[DigitalPoint] Better Google Analytics

[DigitalPoint] Better Google Analytics 1.0.10

No permission to download
Okay, so let's test if a new browser window is losing your session cookie or something. If you go into Admin area, edit any random user and scroll down to their "User State" section. In the explanation, there's a link for "Unregistered / Unconfirmed". If you click that, it opens a new window. At that point is it asking you log-in again? It should just show normally in a new window (without a login prompt).

1655391679735.webp

If your browser is deleting cookies in a new browser window (or more importantly you are losing your XenForo session in a new browser window), I suppose what you could try is once you are returned from the permission thing and you get the error, take the URL you are at (the one with the code=xxxx in the URL) and paste that as the URL in the browser window that you are still logged into XenForo admin. At that point the code should still be valid since it wasn't able to redeem it for an access token yet.

digitalpoint updated [DigitalPoint] Better Google Analytics with a new update entry:

Adds filtering to charts

• Using XenForo's filter system to allow users to remove URI from URI-specific chart (when viewing chart from icon in staff bar).
  • Chart icon link in staff bar will give a thread-specific chart when viewing a thread.
  • Chart icon link in staff bar will give a user-specific chart when viewing a member profile.
  • Raised execution order of template modification that adds to staff bar (helps with compatibility with other add-ons).
The thread filtering allows you to generate...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Thanks for the great addon and your active development in improving it even further! (y)

Is there a way to use your addon but implement GA4 using Google Tag Manager by sending the events to the Tag Manager first instead of GA4 directly? Thanks!

Well, there would be a lot of things that would need to change, and to be honest, not sure I really want to go down that road. Some things off the top of my head:
  • All the underlying JavaScript would need to change (actually it would need to be different and maintained for both ways based on if you are using Google Analytics directly, or Tag Manager), it's not as simple as swapping the measurement ID for a container ID as Google Tag Manager doesn't use gtag() calls for sending events.
  • The add-on uses the Google Analytics Admin API for things like selecting (and creating) things like properties, data streams, etc. So it would require:
    • Building Google Tag Manager API classes
    • Going through annoying review process by Google for use of additional APIs (Google Tag Manager). We already went through this so people can use Google Analytics APIs via OAuth2 (so people don't need to set up their own projects). Not sure I want to go through all that again so Google can "bless" the use of Google Tag Manager APIs via OAuth2.
  • I feel like it would also add unavoidable confusion for people not using Google Tag Manager which becomes a support issue for me. Like why are they authorizing access to Google Tag Manager on their account when they do the OAuth2 permission request? Do they need to create a Google Tag Manager account or not? Most people don't even know what Google Tag Manager is, so throwing that into the mix for most people that just want to use Google Analytics becomes confusing for people.
It seems to me it would be better suited as a completely different add-on vs. one that is specific to Google Analytics so you aren't trying to maintain everything about what are really two completely different systems in a single thing and causing confusion for people.

Thinking of installing this. GA4 is a nightmare interface and I don't understand it at all. Old analytics was VERY intuitive.

Besides what's been posted already (I've been reading thread) any other tips and tricks for getting this set up correctly that hasn't been mentioned?

Just need to have a Google Analytics account. If you have that, you shouldn’t even need to go into the GA interface for anything.

Just need to have a Google Analytics account. If you have that, you shouldn’t even need to go into the GA interface for anything.
That I have. :)

Also - what is php sodium and why is it recommended? (I'm still a server newb even though I've been running a forum forever)

That I have. :)

Also - what is php sodium and why is it recommended? (I'm still a server newb even though I've been running a forum forever)
It’s used to encrypt email subjects if you are using the option to track if emails are being read. If you don’t have sodium, it will still work, it will fallback to not encrypting them.

Getting this while selecting "Organic Google Search clicks"

InvalidArgumentException: Search Console fields require an active link to be used. in src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/GoogleApi/AbstractApi.php at line 23
  1. DigitalPoint\Analytics\GoogleApi\AbstractApi->makeApiCall() in src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/GoogleApi/Data.php at line 16
  2. DigitalPoint\Analytics\GoogleApi\Data->runReport() in src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/Repository/Reporting.php at line 159
  3. DigitalPoint\Analytics\Repository\Reporting->runReport() in src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/Repository/Reporting.php at line 285
  4. DigitalPoint\Analytics\Repository\Reporting->getChart() in src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/Admin/Controller/Analytics.php at line 87
  5. DigitalPoint\Analytics\Admin\Controller\Analytics->actionCharts() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 352
  6. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 259
  7. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchFromMatch() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 115
  8. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 57
  9. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run() in src/XF/App.php at line 2352
  10. XF\App->run() in src/XF.php at line 524
  11. XF::runApp() in admin.php at line 13

Are these all things that'll show up as events on the GA site now that I've installed it?

Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 4.02.52 PM.png

And if I track user groups (like I selected) - where do I see that info? On GA site?

I'm presuming it'll take a while for this information to be gathered.

Ya, there's no way around that... the Organic Google dimensions require an active link to your Google Search Console property in order to report on them (the data comes from the Search Console, not Google Analytics directly).

In your Google Analytics settings, you can go to your property settings, then under "Product Links", there's an option for "Search Console Links".

Getting this while selecting "Organic Google Search clicks"

InvalidArgumentException: Search Console fields require an active link to be used. in src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/GoogleApi/AbstractApi.php at line 23
  1. DigitalPoint\Analytics\GoogleApi\AbstractApi->makeApiCall() in src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/GoogleApi/Data.php at line 16
  2. DigitalPoint\Analytics\GoogleApi\Data->runReport() in src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/Repository/Reporting.php at line 159
  3. DigitalPoint\Analytics\Repository\Reporting->runReport() in src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/Repository/Reporting.php at line 285
  4. DigitalPoint\Analytics\Repository\Reporting->getChart() in src/addons/DigitalPoint/Analytics/Admin/Controller/Analytics.php at line 87
  5. DigitalPoint\Analytics\Admin\Controller\Analytics->actionCharts() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 352
  6. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 259
  7. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchFromMatch() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 115
  8. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 57
  9. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run() in src/XF/App.php at line 2352
  10. XF\App->run() in src/XF.php at line 524
  11. XF::runApp() in admin.php at line 13
Added Search Console link but still getting error. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong though so I'll double check.

I noticed I've been getting "exception" events since installing.

Screenshot_20220619-084921.webp

Do you know if that's a server error? (I haven't been coming across any) or if it's something like you need to be logged in to see the user profile pages. (Which is the case on my site)

I noticed I've been getting "exception" events since installing.

View attachment 269870

Do you know if that's a server error? (I haven't been coming across any) or if it's something like you need to be logged in to see the user profile pages. (Which is the case on my site)
They are client-side errors. You can disable it logging exception events if you disable the Client-side errors option. Personally, I find it useful to know if there are client-side errors happening, but if you don't, it's just a check-box. Disabling it doesn't stop client-side errors with your site, it simply doesn't let you know (which is why you didn't see them before the add-on).

In the XF admin area, if you go to Logs -> Client-side errors, you should get some info about what they are in more detail.

They are client-side errors. You can disable it logging exception events if you disable the Client-side errors option. Personally, I find it useful to know if there are client-side errors happening, but if you don't, it's just a check-box. Disabling it doesn't stop client-side errors with your site, it simply doesn't let you know (which is why you didn't see them before the add-on).

In the XF admin area, if you go to Logs -> Client-side errors, you should get some info about what they are in more detail.
Interesting. Seems to mostly be outside images not loading.

Top Bottom