception reporting

• Fixed issue with compatibility with old versions of PHP.
  • Requires PHP 7.0 or higher (just getting too annoying/difficult to maintain backward compatibility with very old versions of PHP on old versions of XenForo).
  • Exception reporting works again by changing pageLocation dimension to pagePath (Google seems to not allow reporting on URLs with full query string any longer... maybe a privacy thing?)

Read the rest of this update entry...

Only a few hours in, and I only finished setting up GA4 on our site last night, so of course we're waiting a few more days to let everything else fill in, but the basics couldn't have gone more smoothly! Data already coming in, and so far, so good.

My question is how to troubleshoot installation in themes. We've got the default XF theme and a customized child, as well as another, unrelated theme. The analytics link graphic is showing up in those three, but not in the themes we're building out based on UI.X2. Otherwise, latest stable versions of everything (PHP, XF, etc.).

Do I need to do anything specific to enable Better Analytics in a theme? I'm happy to tell you anything else you need to know, or give you access to anything you need. Or if you could point me to where I need to look in my site or theme settings, I'll be happy to. I'm just stumped!

btw, I just left you a 5-star review for this. I'm a stats nerd, and everything about this marvelous add-on is making me happy! I just need it in the rest of my themes. More themes coming to, so any help learning what to watch out for will help us down the road as well!

Regards,
Tim

Is it a problem with tracking in the theme or the admin/reporting side of things?

For the tracking side of things, there are a few template modifications it does, so if the theme's internal structure changed substantially, it might not be able to find things to key on to modify. If you go into Admin -> Appearance -> Template Modifications, the numbers on the right tell you if something is not finding what's expected. Specifically, all the Better Analytics template modifications for public templates should have a green 1 next to all of them, except one has 2.

If you have any other numbers in your setup/theme, that's going to be a good place to start looking at what's going on with that template.

1676347828729.webp

Is it a problem with tracking in the theme or the admin/reporting side of things?

For the tracking side of things, there are a few template modifications it does, so if the theme's internal structure changed substantially, it might not be able to find things to key on to modify. If you go into Admin -> Appearance -> Template Modifications, the numbers on the right tell you if something is not finding what's expected. Specifically, all the Better Analytics template modifications for public templates should have a green 1 next to all of them, except one has 2.

If you have any other numbers in your setup/theme, that's going to be a good place to start looking at what's going on with that template.

View attachment 281542

Exactly the answer I need to get started! Thanks so much! I'll let you know if I have further questions after my digging! 😁

Specifically, all the Better Analytics template modifications for public templates should have a green 1 next to all of them, except one has 2.

I've now had a chance to look at our numbers, and wow, we're not even close! One obvious place to start is the second Page Container parameter, since that's the one that adds the missing button.

BGA current UU setup.webp

I had hoped that it would be as easy as clicking on the 3 and setting it to 1, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Or am I missing something? The XF docs don't mention this.

When I clicked on the second PAGE_CONTAINER to edit it, I didn't see a 3 anywhere there that I could just reset to 1, either. The one parameter that jumped out to me was Execution Order set to 1000. Is that right?

I apologize if this is remedial admin stuff that I should already know, but I'm not seeing anything here that's an obvious way to get from the 3 showing in our panel to the 1 it should be. I'd love any more guidance you can offer!

Thanks again,
Tim

Ya, it's not going to be as simple as that unfortunately. In that particular example, the template modification is using a regular expression to find the string, base_url('admin.php') followed by p-staffBar-link followed by </a>

...normally the PAGE_CONTAINER template only has one of those (for the Admin link in the staffBar header), but from the looks of it, yours has 3.

If you want to send me the template privately via conversation, I could have a look at it and see if there might be something else that could be keyed on that would work in it as well as the XenForo default style.

Top Bottom