Provide the option of moving all threads when deleting a forum

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Currently when deleting a forum there is no option to mass move all the threads within that forum and instead all threads will be deleted.

It would be useful to have an option similar to that when deleting a forum with sub-forums; to be able to move the threads into another forum.

Upvote 56
Very good idea! This would also help prevent deleting thousands of threads in a forum without really thinking (one of those unfortunate things tied with just plain deleting at the moment).

I would absolutely love this.
We have a large number of threads to move. They sit there looking at me with reproachful characters.
I hear them call to me at night.
If it's not added soon, my neurotic tic is going to attempt to do it manually page by page.
*twitch*

biggrin.png

I'll have to ask our forum Guru about that. It's beyond me.
I'll wait for the update that includes mass movement. That's more my level of capabilities at this time.
*twitch*

biggrin.png

Absolutely important suggestion. I deleted a forum and thought the next screen was going to ask where I wanted to move the threads that were in it, but no dice... gone like the wind lol

It's fairly simple to mass move threads.
Code:
UPDATE xf_thread SET node_id = 1 WHERE node_id = 2;

Where 1 is the new (destination) node id and 2 is the old (source) node id :)
That seems pretty technical, it requires knowledge on how to access an SQL console (or phpmyadmin), how to execute a query, not to say how to get the node ids (and understanding what a node_id) is ...

I don't think it would be prohibitively difficult (pretty simply update query), but I can certainly see why it should be easier for folks with no SQL background at all.

Reality check: Given the way that the routing in XF works, if we were to import our whole forum, then merge several individual forums nodes into one, the redirect from the original thread would still work, correct? Because XF just needs to see the post id# and that would be provided by Kier's redirect script. Then based on whatever route structure we had setup, it would display either flat (/threads/****.####) or with the new forum name in the URL. And that would all be 301'd by Kier's script?

It's fairly simple to mass move threads.
Code:
UPDATE xf_thread SET node_id = 1 WHERE node_id = 2;

Where 1 is the new (destination) node id and 2 is the old (source) node id :)

I tested this, and it works brilliantly. Wish this could make it in for gold, but I can understand the lockdown on any new features. I would imagine a bunch of people who import and begin to use XF would also take the opportunity to do any re-categorizing and other sorting and might like to move all threads from one forum into another without making subs.

Hopefully 1.01!

Top Bottom