[DigitalPoint] Better Google Analytics

[DigitalPoint] Better Google Analytics 1.0.10

No permission to download
Wouldn’t be that hard I suppose, but do you really want it for all admins or is it for just you personally and you happen to be the only admin? Like if you had other admins, you would want them excluded?

Google Analytics has the ability to filter data out by almost anything already, so you could filter out data for just your user ID as an example.
Yeah I'm the only admin, so in my case it would be just for me :D

Would it be possible to show this as a widget for some user groups? Or it appears only in the backend (admin area) with no options for users to see it?

Would it be possible to show this as a widget for some user groups? Or it appears only in the backend (admin area) with no options for users to see it?
+1. I find this idea very interesting and useful.

Alternatively, since the graphs are large and consume more screen area, front end analytics page can be done through a separate page that is accessible by per group or user level permissions. Maybe that page can also be linked as a dropdown item to the Moderator tools menu.

My gut says it’s probably best left for admins. I’d think that a user that has moderator but not admin privileges probably isn’t going to be granted access to Google Analytics data for the site. Definitely feels more like an admin thing (and even then only sometimes), vs a moderator thing.

That being said, Google Analytics has the ability to grant someone read-only access to a particular property if they need to do reporting. Sounds like that route might be the better option if you really have a user that you don’t want to be an admin, but you want to give them all your Analytics data for some reason.

Last edited:
What if we don't have multiple admins? In our forum structure, we have only 1 admin and many moderators, and allowing them a partial view of our google analytics wouldn't harm as we have trusted people in such group.

Thank you

What if we don't have multiple admins? In our forum structure, we have only 1 admin and many moderators, and allowing them a partial view of our google analytics wouldn't harm as we have trusted people in such group.

Thank you
Like I mentioned previously, Google Analytics access for moderators is best done with Google’s built-in option where you can give read-only access to a particular property to anyone you like.

There are no plans on my end to build an Analytics charting/reporting interface outside of the admin area. I still don’t see a use case where someone shouldn’t be an admin, but should have access to Google Analytics data.

There are tons of things in XenForo’s admin area you may want to give a moderator access to just that one thing, but XenForo is setup so admins and moderators have different roles/interface. And in this case, I still think Google Analytics data is better suited in the admin area vs. front-end moderator area.

In case I use the AMPXF addon, I just need to re-entered the tracking ID in the AMPXF add-on right? as don't see tracking code for AMPXF? Should I use same tracking code or creat another property just for AMP version.

If the AMPXF is handling it for Amp pages, I imagine you would keep using whatever it’s doing for it’s Amp pages (this add-on doesn’t do anything related to Amp).

We just tried to install this on Xenforo 2.2.10, on a forum that previously had Digital Point Better Analytics 3.1.1 installed when it was still on Xenforo 1. After uploading files, the new addon doesn't show up in the list for install or upgrade. Instead, we can see this in the list of legacy addons.
1657948425196.webp
Trying to install/upgrade via the command line returns the following

Code:
php cmd.php xf:addon-install DigitalPoint/Analytics
This add-on is already installed. Please upgrade it instead.

php cmd.php xf:addon-upgrade DigitalPoint/Analytics
This add-on cannot be upgraded.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Hmmm… haven’t seen that one myself. Are you able to “uninstall” the old one somehow even though it doesn’t run on XF2?

Sort of. I'm given to understand that uninstalling legacy add-ons may leave orphaned database tables and or schema changes. When Xenforo first went to 2.0, they seemed to suggest it would be possible for addon authors to go back and provide updates to their old addons while retaining the data from the 1.0 versions, but I'm not sure how easy it would be at this point for your installer/upgrader to identify the old settings and remove anything that's long superceeded or no longer needed.
Did you get this sorted out by chance? Trying to dig into it on this end to see if I can replicate it.

I think I figured out what is going on. An easy workaround for you would be to run this SQL query:
SQL:
DELETE FROM xf_addon WHERE addon_id = 'dpBetterAnalytics';

That will delete the entry for the XF1 version in the add-on table (it's not needed).

Going forward it should be sorted out in the next version automatically.

We'll probably end up waiting until the next version, but glad to hear it's such an easy workaround. I presume that means that the data from the old addon was useless and unnecessary?

Thanks for the add-on!

Where can I see this one? I can't figure this one out.
A few different places...

Heatmap
XF Admin -> Logs -> Weekly heat map (set metric to "Email read" or "Email sent")

Chart
XF Admin -> Logs -> Charts (set dimension to "Event name")

If you want to drill down through the normal Google Analytics interface via the Explore tab (or other methods of reporting), the event names are "email_sent" and "email_read".

Also, I just noticed an issue when logging email_sent and email_read events. Has to do with the events not always getting sent on the backend via the measurement protocol if you are also tracking events by user ID. I believe it's sorted, but want to make sure that they show up properly tomorrow in the normal Google Analytics reports to be 100% certain.

So just FYI, if you are tracking events by user ID, and you are looking for the email_sent/email_read events on reports, it probably is going to look like incomplete data right now.

Top Bottom