XF 2.2 Default email address must be valid? How to set a different Reply To email address?

Stuart Wright

The XF2 manual says that the the Default email address
/admin.php?options/groups/emailOptions/
has to be valid.
But I don't want to receive emails from people who mistakenly reply to their forum notifications (despite having a big, bold message telling them not to).
I get a lot of them.
I want to set the reply address to noreply@avforums.com which will immediately get the sender a Delivery Status Notification (Failure) email.
How can I do this?

You could setup an auto reply with a short message saying that mailbox is unmonitored. Might be a more graceful way of informing them of a delivery failure.

Would noreply not be a dedicated noreply mailbox? If it was you could just set all incoming mail to get an automatic reply as any incoming mail to that address would be a mistake.

Would noreply not be a dedicated noreply mailbox? If it was you could just set all incoming mail to get an automatic reply as any incoming mail to that address would be a mistake.
No, there is no dedicated setting for the reply to email address, so error replies would land in the same mailbox as all my other emails. I would have to set up a rule to autoreply to the error emails.

Why not setup a dedicate noreply box it if you don't want them going into your main email?
The issue is that there is not a way to set a separate reply email address, so there would be no way to distinguish between bad emails being sent to the main email address and genuine emails being sent to it.

There are two different email addresses which can be used in XF.

The default email address which is typically something like noreply@ and is unmonitored.

And the contact email address which is usually contact@ which goes to a monitored account.

Not really seeing what the issue is with that set up.

There are two different email addresses which can be used in XF.

The default email address which is typically something like noreply@ and is unmonitored.

And the contact email address which is usually contact@ which goes to a monitored account.

Not really seeing what the issue is with that set up.
Thanks for replying. My issue was that as an admin, one wouldn't expect to enter an invalid email for the default email address.
Now you've made it clear that it's fine, I've gone ahead and done that.

Thanks for replying. My issue was that as an admin, one wouldn't expect to enter an invalid email for the default email address.
Now you've made it clear that it's fine, I've gone ahead and done that.
I mean, I wouldn't enter an invalid email in this case. I would enter a legitimate noreply@ email address and setup an auto responder to gracefully inform my users the account isn't monitored.

Top Bottom