Deciding to migrate, but...

Nasr

I'm considering migrating my forums from vb 4.0 to xF. My only question here to you experienced webmasters, is, I have a database of about 200K posts, but it's almost 600m :S, dont know how it got that big. Anyway, I'm thinking of just importing the posts along with the users and not the attachments. Would you recommend I do this if I dont really care about the attachements?

Thank you very much sir. Now, do you have any tip on uploading that 600M database to my local server beside using msql command cuz i cant seem to figure out how to use that consol unless u. I've tried bigdump and it gives me an error. i've tried phpmyadmin and it also times out. i've changed the max excution time to 3000 seconds but still times out. and i'm stuck wondering how to upload it.

Using shell commands is really the best way to handle large databases. Here is the standard mysqldump command you can use to create a backup:

mysqldump --opt -uUSER -pPASS DBNAME > backup.sql

And here is the restore command:

mysql -uUSER -pPASS DBNAME < backup.sql

Using shell commands is really the best way to handle large databases. Here is the standard mysqldump command you can use to create a backup:

mysqldump --opt -uUSER -pPASS DBNAME > backup.sql

And here is the restore command:

mysql -uUSER -pPASS DBNAME < backup.sql

ok, i'll try that, where does my backup.sql file have to be for it to work? in what directory, i'm using windows btw

The commands for Windows are a little different. Here are the Windows commands with full paths specified.

Backup command:

"C:\PATH\TO\MYSQL\bin\mysqldump.exe" --opt -uUSER -pPASS DBNAME > "C:\PATH\TO\backup.sql"

Restore command:

"C:\PATH\TO\MYSQL\bin\mysql.exe" -uUSER -pPASS DBNAME < "C:\PATH\TO\backup.sql"

why would you do that while you can import everything using this importer
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/vbulletin-4-import-adapted-for-attachments.5726/
it works great with me

my only concerned are albums,thread tags, and thread prefix
-----
How?
simple steps
  1. install new version of xenforo [yoursite.com/forum/install]
  2. then you need to import your old data from [Admin Control Panel > Tools >Import External Data ]
  3. just follow the steps so simple

Top Bottom