XF 1.5 Difference between New Threads and New Messages when watching a forum?

iaresee

Now that I'm confident email is operating well for my site again, I'm trying to figure out the best way to replace a listserv list with a forum in Xenforo.

I'd like to recommend everyone on the private list watch a new, private forum. But the options aren't operating the way I'd expect. I see:

Screen Shot 2015-12-06 at 8.51.52 PM.webp

I would expect that New Threads would email me every time a new thread was created in the forum. And that appears to be the case. And New Message would email me every time a new message was posted to any thread in the forum. So, New Threads would be a subset of New Messages.

This doesn't appear to be the case. New Threads is functioning as expected, but email alerts for New Messages are really sporadic. I'm trying to figure out the rules Xenforo uses when deciding whether to send an email when using New Messages.

Let's say I'm watching a forum. I'm subscribed with New Messages. There's one existing thread that was there before I last visited. Before I visit the forum again, someone creates a new thread in the forum, someone posts to this new thread and someone posts to the existing thread that was there already.

What should I expect in terms of emails in that case above? Three emails? One for each bit of new content?

Thanks!

The notifications for new messages are once per visit. For example:

1) View a watched thread. Read all of its posts. Close the window or log off.

2) You will receive one email for the next new post in that thread.

3) You will not receive any more emails until you read the thread again.

Top Bottom