Fixed deleting a forum doesn't delete its threads

I can see that Brogan, but the OP was dated in December, with that timeframe, it doesn't fill me with confidence of it being fixed any time soon :unsure:

Hence my surprise it hadn't already been fixed, I'd have thought it was pretty important, tbh... :coffee:

Not as important as Notices, Thread Prefixes, Warning system and all the other features that people have been clamouring for.

Not as important as Notices, Thread Prefixes, Warning system and all the other features that people have been clamouring for.

I think this is not a feature like the ones you mentioned above. This is a bug. That is why this in the bug reports forum, not suggestions forum. When you delete a forum there shouldn't be orphan threads in the database.

...With 1.1 you'll get people with large board migrating over and its a great opportunity to do some tidying up (as I'm doing)...
While this should absolutely be implemented, in the meantime a practical solution would be to clean up before import.

While this should absolutely be implemented, in the meantime a practical solution would be to clean up before import.

I appreciate that and that is what I will have to do and in alot of ways it makes sense to do that anyway. But the point still remains, its a bug and a bug that imo, should have been fixed months ago.

I hope they'll find a nice way for this, which can also be used for add-ons(something like a jobqueue?? )

There are several places, where i would need something similar but where i'm also running into memory exhaused problems if there are too many data to delete/manipulate

Brogan,

Understood, however I personally think it's incredible that something so simple and key in a "forum" core offering isnt there. It's causing me real issues now, and costing me £££ since i cant downsize my db, therefore cant downsize my hosting requirements... almost makes me want to export and re-import everything just to allow to downsize, however it would be loosing too much custom stuff then :(

I think this should be given some priority and possible added to 1.1 as a last minute urgent addition.

We're starting to see some big boards migrate to XF now and leaving large chunks of data in the database when owners clean up their sites isn't particularly good practice, and doesn't fit in with the fantastically well polished product that XF is.

Gents, would you give this some consideration please - I know everyone wants everything adding NOW!!!!!! but this has the potential to impact on boards in a bigger way than some of the smaller feature requests.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Couldn't agree more Shaun. Surely a quick 'delete orphaned threads' tool in the ACP wouldn't be too hard to do? Just find any threads that are linked to forums that don't exist and provide a way to delete them.

Unless the problem is the work required by the XF system to handle the deletion of so many posts & threads at once?

Maybe a full-scale mass delete facility is going to be complex, hence the Future Fix.

Perhaps Steve's idea of a "Find and delete orphan threads/posts" tool would be a good interim fix?

Just my 2c worth.
Surely this is considered a data integrity issue? To have orphaned database records should be considered a showstopper.
Seems to be a case of working as designed rather than working as desired..

What have the devs said about this?
Deafening silence...
This is holding me off from purchasing xf. Some may consider this a minor issue but without a definitive statement from those in power it is not good.
"Future Fix" does not instill confidence (after 12 months).

Is there any easy work around that would allow me to carry this out, removing the posts from the DB as would IMO be the "normal" operation?? There's around 100k posts, so it would need to be something simple and not involve deleting them one at a time... ;)

Cheers
Paul

You can add some foreign keys if XenForo uses InnoDB tables. But I'm not sure what the performance impact would be when you delete a complete forum.

Top Bottom