XF 1.1 Different domain, different layout?

DaveL

I read Mikes post stating that if you hide content based on which domain a guest enters your site from then you will require two licences, which is totally understandable.

However, If I have the content displayed differently based on which domain they access from, would that require two licences?

EG:

Playstation.com displays
- Playstation
- Xbox
- Other

Xbox.com displays
- Xbox
- Playstation
- Other

All content is visable, nothing is hidden, its just that its displayed in a different order.

Hope that makes sense!

It's quite simple.

If a site looks like it's not the same site as the other one, it sound likes it's two sites. As if you are running two instances. Ergo; requiring two licenses.

EULA states:
Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement and the payment by You of the applicable fee for the Software, XenForo Limited grants You a limited, non-exclusive, worldwide license to install, download and use a single instance of the Software ("License") through a single installation. Each License may run one instance of the Software, accessible via one URL. Any attempt to circumvent this limitation is prohibited and will result in the License being revoked.

If you want to basically run two sites, and are finding a way to do this on just once license, I think you already know you might / should perhaps invest in a second license.

If you have two licenses, you can just point each to a domain, that the files and database (the behind the scenes stuff) are actually from one set of files, that shouldn't matter. And helps you achieve your goal.

I've run the wetalk network on 15+ vBulletin instances a few years ago on 3.6 when it was still a worth market leader and did exactly that. Pointed instances to domains. The domains was 1 instance of vBulletin. And each domain had the same announcement, feedback, and offtopic forums. But the 'content' for each topic was different. The header and style was different (though consistencies). So a user signing up on the site had access to the topic of interest for their site. Anyway, I invested in a few secondhand and new licenses to achieve that, but it was x licenses for 1 instance for the same x domains.

That said, if XenForo Limited allows your setup, I would love to know.
I can sell my other licenses and run all my sites on one setup.

One license can only be associated with a single URL, so what you're proposing would require two licenses.

That was paraphrasing a comment from Mike.

One license can only be associated with a single URL, so what you're proposing would require two licenses.

That was paraphrasing a comment from Mike.

Really? Two different domains pointing to the same installation of Xenforo?

This is what mike said:
Note that while just changing the logo based on the domain is fine, if you hide content (to make it look like 2 individual forums), you would need 2 licenses for that.

In this thread.

That impies to me that its ok to have different domains pointing to your installation.

My question is, is that if its ok to have a different header logo based on the domain someone entered your site from, then is it ok to display the content in a different way. No content would be hidden, it would have exactly the same forums/sub forums - Just in a different order.

It's quite simple.

If you want to basically run two sites, and are finding a way to do this on just once license, I think you already know you might / should perhaps invest in a second license.

I dont want to run two sites, I want to run one site with all the same content, same members - Just vary the layout basedon how someone enters the site.

So, if I go to the site xbox-example.com, I see an xbox themed site, with xbox logo, xbox domain, xbox header/footer, and xbox forums at the top, but the other forums below it, thinking it's an xbox site. But when I go there as playstation-example.com, I see it ps themed, logo, etc, with playstation forums at the top, and the other forums below it?
I understand it's the same content, but it feels grey area. As end-user they're two different sites for me.

Kinda like running admin-example.com with admin-theme with admin-forums at the top, vs xenfans.com with xenforo forums at the top and xenfans theme. Same content, two different sites.

Looking forward to never having to buy a license again! (not spending money is yay, but sure, sucks for XFL)

So one domain will be permanently redirected to the other?
No, this is not a domain redirect from what I understand.
What I understand is that typing in location bar xbox-example.com doesn't change to playstation-example.com, but remains xbox-example.com And typing playstation-example.com in the location bar remains playstation-example.com

If it's "just" a domain redirect or forward or alias .. the end result is the same domain in the location bar.

Either way though, it shouldn't make a difference.

Yup. I have my main domain with xenforo installed.

Say my site is LondonChat.com, however I know want to incorperate Kent. My site currently looks like this:

London Chat
Kent Chat
New Members
Off Topic

I then go and purchase the domain KentChat.com. When someone comes to my site via that domain, I want it to then display as:

Kent Chat
London Chat
New Members
Off Topic

KentChat.com will redirect to LondonChat.com - However the forum will detect which domain that person came from and display the correct layout.

Hope that makes sense :confused:

So, if I go to the site xbox-example.com, I see an xbox themed site, with xbox logo, xbox domain, xbox header/footer, and xbox forums at the top, but the other forums below it, thinking it's an xbox site. But when I go there as playstation-example.com, I see it ps themed, logo, etc, with playstation forums at the top, and the other forums below it?
I understand it's the same content, but it feels grey area. As end-user they're two different sites for me.

Kinda like running admin-example.com with admin-theme with admin-forums at the top, vs xenfans.com with xenforo forums at the top and xenfans theme. Same content, two different sites.

Looking forward to never having to buy a license again! (not spending money is yay, but sure, sucks for XFL)

You really are blowing things out of proportion here. No offense, but can you stop making up answers that are not correct or relevant to this thread? Im trying to get a rightful answer from someone in authority, however your just making things more confusing.

I never mentioned theme or logo anywhere at all in this thread. It would have the same theme and same logo, just different layout of content.

Please submit a ticket so the specific implementation can be evaluated.

In cases such as this, there's a fine line between acceptable and not acceptable, so each case has to be handled separately.

Couldnt that be achieved based on some kind of <xen:if> statement?

I thought I would find out whether it was acceptable first, if it is I would then have a look for a custom coder to see if possible at all.

Couldnt that be achieved based on some kind of <xen:if> statement?

I thought I would find out whether it was acceptable first, if it is I would then have a look for a custom coder to see if possible at all.
Sorry for going completely off topic, completely being irrelevant, and completely out of line for replying to a public thread in a public forum, but I've tested this 30 minutes ago with a test setup and got a working version of running 5 domains for 1 xenforo instance, including re-ordering forums.

Was looking forward to an answer to your question. Didn't mean to interrupt.
Best of luck dave with your multiple domains to one instance to show a different experience to the end-user.

In my defense, I was making up "answers", but they were "examples" to try and get a situation clarified as it differs for everybody. I was trying to think along with you - not go up against you. Offense taken.

Im sure you have Floris, your a pretty clued up bloke when it comes to coding. If it is acceptable then im sure I can find help elsewhere, even if it costs a few pounds.

My point was, I was trying to ask a serious questions and your filling the thread with examples that were not relevant. I want to make sure I get an answer based on the correct facts, not an answer that has been based on confused information.

Just for everyones information, I put my example in a support ticket and got the following reply.

I think I understand it. It actually sounds like the install is only going to be on one domain, as you mention the "redirect" to DoverLocals.co.uk. As such, I think that should be ok. Obviously we don't want you to get into hiding content to make it appear to be separate forums when there's really only one installation (without a license per), but I don't think you're doing that.

Duplicate content on multiple domains is something Google does not like:

However, in some cases, content is deliberately duplicated across domains in an attempt to manipulate search engine rankings or win more traffic. Deceptive practices like this can result in a poor user experience, when a visitor sees substantially the same content repeated within a set of search results.

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=66359&&hl=en

domain 2 will redirect to domain 1 though, so google wont see any duplicate content.

Eg:

Someone types in KentChat.com, they will be redirected LondonChat.com, but it will show a different layout as opposed to going direct to LondonChat.com

Top Bottom